How do you handle loans in the KoW

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

How do you handle loans in the KoW

Post by Kammekor »

I came across a thread about a monk killing a motodup over (apparently) a loan and the thread derailed into the subject of loans in Cambodia. A subject worth a thread of its' own I think.

Let me start by saying I don't do loans. First of all I don't want the worries of getting the money back, second, if I would loan money, I'd have to charge crazy interest rates to ever get my money back. Charging 15-20% (or even higher rates) for a loan feels unethical in a country where most people (at least where I live) are still dirt-poor.
But... If I would charge reasonable rates (let's say 3-5% per year) I would never be paid back. The person I loaned the money to would pass the loan on to someone else, charging 15-20% (or more) thus making money from my money.

Because I'm such a Cheap Charley with loans the amount of request has dried up completely. It's not I never provide financial support, but never with a loan. Don't feel like being burnt again. It's that simple.

<edited for typos>
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: How do you handle loans in the KoW

Post by taabarang »

You're preaching to the choir in my case.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Mrs Cargo has given out 'loans' to 'friends' who have not paid her back...after she hassled them for payment they either 'unfriended' her or changed their sim card. I mention 'loans' coz they might as well say 'can you give me some money'.

I think she's learnt a lesson.....hopefully. :chin:
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Cambodians love to borrow money but hate to pay it back. Interest rates are calculated monthly not yearly - 4% is normal, higher also common. Do not lend any money that you can not afford to lose. Do not lend to friends. Do not lend to anybody without documentation. Do not lend money!
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Post by lostjeremy »

Collateral....
Never loan without first collecting their original national ID Card, family book and smart phone at a minimum.
Passport, Moto, car, vehicle tax/I'd card are additional security.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

lostjeremy wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:12 pm Collateral....
Never loan without first collecting their original national ID Card, family book and smart phone at a minimum.
Passport, Moto, car, vehicle tax/I'd card are additional security.
A xiffdr
Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk
There's a difference between being cautious and a Shylock.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Post by The Seawolf »

"Neither lender nor borrower be. For loan oft loses both itself and friend, And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry."

Hamlet.
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I've found that the best way of avoiding loan hassles is to simply not loan money at all. Neither to Western friends (who are often just as equally likely to give you hassle about paying it back) or Khmers.

People might say that's a bit tight of me and that I should put myself in their shoes and what if I was ever desperate enough to need to borrow money - My answer is that is I've always made sure I have enough money to sustain myself, even in a crisis. Partly because I never lend it out.

Borrowing money to buy property or start a business is one thing, but the fact that someone is desperate to borrow money to get them through the month should tell you something about their attitude towards money, which will inevitably roll over to their attitude towards paying you back.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CamExpat »

clutchcargo wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:32 pm Mrs Cargo has given out 'loans' to 'friends' who have not paid her back...after she hassled them for payment they either 'unfriended' her or changed their sim card. I mention 'loans' coz they might as well say 'can you give me some money'.

I think she's learnt a lesson.....hopefully. :chin:

In Asia, I've noticed that 'could you loan me $100 dollars' usually means 'can you give me $100 dollars'. I've seen family ask each other for loans they full well knew they couldn't pay back.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

My wife chastises me for even mentioning money to her family. None of whom need a loan but she doesn’t want anyone knowing as there’s a chance they will ask for a loan. A very proactive approach to money lending if you ask me. Plead poverty and they won’t even think to ask.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic