Does a lease agreement have to be in Khmer to be valid?

Looking for an apartment to rent in Phnom Penh? We have you covered. This is a good starting point for expats who are in the process of moving to Cambodia to live and work. Finding a villa, condo, flat, or borey to stay in when you arrive is probably one of your top priorities. Check out our listings from the community! And if you have a house or apartment for rent, you're welcome to list it here for free. Kampot, Siem Reap, Battambang, Sihanoukville, and other provinces around Cambodia also have places to rent, but you might have better luck finding them on foot after you arrive, as the largest number of listings are in the capital city of Phnom Penh.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Does a lease agreement have to be in Khmer to be valid?

Post by AndyKK »

pczz wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Jo Bold wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm Thank you PSD-Kiwi, you were a big help!
I believ it also has to be provided in English or home language of the renter if it is a foreigner, but the khmer document is the legal one and would be the one in court. leastwise thats whats always happened with me, i get a khmer and english copy, both signed and witnessed. Any mistranslations in the foreign language version would be irrelevant so before you sign it go to a notary and have the translation checked so you know what you are signing
I maybe wrong here pczz but I would have thought if it was also in the home language of the renter, it would be more of just goodwill from the landlords, also being the responsibility of the renter to translate the Khmer lease.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

I don't know specifically about leases but my Khmer lawyer once told me that a business agreement in English between foreigners would probably be recognised by the Cambodian courts. Best to have it in both languages to be sure.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

had 3 leases here ...all were in both Khmer and English and all were only as reliable as the landlord.
you can be terminated tomorrow after you just paid your rent the day before..
I don't think a lease in Cambodia is worth the paper it is written on in any language....
chinese bought my building in chinaville...7 months left.
owner in Kampot was showing my place trying to sell it out from under me and give me the boot...the expat exodus from chinaville had brought higher prices and he was kicking himself for renting to me too cheap....he now wanted $500/month...
I hated the place and did him a favor and moved after 11 months....He was so happy and I got my 2 months deposit back and the hell out of Kampot.
I have a great apartment in Siem Reap...and I think their is a glut of rental properties here.
If something comes up in the next 6 months...I will have no trouble finding a new place.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:27 pm
pczz wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:29 pm
Jo Bold wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm Thank you PSD-Kiwi, you were a big help!
I believ it also has to be provided in English or home language of the renter if it is a foreigner, but the khmer document is the legal one and would be the one in court. leastwise thats whats always happened with me, i get a khmer and english copy, both signed and witnessed. Any mistranslations in the foreign language version would be irrelevant so before you sign it go to a notary and have the translation checked so you know what you are signing
I maybe wrong here pczz but I would have thought if it was also in the home language of the renter, it would be more of just goodwill from the landlords, also being the responsibility of the renter to translate the Khmer lease.
When i have used agents they always give me a copy in english to sign and the information comes from them. I have never had to pay for a translation. As you say it may be a courtesy thing, but tyhe implied it was alegl obligation
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As a non-Khmer speaker, you can request the Contract to be provided in another language, but only the Khmer version is legally binding, this is the version that all parties are required to sign. Any decent agent or landlord will provide you with a translation of the lease in your Native language (if possible) as a common courtesy.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I ask for it to be English aswel or have a Cambodian friend look at before signing.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic