Buying an Oven.

This is where you can buy and sell anything you want in Cambodia! There is no 'Craigslist Cambodia,' so this is the next best thing. Most items for sale are in Phnom Penh, but this is a buy and sell section for the whole country. Many expats and tourists have new and used items to sell, so anyone can list them here. CEO has no part in these sales, so buyers and sellers need to get in contact with each other themselves. You're always welcome to list items you're giving away for free, as we encourage the community to give when they can. Amazon and eBay ship select items to Cambodia, but you save time and money when you do things locally.
pluvicreous
Tourist
Cambodia

Buying an Oven.

Post by pluvicreous »

Where can one buy an oven in Siem Reap?
Gas or electric (electric preferred)
Preferably a stand alone unit that could be placed outside.
:please:
Advertisement
CamboQuick Cambodia Amazon Shipping
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Buying an Oven.

Post by Clemen »

I can't help with where to buy one. Keep in mind dodgy wiring, brown outs, and blackouts. I would use gas instead
up to you...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Clemen wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:22 pm I can't help with where to buy one. Keep in mind dodgy wiring, brown outs, and blackouts. I would use gas instead

NO, NO, NO Don't buy a gas oven. Have you ever owned and used a gas oven. Impossible to bake breads or anything crispy as you need a dry heat. Gas heat is " wet " as you have condensation from the fuel.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Duncan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:29 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:22 pm I can't help with where to buy one. Keep in mind dodgy wiring, brown outs, and blackouts. I would use gas instead

NO, NO, NO Don't buy a gas oven. Have you ever owned and used a gas oven. Impossible to bake breads or anything crispy as you need a dry heat. Gas heat is " wet " as you have condensation from the fuel.
Is that a joke?
up to you...
bittermelon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by bittermelon »

Back home I bought one of those glass, halogen +fan ovens. They're as good or better than any full size electric oven I've used, particularly good for nice browned chicken and pork, good for baking too and you can see whats going on. Economical power wise, no preheating necessary. Feel like I've seen them for sale here, I'm sure another poster posted a pic and details a while back. This is from Thailand, maybe Macro has them

https://www.shopat24.com/p/Grand-Home-H ... lsQAvD_BwE
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Gas ovens are perfectly good for baking and anything crispy. The problem with most of the gas ovens available in Cambodia though is that they don't have thermostats to control the temperature, there are only 2 settings...hot & hotter.

To the OP...not sure about Siem Reap, but there are several places in PP just in case you can't find what you need in SR. Gas Toansamay - Modern Gas https://www.facebook.com/gas.toansamay/ have a decent range of basic ovens, or if you have a bigger budget then the Aeon Mall 1 department store has a couple of Electrolux ovens available, gas stove top/electric oven.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

pluvicreous wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:38 pm Where can one buy an oven in Siem Reap?
Gas or electric (electric preferred)
Preferably a stand alone unit that could be placed outside.
:please:
In Siem Reap check Sunsimexco or Makro (in Makro Phnom Penh at least I have seen ovens). In Phnom Penh Aeon or Global House.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Clemen wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Is that a joke?

That is no joke. Ever wondered why pizza ovens are not gas?
I guess you will find out how good a gas oven is after you have bought it and used it a few times.
For most baking you want a dry heat.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Why would you want to buy an electric oven to put outside in the rainy season. Sound like a shocking idea
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Duncan wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:07 pm
Clemen wrote: Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:31 pm

Is that a joke?

That is no joke. Ever wondered why pizza ovens are not gas?
I guess you will find out how good a gas oven is after you have bought it and used it a few times.
For most baking you want a dry heat.
You're wrong on that, gas ovens are better vented than electric, most moisture comes from the food being cooked. The majority of pizza ovens sold are gas, the exceptions mainly being conveyor belt ovens (Pizza Hut, dominos etc. though many CBOs are gas) and wood fired usually used for Neapolitan style pizza which require a much higher temperature.
In any case, we're in Cambodia, if I had an electric range I would have spent a few months this year eating cold food and uncooked dough.
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic