Two Foreigners Arrested Taking Drugs in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Two Foreigners Arrested Taking Drugs in Siem Reap Guesthouse

Post by Clutch Cargo »

pczz wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 8:28 am
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:52 pm A gofundme was set up late last year to get Eric Comerci out of jail.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-free-eric-comerci
Why would anyone contribute to a go fund me for a drug trafficker?
Coz the gofundme says nothing about what he is accused of.

Just:
In August 2019 Eric was in the wrong place at the wrong time
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

They can't raise $3,200 even with a gofundme? They managed 30% after four months, being ~$1,000. Maybe this makes me a total first-world douche, but if you can't get more than $1,000 behind you to get out of a prison half way around the world, you probably don't have very good/very many friends/family. Probably should have thought of that before hanging out with meth-heads in Cambodia...
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I'm intrigued by the bit, "the woman was a cook". What did she cook? Meth?
TeachingForPeanuts
Expatriate

Post by TeachingForPeanuts »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am Maybe this makes me a total first-world douche, but if you can't get more than $1,000 behind you to get out of a prison half way around the world, you probably don't have very good/very many friends/family.
That's a mean-spirited thing to say. Some people don't have wealthy friends; they come from poor backgrounds and their friends and families are also struggling to get by. Being broke and unable to get help from friends and family back home doesn't make someone a bad person.
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:12 am
Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:53 am Maybe this makes me a total first-world douche, but if you can't get more than $1,000 behind you to get out of a prison half way around the world, you probably don't have very good/very many friends/family.
That's a mean-spirited thing to say. Some people don't have wealthy friends; they come from poor backgrounds and their friends and families are also struggling to get by. Being broke and unable to get help from friends and family back home doesn't make someone a bad person.
True that, but then moving to a 3rd-world country and doing drugs is maybe not all that smart...
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:12 amThat's a mean-spirited thing to say. Some people don't have wealthy friends; they come from poor backgrounds and their friends and families are also struggling to get by. Being broke and unable to get help from friends and family back home doesn't make someone a bad person.
That's why I started with "Maybe this makes me a first-world douche." But he's a drug trafficer and meth-head, so I didn't feel too bad.
You don't think anyone should step foot on foreign soil without a spare $20,000 in the bank, so I don't see why you'd have a problem with what I said. :wink:
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

Electric Earth wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:20 pm
TeachingForPeanuts wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:12 amThat's a mean-spirited thing to say. Some people don't have wealthy friends; they come from poor backgrounds and their friends and families are also struggling to get by. Being broke and unable to get help from friends and family back home doesn't make someone a bad person.
That's why I started with "Maybe this makes me a first-world douche." But he's a drug trafficer and meth-head, so I didn't feel too bad.
You don't think anyone should step foot on foreign soil without a spare $20,000 in the bank, so I don't see why you'd have a problem with what I said. :wink:
Doing illegal drugs and not having the money to bail out yourself is asking for trouble and getting repsonse. A controversial new thread would be: do barang caught selling meth deserve help once they get into trouble?
work is for people who cant find truffles
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

As usual, we don't know the whole story here, so we don't know if they were 'just' doing drugs or whether they were selling. They got caught taking drugs in their hotel room,(bad luck, or very good timing by the cops ? ), but from the news reports, the two guys had a small amount of drugs on them. We have already seen police reports on CEO where Cambodians are charged with trafficking, even though it seems obvious that they are small time users.

My theory (LOL, FWIW, which is not much) is that the three Cambodians who got busted might have been the sellers, who gave up the two foreigners to the police in exchange for a more lenient sentence. Pure speculation of course.

Anyhow, this affair shows that it can be a very big deal to get busted for drugs in Cambodia. I'm just saying that because from time to time we get posters here who think that taking drugs in Cambodia is not a big deal. Not telling people what to do, but you need to know that just because drugs are easily available here, doesn't mean that you won't go to prison.
:dm:
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Darren-Lee-Fox wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:18 pm LEO Drinking, lowlife, manbun wearing, gai looking, barefoot, worthless scum. I hope they get a long fun time in the slammer.
Not only all of the above but they look like a couple that would smoke each others poles.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Marty wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:18 pm
Darren-Lee-Fox wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 5:18 pm LEO Drinking, lowlife, manbun wearing, gai looking, barefoot, worthless scum. I hope they get a long fun time in the slammer.
Not only all of the above but they look like a couple that would smoke each others poles.
I'll defer to your expertise in that area.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic