8 People Get Poisoned after Eating Bread, Siem Reap

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

8 People Get Poisoned after Eating Bread, Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Cambodia Breaking News (Siem Reap): On August 16, 2019, at 10 am, eight people got poisoned after eating bread. They were sent to the local hospital immediately in Tropeang Thmor village, Siem Reap.

The victims were identified as Ron Tan, a 38-year-old woman, Sen Sary, a 3-year-old girl, Lan Sana, a 4-year-old girl, Lean Dalin, a 2-year-old girl, Jin Sophal, a 4 year old boy, Jun Sophat, a 1 year old boy, Chok Makara, a 3 year old boy, and Jun Meiya, a 6 year old girl.

The police reported that the victims were poisoned after eating bread from the vendor in the village. They were staying in the hospital.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: 8 People Get Poisoned after Eating Bread, Siem Reap

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

UPDATE.
Siem Reap, Cambodia News: Banteay Srei district police have said that following the incident on the morning of August 16, 2019, where eight people in Trapeang Thmor village were poisoned by the bread, the bakery has been closed temporarily. The victims are making a good recovery, and authorities believe that the poisoning was due to using old stale ingredients, but not dangerous chemicals. There is an inquiry underway.

Also recently, on August 14, 2019, there was a case of poisoning by cake at Kompong Primary School located in Kok Kol village, Siem Reap province, poisoning 29 school children under the age of 10. The outbreak caused vomiting and diarrhea, but all the children have recovered.

Siem Reap authorities have warned all outlets selling food, that they must be licensed and mindful of health and hygiene regulations.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Darren-Lee-Fox
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Darren-Lee-Fox »

mindful of health and hygiene regulations. ? nothing goes to waste in this country does it ? If its really bad just feed it to the tourists.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I like to exercise. I stop from time to time to buy drinks. One place I have stopped at in the past is a bread shop which also sells drinks. I noticed sitting there, if the wind is blowing in the right direction, the place smells like cockroaches.

When Cambodians see cockroaches or ants, they get out the spray and spray them. Cambodians dont understand that the spray is poisonous to humans. They often spray over the top of food, or over the top of plates, so some of the spray lands on the food, or on the plates.

I dont know what happened in this situation, but maybe there were cockroaches or ants, and someone sprayed them, with some of the spray getting on the bread, or on the flour before the bread was made.

I believe, at least some cases of food poisoning in Cambodia occur as a result of poisonous sprays. The majority are probably from keeping food too long, until bacteria has had time to breed. They cut off the bad bit, and sell the rest, but the poisons have spread within the food.

When you realize how little most Cambodians understand, the right thing to do would be to ban all poisons coming into Cambodia until the people become more educated.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I used to get low level shits from takeaway food in the west more often than i do in Cambodia.
Since i have cut out antibiotics from my diet, almost entirely, i get the shits far less often - anywhere.

The antibiotics were for regular infections in small cuts, from paddling in dirty water.
I get them much less often now that i just use disinfectant and good first aid.
If an infection really takes off, of course i still use antibiotics. but that is maybe once a year now, not 8-10 ish.

Also personally convinced that my mental state has improved along with my better gut health.
Lots of good bacteria in you guts is a very good thing. The medical prof is just starting to realise that too.
(although that probably won't stop them throwing anti-b's at you every chance they get)

- 'just my experience.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

explorer wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:58 am Cambodians dont understand that the spray is poisonous to humans.
When you realize how little most Cambodians understand, the right thing to do would be to ban all poisons coming into Cambodia until the people become more educated.
Maybe that's true out in whatever backwards hamlet you live in, but there's no need to keep generalizing about the whole country based on the narrow range of bumpkins you encounter.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

" authorities believe that the poisoning was due to using old stale ingredients, but not dangerous chemicals. There is an inquiry underway."
This makes no sense, what "stale ingredients" could cause illness?
up to you...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Clemen wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:08 am " authorities believe that the poisoning was due to using old stale ingredients, but not dangerous chemicals. There is an inquiry underway."

I have had several loaves of '' Multi-grain '' bread , same brand , that smelt like '' rats ''. I thought that the silo or storage bin where the flour or other ingredients may have rats in it. I changed to a different bread for a while and am back buying the multi-grain bread again that has no ;; rat '' smell now.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

Clemen wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:08 am " authorities believe that the poisoning was due to using old stale ingredients, but not dangerous chemicals. There is an inquiry underway."
I think it is contaminated ingredients rather than stale.

Cereal grains and bakery products held under improper storage conditions may aid in proliferation of various micro-organisms (7). Food poisoning resulting from contaminated flours has been reported in other countries of the world such as, Australian, European and the USA. Pathogenic microorganisms like Salmonella spp., Escherichia coli, Bacillus cereus and other spoilage micro-organisms were found to be present at low levels in wheat and flour (8-12).In addition to the growth of bacteria, growth of mold in flour is known to significantly deteriorate quality of bread and flour.
Determination of microbiological quality of packed and unpacked bread, Afsana Khanom, Tahmina Shammi and Md. Shahidul Kabir, Stamford Journal of Microbiology, 2016. https://www.banglajol.info/index.php/SJ ... view/33515

Experimental Staphylococcus Food Poisoning: A Study of the Growth of a Food Poisoning Staphylococcus and the Production of an Enterotoxic Substance in Bread and Meat. https://ajph.aphapublications.org/doi/p ... 26.11.1077
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I figured it meant contaminated, and not stale. Besides what you cited there could also be Aflatoxin or Ergot present.
up to you...
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic