Chief Monk Kills Motordop Driver

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Re: Chief Monk Kills Motordop Driver

Post by miciur »

NeverNude wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:21 am
miciur wrote:Why just now defrock him? No one knew that he borrowed money? Monks can’t keep more then few dollars! No one knew he had close relation with a girl? Monk can’t stay with girl alone! How he became chief of monks? His habit is terrible! I don’t understand why moto driver borrowed money? Monks can’t ask money from lay people! Monks have 267 rules for they life. Before he killed he broke few rules seriously!
These monks came into Starbucks, got the $5 Frappuccinos. Must have been a good day for donations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Also irregular behavior, because can’t use and enjoy luxurious things. Frapuccino for 5$ is luxurious for monk!
I know monk hood well. Have two different group, one who are monks, two who are just wearing robe!
Be yourself, no matter what they say!
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

Anyway point of interest, mainstream media didn’t write any word about this case!
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

Why you think they are novices? I’m not sure. Anyway novices also need follow many of they rules(example: can’t ear after noon). They have money or don’t not point, point is can’t use and enjoy luxurious things. Phones and laptops are allowed! Many monks have serious money but they don’t keep in pocket or bank. Rule say lay person can keep and when monk need something lay person manage from monk’s money. Western person who wanna to be monk here. He need speak read and write khmer perfect. Need speak read and write Pali language. Need know dhama by khmer. Local people will not respect it is sure! I collected alm with monk as pagoda boy. Hmm was very interested. I know 350 monks include approx 40 persons I know well. I knew, know many things of them just I don’t want say for public!
Adam Xie
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Adam Xie »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:23 pm 'Neither a borrower nor a lender be'

It seems both are equally dangerous in this country.

I read a book a long while back called Money #1. It contained the words, along the lines of, "don't ever tell your wife that you are worth more dead than alive because, in Thailand, dead can be arranged" Chilling advice.

How do people in serious relationships with Khmers deal with loan requests from family members? They must be fraught with risks of future relationships being soured due to default.
Either you grand the loan (without the expectation to be repaid) or reject the loan (even its hard at that time, but better than long term suffering)
dontbeasourlemon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by dontbeasourlemon »

miciur wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm Anyway point of interest, mainstream media didn’t write any word about this case!
I think news reporting in Cambodia is just a bit slower than some places like the USA. They usually will post something on major just not as quickly. Anyway here is your article 🙂 https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50634754/f ... th-murder/
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I never expect a loan to a Khmer to ever be repaid.

That being said, missus handles all the requests.

Right now she is in hot water with her sister in law for loaning money to her older brother so he can expand his business.

The wife is unhappy the he didn’t discuss it with her and went straight to missus for help.

Even the best of intentions backfire in the KOW.

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

miciur wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:58 pm Why you think they are novices? I’m not sure. Anyway novices also need follow many of they rules(example: can’t ear after noon). They have money or don’t not point, point is can’t use and enjoy luxurious things. Phones and laptops are allowed! Many monks have serious money but they don’t keep in pocket or bank. Rule say lay person can keep and when monk need something lay person manage from monk’s money. Western person who wanna to be monk here. He need speak read and write khmer perfect. Need speak read and write Pali language. Need know dhama by khmer. Local people will not respect it is sure! I collected alm with monk as pagoda boy. Hmm was very interested. I know 350 monks include approx 40 persons I know well. I knew, know many things of them just I don’t want say for public!
Some other member asked you to write a thread on the subject of monkhood I agree it would be most interesting too know more, and real facts about the subject, has in all religion words that are wrote maybe said different.
You quote above -
"Western person who wanna to be monk here. He need speak read and write khmer perfect. Need speak read and write Pali language. Need know dhama by khmer". Local people will not respect it is sure!
But with your knowledge you would know of the western monks of the country, that and also the many whom visit from the many other countries who's studies are of the same Buddhism, the visitor may possibly be an Abbot (above the novice). Many years of teachings for him to be Ordained and be able too to Ordain his novices. He the Abbot runs his own pagoda to keep a Buddhist order, and his novice monks too, firstly educate them on teachings, the ways of Buddhism. Such is an example of a Abbot -
Ajahn Sumedho is abbot of Amaravati Buddhist Centre and seniormost Western disciple of the late Thai meditation master Ajahn Chah. Amaravati is affiliated with the Forest Sangha: a world-wide community following Chah's Thai Forest tradition.

http://www.buddhanet.net/masters/sumedho.htm

You also mention the language of Pali, unfortunately that would be difficult for the Khmer monk to learn without the possible writings translated into the English language first.
Pali was originally a spoken language with no alphabet of its own. It wasn't until about 100 BCE that the Tipitaka was first fixed in writing, by Sri Lankan scribe-monks, who wrote the Pali phonetically in a form of early Brahmi script. Since then the Tipitaka has been transliterated into many different scripts (Devanagari, Thai, Burmese, Roman, Cyrillic, to name a few). Although English translations of the most popular Tipitaka texts abound, many students of Theravada find that learning the Pali language, even just a little bit here and there greatly deepens their understanding and appreciation of the Buddha's teachings.

You also quote "Local people will not respect it is sure"! But again that must only be a Khmer outlook, I say this because discrimination are not the teaching or words of Buddha or of the worlds Buddhist society,
Always "hope" but never "expect".
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:07 am
Ajahn Sumedho is abbot of Amaravati Buddhist Centre and seniormost Western disciple of the late Thai meditation master Ajahn Chah. Amaravati is affiliated with the Forest Sangha: a world-wide community following Chah's Thai Forest tradition.

http://www.buddhanet.net/masters/sumedho.htm

You also mention the language of Pali, unfortunately that would be difficult for the Khmer monk to learn without the possible writings translated into the English language first.

You also quote "Local people will not respect it is sure"! But again that must only be a Khmer outlook, I say this because discrimination are not the teaching or words of Buddha or of the worlds Buddhist society,
Thank you for information venerable Ajanh Sumedho abbot but it is irrelevant because he doesn’t serving in Cambodia. Of course if an ordained western monk wants visit and stay temporary in a khmer monastery he can because Pali Canon is allowed.
Thank you for citation from Wikipedia about Pali language. You said it is difficult for khmer monks without English translate. Why? Don’t need English translate because 1st 85% of Khmer monks don’t understand English. 2nd they study Pali language at Buddhist school.
I said wrong that local people will not respect western monk. They will respect several time later. After they will see that western monk has same or better behavior as Khmer monk.
My opinion many monks have no abble live as monk in here. But few of them know this and leave monkhood. I also don’t understand 10-12 years old kids why can become monkhood as novices! Young children don’t understand religion clear. I see them, they think about play not about Buddha. Majority of monks live simply without any possessions, but I know monks who have car, watching tv in his aircon room and go to abroad once-twice every year. But I didn’t hear about killer monk until now.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Pali language firstly tell me who and how it was translated to Khmer language, you quote 85% don't understand English. Is that only an estimated guess, I too would guess near the same amount don't read or write Khmer. But that is the concept; that soon they will be learnt, because of their ongoing disciplined schooling. That is also were the Buddhist Society premotes the western monk due to his translation and teaching skills.
Why do you not understand the young novice. He will play, it the life's part of growing up. All kid's play and also learn, and many learnings come from earlier play. But the Wats need the young schoolers to carry on the work of a monk. You said yourself some only wear the robe. I would say they are the one's to use it for the wrong reason. Another thing you maybe able to clarify to this subject. Are some adolescent men sent to the pagoda for crimes they had previously committed?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:47 pm Pali language firstly tell me who and how it was translated to Khmer language, you quote 85% don't understand English. Is that only an estimated guess, I too would guess near the same amount don't read or write Khmer. But that is the concept; that soon they will be learnt, because of their ongoing disciplined schooling. That is also were the Buddhist Society premotes the western monk due to his translation and teaching skills.
Why do you not understand the young novice. He will play, it the life's part of growing up. All kid's play and also learn, and many learnings come from earlier play. But the Wats need the young schoolers to carry on the work of a monk. You said yourself some only wear the robe. I would say they are the one's to use it for the wrong reason. Another thing you maybe able to clarify to this subject. Are some adolescent men sent to the pagoda for crimes they had previously committed?
I don’t know who and how translated because I never care, but if you want know I’ll ask for you. Yes I estimated it is approx real. You said monks 85% illiterate, it is bullshit. Every monk can read and write by khmer except few new kids ( novice). I understand young novices I don’t understand why they can become to monkhood under 14 years old. Wats need kids because dramatically reduced number of Cambodian men who want to be monk. Now can find novices just in poor rural areas. I don’t want clarify this subject, have no any secret. Supervisors of former monk didn’t see or didn’t want see his bad habit. I don’t know how deep you know Cambodian monkhood. It is a closed company, I’m in but I I also don’t know every small details.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic