The word ពរ

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: The word ពរ

Post by Username Taken »

@phnompenhsteve

@Jamie_Lambo's source for future reference: http://dict.antkh.com/dictionaries/carry.aspx
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Ok that clears it up well.
Thank you😁😛
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 am
phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:49 am In this sentence: ម៉ែមិនអាចពរកូនបានទេ។
from the context ពរmeans to pick up or hold? possibly
but according to the dictionary it means to wish or bless
Alternatively "to waterproof something"
Neither definition fits the context of the story.
Is there anyone who can help me out with this?
Thanks
thanks for the tag @Username Taken

heres the explanation you desire @phnompenhsteve

Carry
(FIGURATIVE) ញុះញង ships carry cargo ដឹកនាំ, carrier in the hand, hold កាន់ carrier on the shoulder លី carrier suspended between two persons សែង, carrier suspended from one end of a shoulder pole រែក, carrier on the hip កណ្ដៀត, carrier on the head ទូល, carrier suspended from the hand យួរ, carrier (a child) on the hip ពរ, carrier cradled in the arms បី, carrier (a child) on one's shoulder លី
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

Thanks alot!!
Username Taken wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:23 am @phnompenhsteve

@Jamie_Lambo's source for future reference: http://dict.antkh.com/dictionaries/carry.aspx
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:57 am Because it continues ធំហោយ ie "you're too big(to be blessed?)" And in the picture the 6 year old girl is trying to pick her up. So doesn't fit the context.
And my khmer friend says here it means to carry but i can't find that definition in a dictionary. So just looling more into it so i can better understand how the word is used.

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:37 am Why do you say that it doesn't fit the context of the story? What would you say is the context of the story?

Your translations of ពរ seem to be on track.

Throwing the entire sentence in GT it gives, "I cannot bless you", or "Men can not bless the child".

@Jamie_Lambo should be out of bed soon.
Maybe the meaning of the sentence is, "You're too big for me to carry." Ever see one kid struggling to carry another?
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Cinnamoncat wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 6:43 am Maybe the meaning of the sentence is, "You're too big for me to carry." Ever see one kid struggling to carry another?
Phnompenhsteve already gave the link to the source.

https://reader.letsreadasia.org/read/44 ... d98235e3b8

Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm Sorry can't find anything in a dictionary, but my kids assure me that in that sentence ពរ means to carry like a baby or maybe like to piggy back.
Piggyback is "e-ul". Buggered if I know the Khmer letters to write that. :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

អៀវ Ithink😎
Spigzy wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:34 am
Username Taken wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:56 pm Sorry can't find anything in a dictionary, but my kids assure me that in that sentence ពរ means to carry like a baby or maybe like to piggy back.
Piggyback is "e-ul". Buggered if I know the Khmer letters to write that. :hattip:
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:34 pm អៀវ Ithink😎
correct :good:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
phnompenhsteve
Expatriate
Canada

Post by phnompenhsteve »

That word was also featured in the same story.
Haha I'm learning a lot from children's books:)
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phnompenhsteve wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:16 am That word was also featured in the same story.
Haha I'm learning a lot from children's books:)
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:53 am
haha its good to have a way of learning and getting introduced to new words, mine is through translating songs :thumb:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic