EB Visa Situation Update Aug 2019

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

EB Visa Situation Update Aug 2019

Post by Mishmash »

Dear all,

I hope this information proves useful to anyone extending their EB visa.

6 months ago I went to Lucky Moto (My chosen agents since 2010) and asked for an extension.
I was informed I needed a WP or letter of employment.

I showed them my old Self Employed WP which I was trying to renew online, which required a NEW medical certificate.
I had just received the new Certificate that morning - not enough time to process online AND renew my Visa.
Very kindly the lady said she didn't need the Certificate and she had access to the online WP registration and she would renew for me for a small "fee" which I queried and was told "tax" - make what you will of that!!
At the same time she would renew my Visa - happy days!!

Today was time again for renewal (as I only paid for a 6 month extension)
I took my WP (still valid), and, luckily for me, my newly registered Company Articles of Association,duly stamped and signed by the MOC where i am listed as a Shareholder and Director.

The lady informed me that a Self Employed WP is no longer enough for an extension - you NEED a letter of employment from someone - there are no exceptions.

As I thought some expats might need the full story, even though PSD-Kiwi, has explained it many times on here, I decided to ask for the latest facts (i.e the rules appear to be changing day by day)

So, i explained i had been using their service for 9 years - always happy - even with the 'fees' and 'tax', and they had issued me my WP and my last Visa and the two went hand-in-hand - so why not now??

The answer was the situation had changed and the WP was to be used for 'other purposes' not Visa renewal. I assume she meant it was one of the documents required to be legal here but not associated any longer with the Visa process.

So... i then showed her my company documents (lucky for me i decided to go fully legal, even though somewhat costly) and she asked for the TAX Patent.
This was in my Business Partner's Name, as he is Khmer, and for obvious reasons (e.g the ability to purchase land and the fact he speaks Khmer and understands the 'Khmer' way) is the simplest and easiest way to obtain a patent.
I pointed out my name clearly listed on the documents I had brought - listing position title and 49% paid up share ownership
They ummed and aaahed for a while and asked the senior lady - still need a Letter of Employment!!!

I then queried 'So - you want a letter from me, to say I am employed by me, in my own company??'

A few more ummms and aaahs - 'No - ask the person on the patent to sign'

They then showed me a template pinned on the wall, which allows the Ministers to tick the boxes easily and quickly and issue the Visa.

I photoed it, and said i would do it right now and come again.

I then asked the cost. Reply $290. I asked why the Ministry had publicly announced the price was $180. Reply - it will take several months if you wish to go direct, plus the paperwork is 'never quite correct' - seems logical and right, according to my experience in Cambodia (and my Khmer partners too!!!)

So off I went - copied the template on to Headed Notepaper, got my guy to sign and stamp it and went back.

The ladies (3 now) checked ALL the wording and details on the later (including the legal part), ticked their boxes, took my dough and passport and gave me the chit and told i could pick up in TWO weeks!!!

So... To summarize, it appears everyone now needs a Letter of Employment to renew the EB. WP is not enough. Self Employed is not enough. the Visa takes longer to process now (2 weeks)

Hope this helps.

I will try and post the template image - I just don't know how to do on here yet.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: EB Visa Situation Update Aug 2019

Post by Mishmash »

Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

Here is the upload - still dunno how to insert but sure you can look here and see the template

Good luck!!!
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

So they extorted you and supplied a fake letter. Sounds right for Lucky Moto.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

The letter, even for those self employed/business owners, has been a requirement for 6 & 12 mth EB
EOS extensions since the changes were introduced.
The only difference is that the letter of employment must state the applicants phone number and address now.

Work Permit was never required for 6 & 12 mth EB EOS, only for 1 & 3 mth EB EOS.

But, every agent has their own interpretations of the requirements...that's why I go direct to the DoI, no getting the run around or paying $100+ on top of the official price.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

frank lee bent wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:09 am So they extorted you and supplied a fake letter. Sounds right for Lucky Moto.
He posted the template that lucky provides. He stated he produced his own letter of employment. They still extorted him though, as do all visa agents, although most of that goes to their DoI POC, agents are making minimal profit from facilitating visa extensions.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

PSD-Kiwi has it nailed.

I guess I was lucky in January and got both Visa and WP together without the letter.

I DID use my own Company Notepaper etc this time - all legit and it does require an address and phone number

I dun call it extortion from Lucky - $100 extra for sure, it's a company and makes a profit (large!!!), but 2 minutes handover and can get on with having a beer - job done.

I might do as PSD-Kiwi suggests and go direct next time, if it's as he says 'no hassle', simple and quick.

During the Tax Patent process, I sat with my Khmer guy for a couple of hours first in the 'queue', then we were given a huge list of impossible forms and documents to complete, so figuring I had better things to do with my time, just hired someone to do it. He brought everything when completed without asking anything and my guy just had to sign and thumbprint the completed stuff. Same situation for the Commercial Registration. Same for paying the Tax monthly. so I just assume the DoI is similar.

I'll give it a go though!!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic