The word ពរ

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Re: The word ពរ

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Yes I think I'm going to start using songs more as a language resource too.
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:09 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 am That word was also featured in the same story.
Haha I'm learning a lot from children's books:)
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:34 pm អៀវ Ithink😎
Spigzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am

Piggyback is "e-ul". Buggered if I know the Khmer letters to write that. :hattip:
correct :good:
haha its good to have a way of learning and getting introduced to new words, mine is through translating songs :thumb:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm Yes I think I'm going to start using songs more as a language resource too.
phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 am That word was also featured in the same story.
phnompenhsteve wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:34 pm អៀវ Ithink😎

haha its good to have a way of learning and getting introduced to new words, mine is through translating songs :thumb:
:thumb:
let me know if you do
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
B1.Barang
Expatriate

Post by B1.Barang »

It really depends on the whole sentences! It must be very complicated for you! Keep pulling your socks up! You came out with questions that mean you study really hard!
Think about these sentences
ពរ for blessing
- ព្រះសង្ឃប្រគេនពរដល់ញាតិញោមពុទ្ធបរិស័ទ
- សូមប្រសិទ្ធពរជ័យដល់ភ្ញៀវកិត្តិយស
-ជូនពរថ្ងៃខួបកំនើត
-អោយពរ
ពរ to carry
* មិនអាចពរ ពរកូន អោយពរ
Anyway, in Khmer we don’t have to explain much about it! Just remember spelling and you can hear it from other people every day! Sooner or later you can use it correctly!

Good luck for you khmer class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tathom
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by tathom »

may be just a problem with orthography,
which is very common in khmer books

there are 2 entries in Headley 1997:

ពរ pɔɔ
1 n wish, desire; good wishes, blessing, benediction
2 v to coat (a boat) with tar / pitch to waterproof it, caulk
3 i yes (response particle used by monks, similar to បាទ

and

ព pɔɔ
v to carry something (esp. a child) in one arm on the hip Variant ពហ៍
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Thank you very much brother.
B1.Barang wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:37 am It really depends on the whole sentences! It must be very complicated for you! Keep pulling your socks up! You came out with questions that mean you study really hard!
Think about these sentences
ពរ for blessing
- ព្រះសង្ឃប្រគេនពរដល់ញាតិញោមពុទ្ធបរិស័ទ
- សូមប្រសិទ្ធពរជ័យដល់ភ្ញៀវកិត្តិយស
-ជូនពរថ្ងៃខួបកំនើត
-អោយពរ
ពរ to carry
* មិនអាចពរ ពរកូន អោយពរ
Anyway, in Khmer we don’t have to explain much about it! Just remember spelling and you can hear it from other people every day! Sooner or later you can use it correctly!

Good luck for you khmer class!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Actually are there any songs that you would recommend to me to start?
old or new are okay and something with the khmer lyrics in the video or description.
If it was something you've translated into English that would be great as sometimes i can understand
all the words in a sentence but still can't grasp the meaning of the sentence.
Only if you have time of course. But I would be very appreciative:)
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:35 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm Yes I think I'm going to start using songs more as a language resource too.

let me know if you do
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 pm Actually are there any songs that you would recommend to me to start?
old or new are okay and something with the khmer lyrics in the video or description.
If it was something you've translated into English that would be great as sometimes i can understand
let me know if you do
yeah man thats why i mentioned to let me know,
ive translated a good 200+ songs so far,
id probably suggest newer songs over the older ones (i find the language is sometimes a bit dated) but its good to mix it up,
there are lots of videos on youtube with the lyrics on screen, or you can watch the karaoke videos (but will have to keep pausing it while you write the script down)

yeah one of the things i found with translating the songs is you start to notice patterns, where certain words are used more commonly in certain contexts in sentences etc, or where words are used figuratively, so it gets easier over time, and helps a lot with understanding words and how they are used

if you let me know some of your favourite songs, or songs you would like to know the meaning/translations, if ive translated it already ill send you over the khmer script for you to translate then we can compare translations and i can give you some pointers
ive got a khmer lyrics thread on here where you can post on mate if you want post357019.html?hilit=lyrics#p357019
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Hey thanks. i will go through the threat and try find some songs to learn.
I probably will want to study a few first and look at your translation before attempting
to translate on my own but I think it would be a good exercise for the near future.
I've done plenty of Japanese-English translating so am at least familiar with the process:)
One khmer song that I quite enjoy is ចេញឲឆ្ងាយ.The video does have lyrics on although it's
a bit too fast for now to try sing along. But have you translated this yet or would you be
willing to?I'd love to see the translation and compare.
I included a link to the video.
Cheers:)

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:36 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:31 pm Actually are there any songs that you would recommend to me to start?

let me know if you do
id probably suggest newer songs over the older ones (i find the language is sometimes a bit dated) but its good to mix it up,
there are lots of videos on youtube with the lyrics on screen, or you can watch the karaoke videos (but will have to keep pausing it while you write the script down)

yeah one of the things i found with translating the songs is you start to notice patterns, where certain words are used more commonly in certain contexts in sentences etc, or where words are used figuratively, so it gets easier over time, and helps a lot with understanding words and how they are used

if you let me know some of your favourite songs, or songs you would like to know the meaning/translations, if ive translated it already ill send you over the khmer script for you to translate then we can compare translations and i can give you some pointers
ive got a khmer lyrics thread on here where you can post on mate if you want post357019.html?hilit=lyrics#p357019
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 am Hey thanks. i will go through the threat and try find some songs to learn.
I probably will want to study a few first and look at your translation before attempting
to translate on my own but I think it would be a good exercise for the near future.
I've done plenty of Japanese-English translating so am at least familiar with the process:)
One khmer song that I quite enjoy is ចេញឲឆ្ងាយ.The video does have lyrics on although it's
a bit too fast for now to try sing along. But have you translated this yet or would you be

let me know if you do

no i havent, but yeah ill translate it so you can compare our interpretations, will try do it tonight if i have time :thumb:
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Awesome,thanks
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:56 pm
phnompenhsteve wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:10 am Hey thanks. i will go through the threat and try find some songs to learn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCwQnzGsQM

let me know if you do

no i havent, but yeah ill translate it so you can compare our interpretations, will try do it tonight if i have time :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic