Transiting in suvarnabhumi airport?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Transiting in suvarnabhumi airport?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Do you need to pass through immigration to catch a flight with a different airline? I fly from PP to Bangkok with Bangkok Airways and 4 hrs later to Brussels with Qatar Airways. It's not a connecting flight. I have no checked in luggage.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Transiting in suvarnabhumi airport?

Post by armchairlawyer »

chinesetakeaway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:25 pm Do you need to pass through immigration to catch a flight with a different airline? I fly from PP to Bangkok with Bangkok Airways and 4 hrs later to Brussels with Qatar Airways. It's not a connecting flight. I have no checked in luggage.
Not if you have no check-in bags. Just look for the transfer signs and the Qatar desk to collect your boarding pass. You will pass through security, so don't buy duty free bottles in PP.
You may even find that PG in PNH will check a bag through to Brussels but don't rely on it.
pobrecito
BANNED

Post by pobrecito »

You're better off checking in online and printing the Qatar Airways boarding pass beforehand if you can, because then you won't have to find the Qatar Airways transfer desk, wherever that may be, and which may or may not be staffed. Transfer desks suck.

With boarding pass in hand, you just go through transfer security, after checking the monitors for your gate and determining if you want to go to the East or West transfer.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Put running shoes on - transit to/from PP to anywhere else is usually at the complete other end of that shit hole of an airport, if you can do 10km in 30 mins, you have a chance.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Spigzy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm Put running shoes on - transit to/from PP to anywhere else is usually at the complete other end of that shit hole of an airport, if you can do 10km in 30 mins, you have a chance.
Come on Spigzy, he's got four hours! The exercise is good for you.
And if you think BKK is bad, it's high time you went to Europe.
laredo
Expatriate
Germany

Post by laredo »

Have a good flight home to Brussels!
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:11 pm
Spigzy wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:05 pm Put running shoes on - transit to/from PP to anywhere else is usually at the complete other end of that shit hole of an airport, if you can do 10km in 30 mins, you have a chance.
Come on Spigzy, he's got four hours! The exercise is good for you.
And if you think BKK is bad, it's high time you went to Europe.
I confess that Frankfurt was borderline worse in July - smaller terminal, but to transfer had to walk east to west full length of terminal, upstairs, west to east, full length of terminal, up some stairs ... :evil:

The thing is, Frankfurt had fantastic food and usually more time between connections ... although in a very un-Lufthansaesque manner a delay in Marseille (can the French do anything right?!) meant I missed my Frankfurt flight, I had to run that sod 'just in case' ... with a 5-year old and his backpack on my shoulders, my backpack and a small wheeled case. Hotel overnight (very nice), on the flight to Vienna around lunchtime, then to Bangkok - where I also had to do 'the run' again through Bangkok.

So, for distance, I grant you perhaps there could be worse - but for sheer lack of soul or any kind of organisation, Bangkok is by far the worst major airport [Jeremy Clarkson voice] ... in the world.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
paparazzi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by paparazzi »

For future reference. It would have been easier to catch the Qatar flight out of Phnom Penh that heads to Doha via Ho Ch Minh.

No issues with bags or transit time. Plane leaves Phnom Penh around 5pm . 30 minutes to Ho Chi Minh. Stopover around 1 hour.

Interestingly the plane has Latam Airlines markings. New 350 on lease to Qatar.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:35 am For future reference. It would have been easier to catch the Qatar flight out of Phnom Penh that heads to Doha via Ho Ch Minh.

No issues with bags or transit time. Plane leaves Phnom Penh around 5pm . 30 minutes to Ho Chi Minh. Stopover around 1 hour.

Interestingly the plane has Latam Airlines markings. New 350 on lease to Qatar.
Two things about that flight out of PP...

- ticket much more expensive than from Bkk
- long lay overs to Europe in Qatar on the flight to Europe

Bad value
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

3 years ago I needed to go to the Thai post kiosk in the general public part of the airport outside the secured area during a 4 hour layover.

They waved me through, out and back in, no stamps.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic