Death

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Death

Post by Spigzy »

It’s a retirement community.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

I always liked this, by Henry Scott Holland:

Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is this death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before. How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!"

Well that might appeal to you and others, but doesn't apply to me. I want to be remembered as General Patton was remembered by those who served with him. " He could be a sonavabitch, but he was our sonavabitch.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

one of my favorite Morrison ( from the doors) songs>>

Wow, I'm sick of doubt
Live in the light of certain
South
Cruel bindings
The servants have the power
Dog-men and their mean women
Pulling poor blankets over
Our sailors

I'm sick of dour faces
Staring at me from the TV tower
I want roses in
My garden bower; dig?
Royal babies, rubies
Must now replace aborted
Strangers in the mud
These mutants, blood-meal
For the plant that's plowed
They are waiting to take us into
The severed garden
Do you know how pale and wanton thrillful
Comes death on a strange hour
Unannounced, unplanned for
Like a scaring over-friendly guest you've
Brought to bed
Death makes angels of us all
And gives us wings
Where we had shoulders
Smooth as raven's
Claws

Something i think about regarding suicide is how you wish to be found, ( with a needle in ur arm, head blown off, hanging from a tree, siting in a bathtub of bloody water, foaming at the mouth. etc etc) and how devastating it is to the one finding you..
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

It's down to the individual and saying oh there are lots of positive things you could do, people that need help etc...I think misses the point that a truly suicidal person cannot see the pleasure or point in anything at all. Still, not as daft as saying 'what about the starving kids in Africa eh? what about them huh?'
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

The Seawolf wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:50 pm It's down to the individual and saying oh there are lots of positive things you could do, people that need help etc...I think misses the point that a truly suicidal person cannot see the pleasure or point in anything at all. Still, not as daft as saying 'what about the starving kids in Africa eh? what about them huh?'
Just to add to the above link I would like to say that I have done my part for better or for worse. I don't buy into celestial recycling but in any case my soul is packed.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

taabarang wrote:So, I intend to devote the remainder of my time left to find ways to reduce the financial struggle the absence of my SS check will impose.
Doesn’t Social Security give survivor benefits to the spouse after the primary dies?

Anyways, we all wish you the best. And may you life out your days in the way you most desire.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"Doesn’t Social Security give survivor benefits to the spouse after the primary dies?"

Under certain provisions none of which apply to my situation.
Cinnamoncat
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Cinnamoncat »

taabarang wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:29 am I always liked this, by Henry Scott Holland:

Death is nothing at all. It does not count. I have only slipped away into the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, and the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched, unchanged. Whatever we were to each other, that we are still. Call me by the old familiar name. Speak of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed together. Play, smile, think of me, pray for me. Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Let it be spoken without an effort, without the ghost of a shadow upon it. Life means all that it ever meant. It is the same as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken continuity. What is this death but a negligible accident? Why should I be out of mind because I am out of sight? I am but waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near, just round the corner. All is well. Nothing is hurt; nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was before. How we shall laugh at the trouble of parting when we meet again!"

Well that might appeal to you and others, but doesn't apply to me. I want to be remembered as General Patton was remembered by those who served with him. " He could be a sonavabitch, but he was our sonavabitch.
I like it.

Here's a poem I also like:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

by Dylan Thomas

I know that bc of your scholarly interests, you no doubt know this one.

About the piece by Henry Scott Holland---a philosopher (I need to check to remember which one) had written that "death is nothing," not as much pretty writing as Holland's, but more of a statement of fact.
"Love and Loss in Cambodia: a memoir" available on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0578537788
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Death doesn't scare me. Failing to live a full life does.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

One advantage of living in Cambodia or Thailand is that you can buy antidepressants over the counter. Do a lot of research on Google then try something. Good luck to anyone with depression, I saw too many suicides as a cop for 22 years. Even had clients with hopeless cases kill themselves as an attorney.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic