First time entry; please assist

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Sweet Lemon
Expatriate

Re: First time entry; please assist

Post by Sweet Lemon »

Bubble T wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:48 pm Sounds like I'm the only person here who's ever been refused boarding (in the UK) to fly to PP without an onward ticket, despite the fact I had a multiple entry one year visa. They said it was the airline's policy and arguing about it for half an hour got me no where. In the end they suggested that I buy a cheap onward ticket, then cancel it and get a refund upon my arrival in Cambodia, which is what I did. The onward ticket I got was about $100 to fly from PP to HCMC, you don't need to double the cost of your ticket by getting a return, you just have to have another ticket to somewhere else. By the time it was all resolved the only cost was a bit of stress and a $30 cancellation fee.
No, you're not the only person denied boarding on a flight to Cambodia, or any country, due to lack of an onward ticket. It happens all the time. Not every airline checks for an onward ticket and not every staff member checks it, but some do. Some airlines may let you sign a waiver, some don't give that option.

He should buy a cheap onward ticket or arrive at the airport early enough that he can buy an onward ticket over the wifi on the spot if they don't want to check him in.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I would buy the throw away tickets in the past just in case some airline in the USA gave me a hard time or if I arrived and had an issue...
Then, I met a guy who said...Just buy a bus ticket..
So, I buy a bus ticket leaving in 28 days...
My Retirement visa extension solves all that these days...
But, cover your ass is my advice.
As far as African visa on arrival...it depends on your country...
Go on line and buy a $13us ticket to Bangkok or Vietnam that departs before 30 days...
I am not sure if you need the pics anymore..they have cameras and take your pic upon entry...
shit changes..
good luck
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

j57 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:17 pm I am not sure if you need the pics anymore..they have cameras and take your pic upon entry...
Passport pictures are no longer required for VOA applications.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Hello,

This seems to be the most recent post on visas. It's been a while since I was out of the country and am coming back soon. I am trying to decide whether to get a tourist visa or a ordinary visa. I don't have work so I guess I would need the EG visa if I wanted to use the ordinary one.

It seems the main advantage of a ordinary visa over the tourist one is that it can be multiple entry. I am planning to go to Vietnam and would like to come back. In that case the tourist visa is void as soon as I leave. But in the case of the ordinary visa would I not have a multiple entry status until I apply for the 6 month, extension, correct? Do I have to wait until nearly the end of the month of the ordinary visa to apply for the 6 month extension?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

No, the E-type (Ordinary) Visa is valid for the initial entry only. You would need the 6 month EG (General) Extension of stay (EOS) for multi entry/exit.

Visas are single entry only.

Only 6 & 12 month EOS's are valid for multi entry/exit.

You can apply for your EOS the day you arrive if you like, be aware that EOS applications are taking on average 10 working days to process.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:57 pm You can apply for your EOS the day you arrive if you like, be aware that EOS applications are taking on average 10 working days to process.
But if you're willing to make a donation for the 'fill up the parking lot with SUV's' program at the DoI they will process your application in one or three working days.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thank you both... I decided to get the tourist visa this time, but on returning from Vietnam, I may opt for the ordinary visa, with an EG EOS. Am I correct that it is the EG EOS that allows one to stay while one is looking for work? And is it still true that one can only get one EG EOS, or are you now allowed to get more than one?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:44 pm Am I correct that it is the EG EOS that allows one to stay while one is looking for work?
Yes.
daeum_tnaot wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:44 pm And is it still true that one can only get one EG EOS, or are you now allowed to get more than one?
You can get more than one, but not in country. If you want another EG EOS, you need to leave Cambodia and return on a fresh E-type Visa, then apply for a new EG EOS.
daeum_tnaot
Expatriate
Nepal

Post by daeum_tnaot »

Thanks for the info! This is a good deal and sounds like an improvement. I think it was in 2017, they were saying you could only get one EG. It seems to give you quite a lot of time to become productive!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

daeum_tnaot wrote: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:40 am Thanks for the info! This is a good deal and sounds like an improvement. I think it was in 2017, they were saying you could only get one EG. It seems to give you quite a lot of time to become productive!
Just don't be surprised if the rules for EG EOS change while you're here.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic