HE issues ultimatum to tycoons

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: HE issues ultimatum to tycoons

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

willyhilly wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:29 am Maybe they are just running out of trees and sand.
That is part of the equation for sure.
the power/returns/pay-off ratios are changing,
swinging towards a very different economic geography.

Eventually the rule of law and full participation in the global economy becomes more profitable than robber baron stuff.
especially when the trees have already all gone.

PS. maybe this was planned a few years ago.
That may explain the free hand to the wholesale slaughter of trees that really accelerated 4/5 years ago, especially up north.
Getting the last of them before the big changes come.
???
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia’s ‘Okhna’ Tycoons Abuse Power to Commit Crimes: NGO
2019-09-10
Tycoons in Cambodia known as “Okhna” are abusing their power to commit crimes, a nongovernmental organization said Tuesday, as those who hold the honorary title in addition to a ranking position in the military or police are being required to choose between the two to avoid conflicts of interest.

The title of Okhna—meaning nobleman or lord--is given by royal decree to anyone who has contributed at least U.S. $500,000 to the government, and many who hold the title first amassed vast fortunes through successful business ventures in Cambodia.

However, Okhna are increasingly abusing the power that comes with their title to cheat people and commit crimes with impunity, negatively impacting the value of the designation, according to Pen Bonnar, who heads the local community empowerment office of Cambodian NGO Adhoc.

Additionally, he told RFA’s Khmer Service, many officials with the military and police are “buying” the title of Okhna “to conduct business, rather than to contribute to society,” and have engaged in illegal logging and land encroachment.

Pen Bonnar’s comments come after Prime Minister HE last month ordered members of the military and police who hold the Okhna designation to choose between their official and private titles, with the ruling Cambodian People’s Party (CPP) acknowledging that the move was made to minimize conflicts of interest and prevent them from gaining business advantages or committing offenses.

Pen Bonnar on Tuesday welcomed the move, and said that no one should hold the Okhna title as well as a position of influence over society.

“It is not only members of the military [and police] that should not have the title, even NGO members shouldn’t hold it,” he said.

Since HE’s order, Cambodia’s Defense and Interior ministries have been working to identify officials within their organizational structure who carry the Okhna title, with the Defense Ministry having identified 99 to date and the Interior Ministry 33.
Full article: https://www.rfa.org/english/news/cambod ... 73610.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

September 26, 2019
HE asks King to remove Oknha titles of 75 officers

Prime Minister HE has requested King Norodom Sihamoni remove the Oknha titles of 75 senior Defence Ministry officials and officers of the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces.

According to a five-page letter signed by Mr HE last week and obtained by Khmer Times yesterday, the Prime Minister asked the King to “end the Oknha titles” of the senior RCAF officers.

“Based on the recommendations from Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Defence Tea Banh…on ending the Oknha titles of senior officers at the Royal Cambodian Armed Forces, on behalf of the Royal government of Cambodia, I wish your high permission to end the titles of 75 senior RCAF officers,” Mr HE said.

The title holders include General Neang Phat, a Defence Ministry secretary of state, General Khun Vuth, and General Chao Phally, both undersecretaries of state at the ministry.

General Uy Sarin, RCAF deputy commander, General Chao Phirun, director-general of the Defence Ministry’s material and technical services department, and General Sem Sovanny, director-general of the National Centre for Peacekeeping Forces, are also on the list.

The other tycoons listed are senior officers of the Royal Cambodian Army, Royal Cambodian Air Force, Royal Cambodian Navy and senior officials at the Defence Ministry.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50646273/h ... -officers/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Reform is here.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

frank lee bent wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:05 pm Reform is here.

Yep, next on the list will be removing military plates off private cars and bikes.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Duncan wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:31 am
frank lee bent wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:05 pm Reform is here.

Yep, next on the list will be removing military plates off private cars and bikes.
:lol:
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

I am fairly sure removing military plates is low on the list of National Priorities and is beneath HE to do.

If you look at the accomplishments of HE throughout his life you will find an extremely brave man, albeit ruthless when required.

He did end the war and unite the country. His DIFID policy is famous among rich and poor alike. As are his win-win strategies.

I can say this - with confidence - that I have met him only once and I appreciated the difficulties of his position, however others that meet him regularly say he does actually cry as his ministers and those entrusted with authority and power continually betray him and his vision for a modern Cambodia. his words being "why do you do this to Cambodia?"

I have met his son General Manet on many occasions and found him to be well liked and respected, not due to his father, but in his own right.

It's very easy to judge based on highly manipulated 'media' reports, but the answer from the senior officials is 'If YOU can do better, then please provide the solution and step up to the mark"

At the moment HE is removing the stones from the shoe - hence the drug crackdowns and the fall of the timber barons, so it's a good thing and genuine progress.

As for "Runaway Rainsy" - he had 55 seats in 2013 - I would be happy with 1 seat.

Instead of doing his job and leading the opposition - he led protests, blocking the streets - preventing people from going to work and otherwise fucked up the golden opportunity.

Many political leaders have had to face prison for their beliefs and finally came to power. We shall see if he comes on 9th November.

Gambling is illegal in Cambodia, but we have bought a case of beer to send him in jail if he has the balls... If he is a no show we will drink up as it's my birthday on that day.

If anyone can do better than HE then form your own political party and get the support of your village and go from there.

Personally, I am neutral - I don't care who is in power as long as I have my freedoms and can feed my family and give them a better life. The glass is half-full.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

My remark about reform was sincere.
The past year has seen a great deal of change.
SV is being cleaned out, the illegal timber trade and drugs being cracked down on etc etc.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

If anyone can do better than HE then form your own political party and get the support of your village and go from there
-----------------

I believe folks recently did that...…. and the result was the banning of their political party due to the having obtained the support of many villages.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

TWY wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:23 am If anyone can do better than HE then form your own political party and get the support of your village and go from there
-----------------

I believe folks recently did that...…. and the result was the banning of their political party due to the having obtained the support of many villages.
Good point and I agree..

Hazards of political life..

In the end, many of them just put the CPP banner, but their aims and goals remain the same - they just work within the system.

There are other parties.

If you can't beat HE, then you are not the right man for the job in leading the country is the short answer.

Crying 'foul' is not leadership. Running away after gaining 55 seats is not the way forward for the people, and sets a poor example, cowardice in fact.

There is no death sentence here, so it was just jail and the same applies to Mu Sochea and others. Running and hiding behind skirts in other countries and leading lifestyles the villager can only dream of, instead of actually being here and showing faith and perseverance in the face of seemingly insurmountable odds.

i am reasonably sure if they were all in jail, they would receive far more support from Cambodians and other countries would be more willing to apply pressure, for example the EU and US markets provide 90% of Cambodia's money.

I saw Rainsy on his triumphant return, I was hopeful for Cambodia, but in the end he delivered nothing but bitter disappointment for the youth who believed in him.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic