Kampong Cham

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Re: Kampong Cham

Post by hiway5 »

From Koh Kong town cross bridge. Keep going to you get to the corner where you go to the border but turn left instead. Find a place down there aways.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm I am tired of working and slaving. I just want to flop around in a hammock and smoke weed. Might run a still if young brother comes and collects firewood.
Get a feed mill and have a lot of chickens. Steal coconuts off the beach and eat crab. Not very populated down there.
Just find a point where the wind keeps the skeeters and sandflies away and take it easy.
Koh Kong would suit if that's what you want to do small town on river mountain and beach nearby that and Ratanakiri are my picks to settle down in KOW so far. Koh Kong wins as close to Thailand also
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 am Who lives there in town?

LIved in KC province for a year - about 45 minutes to 1 hour drive from the city.

Got a supermarket?

Not as far as I was concerned - was the biggest disappointment. I kept believing there HAD to be something there. Couple of small convenience type places but thats about it. Its been 2 and a half years since we moved so perhaps something new is there. I made occasional trips all the way to PP to buy groceries (took a cooler with us - store employees laughed when we would walk in with big cooler and sit it next to the cashier)

Costs for a shophouse to rent in a location for a cafe?

No idea, but my guess is that along the waterfront is more than you'd think - likewise in other areas of the city its not too much - a guy from the town we lived in had a small restaurant and I know he wasn't paying more than a couple hundred a month for his lease.

Any expats?

There were a few. Mormon temple is there now so you'll see them walking around. There was a gym along the river that I used to hit every now and then and then go up along the river for lunch. Met a few expats but most were just there short term.

Overrun by Chinese?

As of 2 years ago - no.

Reliable power?

Somewhat. Better than the town we lived in but there were also definite outages in KC when I was there.

-------------------------

I'd just add that overall I likely would NOT consider living there. The lack of a grocery store floored me - given the size of the city. The gym was nothing to write home about. Its a "quiet" city IMO. So if your just looking for peace and quiet then it might be for you!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:40 pm I always have something to do trapper.
I never get bored because I am not boring.
Maybe do some goldsmithing, fish a little.
Plenty mangrove Jack and Barra in those estuaries and muddies too.

And I don't drink beer.
That is for kids and girls.
I drink spirits, it is healthier, and you can actually get mildly intoxicated rather than bloated.

Thailand is nearby, so can slip across the border to chanthaburi to buy stones and get a decent feed.
dont forget ur ONLY allowed 2 visa exempt land border crossings/calendar year, Trat is only 45 minutes away!!
Why would you buy any stones in Chan? Not much there for sale an nothing is mined nearby anymore

Went thru KC last year, stayed the night, had a meal, walked around. Its nice/quiet for a small Cambodian city on a river.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

" Its been 2 and a half years since we moved so perhaps something new is there."

Well, we've been living here for 20 plus years and there is still no big supermarket. The river frront is becoming gentrified and traffic overwhelms not only the narrow city lanes but.Nat Highway 7 as well. If my wife and I weren't so madly in love I would have left long ago. You might find a cheap rental, but not in a good location. Your plan B sounds much better.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Why would you buy any stones in Chan? Not much there for sale
LOLOL it is the 2nd largest colored stone market in the world Richard. Every weekend.
It is a major cutting center, and half the participants are international.

I have been there 6 or 7 times, and a gemologist friend goes twice a month.
Surprised you did not know this.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:34 pm
Why would you buy any stones in Chan? Not much there for sale
LOLOL it is the 2nd largest colored stone market in the world Richard. Every weekend.
went last year after visited my ex partner in Bo Rai
Not sure when you were last there but
its nothing compared to what it was 30 years ago...... and what was on offer was very overpriced (since it has gained the tourist appeal)
Best deals / buys always went on behind closed doors by invite only... :beer3:
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Only Friday and Saturday Richard.
Dead on other days.

https://www.thehindu.com/thread/arts-cu ... 384978.ece
If you go there on a weekday, the Talad Ploy gem market is sleepy. A straggle of dealers dawdle about in their permanently owned shops on Si Chan Road, near the intersection with Thetsaban Road, at the heart of Thailand's Chanthaburi city.

Come Friday morning, and the place transforms into the vibrant gemstone exchange capital of the world, as buyers, sellers and brokers converge from all over.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

frank I Know that>>>back in the 87-88' i sold rough stones there to dealers an used to go daily with our rough from our mine in Bo Rai and i brought from other miners to sell as well:
ON weekends only went down with my partner as his wife had a street stall to sell some of our cut stones

its now basically a tourist thing, although they do lots of heat treating there
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Trapsuperstar wrote:
Barang chgout wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Trapsuperstar wrote:
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:53 am I was just curious, not really got my sights set on it.

PP has gotten a bit big and expensive for me now.
Kampot is crowded.
Maybe I will check out Koh Kong.
What to do in Koh kong? Drink the fake anchor beer before noon then stare at the wall for the remaining 12 hours of the day?

Nothing there, At all.
Actually, if you like getting out a bit, there are waterfalls, mangroves, beaches, mountains, fishing. Easy access to Thailand, a couple of reasonable supermarkets, several western food outlets, few Chinese and best of all, you're unlikely to run into asphalt workers from Oz there!
Also currently the new road to Thma Da is being built as well as the road from Samloat. Soon, Pursat and Battambang will be in easy reach.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
If FLB opened a mini Charlie harpers type bar with chilli dogs and tacos it might be worth a visit , Until then ill give it a miss.
Good!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic