Renting A Car In PP?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Renting A Car In PP?

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

I was wondering whats the deal with renting a car in PP? Can I rent a car only having an Australian drivers license or do I need a Cambodian one? also if anyone has a recommendation for a trustworthy rental agent it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: Renting A Car In PP?

Post by Freightdog »

I’ve rented from only two-

Europcar, just outside the airport.
By local standards, a reasonable experience.
Prices OK. On the face of it, not the cheapest, but more predictable.
Older cars are in below-average state of maintenance by normal standards outside Cambodia- expect engine lights on (service due) crappy wiper blades, no water in the washer bottle.
They’ve just released their depot it seems, and now operate from the smaller office a few meters away. They're getting rid of their fleet of older cars which I prefer. But they do have a newer fleet.
Pay the deposit in cash if you can. $1000 if you’re using IDP + own national licence .
General level of naïveté/incompetence in the staff can make things a bit awkward at times, when it comes to reversing a credit card authority for a deposit.
Rental is done by 24hr period- E.g. rent at noon today, return by noon tomorrow/noon of the day of return. Bring it back washed (about $3~5 locally) or pay a $10 cleaning fee.

I didn’t have a local driving licence when I first rented. I did have an international drivers permit along with my UK National driving licence.
I’ve been up and down the country a lot, in several different Audis (c2008 models) and a nice big Merc people wagon. Mondulkiri, Kampot/Kep, Battambang, Kratie with no issues.

[email protected]

Lynacar rental
Prices seem more reasonable than above, but you effectively pay an extra day due to the way they calculate a day, which negates the saving.
Owner can be a complete arsehole. His wife more so.
Cars are rented on a daily basis based on office hours. Take the car between 8am-5pm is day one, Return before 5pm tomorrow is day 2. After 5pm is another day.
You can waste several hours getting the car and paperwork sorted.

Level of maintenance is similar to above- engine lights on, radios not working, alarms poorly installed which can leave you stranded.
They will allow you to rent on a non Cambodia licence, uninsured. Big risk.
$1000 deposit will be reduced by $100 per minor ding. They’ll hold onto your passport during the rental, too.

Your national licence plus IDP= uninsured rental. Cambodia drivers licence is fully insured rental. How good is the insurance? I guess it’s best not to find out.

Expect to want to bash his/her head in on return. Take a deep breath. It’s a means to an end.
Was stranded several times during a trip to Sihanouk last year, due to their crappy alarm system, since removed. Various vehicles in random states of repair.

Some stuff went missing on return to their depot on my last rental. Mechanic/coffee lady, who knows?

Alternatives?
On the internet, there appear to be a lot of rental agencies, but you soon realize that David Car rental has swamped the market under different guises, and so you are likely to be calling around and speaking to the same people. After many promises, they’ve never had a car available when needed.
xX.TROPA.Xx
Expatriate
Nigeria

Post by xX.TROPA.Xx »

Thanks for the help mate.
Dog
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Dog »

Why rent a car when you don't know the country and hiring a driver with car does not require any deposit or license and isn't that expensive?
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Dog wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:49 pm Why rent a car when you don't know the country
Sometimes, that’s the challenge and fun.
Plus some of us are driving nuts, and enjoy that in itself
and hiring a driver with car does not require any deposit or license and isn't that expensive?
But he does take up space, which can be at a premium. Plus it can make a private trip less so. And then there’s the added issue of their driving style. Cambodian driving methods don’t often inspire that much confidence.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Good info. I’ll be renting when I visit. If I can’t get my Khmer license renewed ASAP, my wife will drive.
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Has anyone rented a car with having an international licence and been pulled over by the police? Im curious to know what may happen.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

icetiger81 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:03 am Has anyone rented a car with having an international licence and been pulled over by the police? Im curious to know what may happen.
International licence not currently recognised here (altho I recall reading on a thread somewhere that there's an exception to that in Sihanoukville?) however this link below says that might change this year.. So, I imagine the police won't accept them but I have no direct experience on what happens.

https://www.movetocambodia.com/living-i ... g-license/

https://cambodia.embassy.gov.au/penh/in ... river.html
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:35 pm
icetiger81 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:03 am Has anyone rented a car with having an international licence and been pulled over by the police? Im curious to know what may happen.
International licence not currently recognised here (altho I recall reading on a thread somewhere that there's an exception to that in Sihanoukville?) however this link below says that might change this year.. So, I imagine the police won't accept them but I have no direct experience on what happens.

https://www.movetocambodia.com/living-i ... g-license/

https://cambodia.embassy.gov.au/penh/in ... river.html
By ‘international licence’, do you refer to International Driving Permit?
I’ve never seen nor applied for an IDP anywhere except the UK. Are they a standard format document worldwide, or do they vary considerably?
For whatever reason, while they (permits) are not legally valid with authorities in Cambodia, they are still accepted by the rental agency(s). Driving licence from home country being a different issue.
Presumably* to get the IDP your driving licence would have to be valid for the term of the Permit.

*yeah, yeah
icetiger81
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by icetiger81 »

Nice, thanks for the update. Sounds like if you get pulled over by the local law, they wont harass you about any particular type of driving licence. Or is it the same as some other places where you just need to "donate to the cause" when you get pulled over?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic