Mall Mania in Phnom Penh

Whether you're a working stiff or a business owner yourself, this is the place to discuss all aspects of financing your drinking habit ;-)

NO BUSINESS SALES HERE PLEASE, WE HAVE A SECTION FOR THAT IN THE CLASSIFIEDS.
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Re: Mall Mania in Phnom Penh

Post by rogerrabbit »

Duncan wrote: Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:06 pm I have noticed a lot of AEON Max Value stores opening here. A new one at Chak Angre and another ready to open any-day soon at Takhmau.

I wonder if they are to become the '' 7/11 '' of Cambodia.
No it will not. Aeon has plan to open only 30-40 stores in next few years in PP, SR and SHK. Now they have 6-7 stores open in PP. Circle K will probably be the 7/11 of Cambodia like it is in HCM too. They have been opening 2-4 stores each month in 2019 and have already over 30 stores in PP and SR. Plan is to have over 300 stores open within next 2 years.

Where in Takhmau you saw the Maxvalu store?
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

Here's to modernization.

It won't be long before 172 and 51 streets are demolished and replaced by modern malls either.

:whistler:
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

I wouldn't mind. 51 and 172 are the least places in PP worthy of preservation. Especially 51. From what I have seen the "nightlife" is around 136 anyway.
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

Interesting topic about malls.
Malls in the USA are being torn down.
They were amazing back 40-50 years ago.
Kids grew up there.
Then, they began to lose their grip on the consumer.
The super stores arrived ..
The internet arrived.
Jeff Besos arrived.
One of the things I have told my wife for years is how much Cambodia is like the USA during various periods of its history.
I have lived and worked in LA, Chicago, Phoenix, Dallas, near D.C....all over.
I grew up in the Kansas City Metro area.
I have a house in bumbfuck Kansas in the country.
Malls grow tired and as cities grow the people with higher incomes move out and the cool mall of a few years ago becomes a ghost town.
The tenants change and clientele changes and they fade away.
Malls take too much money to operate.
They will have their life in Cambodia.
But, my wife would never go. She dresses down and goes to the local markets sans ME
I go to the newer Psar Angkor on National 6.
She goes with me but never in there alone.
I agree if they are building all of these new dwellings for chinese and non Khmers...they, need affluent shopping districts for them to strut around in.
It is a very good point.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Malls in the US are a cautionary tale.

Innovate or die.

The ones that don’t innovate and provide services that can’t be had on Amazon die.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

When I first came to Cambodia I often bought stuff at the Sydney Supermarket / mall cause many things were cheaper. As time went by there were less and less items on the shelves and it got to the stage where they turned off the air-con,,,, then half the lights,,, then you almost had to take your own torch to see your way around inside.
You could see the end coming,,, and it did.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

The next one was Pencil Supermarkets. I think one has gone and one more is on it's way out. The last time I was in there it had the same disease,,, air-con off, half the lights off,, plenty of items on the shelves, but I was the only customer.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
frizzie77
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by frizzie77 »

Duncan wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 12:20 pm The next one was Pencil Supermarkets. I think one has gone and one more is on it's way out. The last time I was in there it had the same disease,,, air-con off, half the lights off,, plenty of items on the shelves, but I was the only customer.
I used to go to Pencil to get the few things I need from a supermarket. Not anymore. I now buy them at my favourite mini-mart which has the items I want, often for the same price or even cheaper than Pencil.
Queef
Expatriate
New Caledonia

Post by Queef »

The big boss of Aeon got fired a few days ago. First time this happens in 23 years. Is a shit storm brewing? Maybe.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2020/ ... h6kl8gzbD5
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Hyundai wins bid to build mall in Cambodia
Hyundai Engineering of the Republic of Korea recently announced it has won a 164-million-USD bid to build the AEON Mall 3 project development in Phnom Penh.
VNA Wednesday, April 22, 2020 15:30

Phnom Penh (VNA) - Hyundai Engineering of the Republic of Korea recently announced it has won a 164-million-USD bid to build the AEON Mall 3 project development in Phnom Penh.

Officials of the Korean company said that it secured the project from AEON Mall, one of Japan’s largest distribution groups, which operates more than 200 shopping centres around the world.

The site is 170,000 sq.m, the largest of the three AEON malls in Cambodia, all of which are in Phnom Penh. The mall is expected to open in 2023.
https://en.vietnamplus.vn/hyundai-wins- ... 172155.vnp
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic