Transiting in suvarnabhumi airport?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Re: Transiting in suvarnabhumi airport?

Post by chinesetakeaway »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:49 am
paparazzi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:35 am For future reference. It would have been easier to catch the Qatar flight out of Phnom Penh that heads to Doha via Ho Ch Minh.

No issues with bags or transit time. Plane leaves Phnom Penh around 5pm . 30 minutes to Ho Chi Minh. Stopover around 1 hour.

Interestingly the plane has Latam Airlines markings. New 350 on lease to Qatar.
Two things about that flight out of PP...

- ticket much more expensive than from Bkk
- long lay overs to Europe in Qatar on the flight to Europe

Bad value
Exactly. It would have been over 400$ more expensive flying from PP, and the layover from Bangkok is under 2 hrs both ways.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

paparazzi wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:35 am For future reference. It would have been easier to catch the Qatar flight out of Phnom Penh that heads to Doha via Ho Ch Minh.

No issues with bags or transit time. Plane leaves Phnom Penh around 5pm . 30 minutes to Ho Chi Minh. Stopover around 1 hour.

Bad value
Depends totally where in Europe you fly. Every time I have flied, it's been 1-2 hour layover. I been flying to Scandinavia. And it's been hardly over $100 more when you count the expenses flying to BKK first. And when you fly via Bangkok with separate ticket you take the risk PP-BKK flight being late/cancelled and losing a lot more money since then you need to buy new ticket to Europe.

And if you have long layover in Qatar, why not take advance on their free night (*now days it's ~$25 though) in 5 star hotel?
chinesetakeaway
Expatriate
Niue

Post by chinesetakeaway »

armchairlawyer wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:51 pm
chinesetakeaway wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:25 pm Do you need to pass through immigration to catch a flight with a different airline? I fly from PP to Bangkok with Bangkok Airways and 4 hrs later to Brussels with Qatar Airways. It's not a connecting flight. I have no checked in luggage.
Not if you have no check-in bags. Just look for the transfer signs and the Qatar desk to collect your boarding pass. You will pass through security, so don't buy duty free bottles in PP.
You may even find that PG in PNH will check a bag through to Brussels but don't rely on it.
Thanks for this tip! I contacted bangkok airways and they said they can check my bag through to brussels with Qatar airways from here.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:55 pm

Bad value
Depends totally where in Europe you fly. Every time I have flied, it's been 1-2 hour layover. I been flying to Scandinavia. And it's been hardly over $100 more when you count the expenses flying to BKK first. And when you fly via Bangkok with separate ticket you take the risk PP-BKK flight being late/cancelled and losing a lot more money since then you need to buy new ticket to Europe.

And if you have long layover in Qatar, why not take advance on their free night (*now days it's ~$25 though) in 5 star hotel?
Because:

- their lowest ticket classes are not eligible for a free / cheap stopover.
- your layover needs to be looooong (12 hours or more), for me it would be 8-9 hours, not enough for the stopover, but too long for a convenient trip. To get a longer lay over and use the free/cheap stopover I need a ticket with a stopover which is in another booking class with a higher price. There's no such thing as free lunch you know.

And believe me, the price difference will cover for a return flight to Bangkok, a nice hotel in Bangkok, and a choice from a long list of airlines with competitive prices.

I fly BKK-AMS return in September. From PNH it would cost me USD 939 with Qatar (8:35 layover in Qatar, total time to Europe 25:30 hours), similar with Emirates. The same trip from Bangkok, with a 2 hour layover (trip time 17 hours) I can buy for EUR 527,-. That's an almost 400 difference per person, and there's three of us.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Bad value

Because:

- your layover needs to be looooong (12 hours or more), for me it would be 8-9 hours, not enough for the stopover, but too long for a convenient trip. To get a longer lay over and use the free/cheap stopover I need a ticket with a stopover which is in another booking class with a higher price. There's no such thing as free lunch you know.

And believe me, the price difference will cover for a return flight to Bangkok, a nice hotel in Bangkok, and a choice from a long list of airlines with competitive prices.

I fly BKK-AMS return in September. From PNH it would cost me USD 939 with Qatar (8:35 layover in Qatar, total time to Europe 25:30 hours), similar with Emirates. The same trip from Bangkok, with a 2 hour layover (trip time 17 hours) I can buy for EUR 527,-. That's an almost 400 difference per person, and there's three of us.
Lower ticket classes are eligible for the free (/cheap) hotel as well. As long as you ticket number starts with 157. The stopover needed to be 8 hours before, for this year they extended it to 12 hours. For me the price difference with short stopover vs stopover eligible for the hotel has been $20-$60 only.

I have personally stayed in Qatar in free hotel 5 times and 4 times out of those I had the cheapest possible ticket class. Last time was last March. I have flied with Qatar 3-4 times with in last 2 years from/to Phnom Penh and I have never paid over $650 for my tickets. Cheapest being $400 1,5 years ago.

But like I said, the price and stopover time really depends where you fly in Europe and when you book your ticket.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

rogerrabbit wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:35 pm
Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:37 pm

Bad value

Because:

Lower ticket classes are eligible for the free (/cheap) hotel as well. As long as you ticket number starts with 157. The stopover needed to be 8 hours before, for this year they extended it to 12 hours. For me the price difference with short stopover vs stopover eligible for the hotel has been $20-$60 only.

I have personally stayed in Qatar in free hotel 5 times and 4 times out of those I had the cheapest possible ticket class. Last time was last March. I have flied with Qatar 3-4 times with in last 2 years from/to Phnom Penh and I have never paid over $650 for my tickets. Cheapest being $400 1,5 years ago.

But like I said, the price and stopover time really depends where you fly in Europe and when you book your ticket.
I once had a bargain too, So cheap we stayed at the Doha airport hotel during the lay over, But despite our 8:30 lay over we were denied a free / cheap stopover. And This was 2 years ago. So I can’t confirm your experience.
JUDGEDREDD
Expatriate
Christmas Island

Post by JUDGEDREDD »

Turning from an airport into a dock? Or did it have it's dock removed?
Slow down little world, you're changing too fast.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic