Kampong Cham

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Kampong Cham

Post by j57 »

I have been to the Province many times...never the city.
I would highly suggest avoiding Kampong Cham unless you are fluent in Khmer and have either a wife or close friends from there...
I go back for holidays and weddings if I have to.
The people are very nice...But, even the Khmer get the hell out of there if they want to earn money.
Good luck
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I was just curious, not really got my sights set on it.

PP has gotten a bit big and expensive for me now.
Kampot is crowded.
Maybe I will check out Koh Kong.
hiway5
Expatriate
Spain

Post by hiway5 »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:23 am Who lives there in town?

Got a supermarket? There are some small stalls in the main market with basic dry goods. Two good bakeries.

Costs for a shophouse to rent in a location for a cafe? A few years ago a French guy had a guesthouse and restaurant one street back from the river. Had excellent food cheap but never got any business. Places on the river get most foreign customers.

Any expats? A few but don't seem to stay long.

Overrun by Chinese? No.

Reliable power? As good as anywhere else.
Very friendly people, nice women. a nice part of town away from the river. Wide tree lines streets. It is always hot but you can jump in the river. In hot season the mangoes just fall on the ground.

Some expensive tour boats stop there for an overnight. Might be able to work out something with those companies. They already do land tours and a have some local kids come on board for some cultural dancing/music.

One of my favourite places in KoW.
Trapsuperstar
BANNED
Iran

Post by Trapsuperstar »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:53 am I was just curious, not really got my sights set on it.

Kampot is crowded.
What to do in Koh kong? Drink the fake anchor beer before noon then stare at the wall for the remaining 12 hours of the day?

Nothing there, At all.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I always have something to do trapper.
I never get bored because I am not boring.
Maybe do some goldsmithing, fish a little.
Plenty mangrove Jack and Barra in those estuaries and muddies too.

And I don't drink beer.
That is for kids and girls.
I drink spirits, it is healthier, and you can actually get mildly intoxicated rather than bloated.

Thailand is nearby, so can slip across the border to chanthaburi to buy stones and get a decent feed.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Trapsuperstar wrote:
frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:53 am I was just curious, not really got my sights set on it.

Kampot is crowded.
What to do in Koh kong? Drink the fake anchor beer before noon then stare at the wall for the remaining 12 hours of the day?

Nothing there, At all.
Actually, if you like getting out a bit, there are waterfalls, mangroves, beaches, mountains, fishing. Easy access to Thailand, a couple of reasonable supermarkets, several western food outlets, few Chinese and best of all, you're unlikely to run into asphalt workers from Oz there!
Also currently the new road to Thma Da is being built as well as the road from Samloat. Soon, Pursat and Battambang will be in easy reach.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I bet rent is cheap in Koh Kong.
I heard there are some beaches just out of town that are becoming popular with khmers now that snooks is fooked.

Years ago there was a kraut who rented some sand off the sangkat there for a couple hundred a year and had a nice little palm leaf Sha k with a solar panel and some water drums. Might. Be a worthwhile place to have a little outrigger canoe and chill out. I bet mom and dad would come up from shitville and look after the shack.
Trapsuperstar
BANNED
Iran

Post by Trapsuperstar »

Barang chgout wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:45 pm
Trapsuperstar wrote:

Kampot is crowded.

Nothing there, At all.
Actually, if you like getting out a bit, there are waterfalls, mangroves, beaches, mountains, fishing. Easy access to Thailand, a couple of reasonable supermarkets, several western food outlets, few Chinese and best of all, you're unlikely to run into asphalt workers from Oz there!
Also currently the new road to Thma Da is being built as well as the road from Samloat. Soon, Pursat and Battambang will be in easy reach.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk
If FLB opened a mini Charlie harpers type bar with chilli dogs and tacos it might be worth a visit , Until then ill give it a miss.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

"
Some expensive tour boats stop there for an overnight. Might be able to work out something with those companies. They already do land tours and a have some local kids come on board for some cultural dancing/music."

They are hooked up with local NGOs that drum up package deals with Buddhist affiliated restaurants. Even their business has been down according to waitresses I've talked with in one of those affiliated restaurants, Moon River.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

I am tired of working and slaving. I just want to flop around in a hammock and smoke weed. Might run a still if young brother comes and collects firewood.
Get a feed mill and have a lot of chickens. Steal coconuts off the beach and eat crab. Not very populated down there.
Just find a point where the wind keeps the skeeters and sandflies away and take it easy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic