Phnom Penh will be getting a blockchain-powered neighbourhood

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Phnom Penh will be getting a blockchain-powered neighbourhood

Post by Spigzy »

As always the questions with "Blockchain" are ...

What is in the blocks?
How consensus is formed?
Who takes part in the consensus-forming process?

Not seeing any answers to those key questions (as always), thus having to call bs.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am the public transport card stored is the actual public transport card stored and you wouldn't have to carry the card anymore
Frankly I think there's a very small percentage living in the community who care about how their transport card is stored.

This is a big problem with nerds. They solve problems nobody has.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 am As always the questions with "Blockchain" are ...

What is in the blocks?
How consensus is formed?

Not seeing any answers to those key questions (as always), thus having to call bs.
agree, but the first question is what problem are they trying to solve that needs any of that?
the answer, it seems is they are actually proposing a crypto coin:
limestone wrote:Residents who work or reside in the city are required to register themselves with the Limestone mobile app. The submitted identities are then verified automatically
limestone wrote:Limestone digital wallet is setup to hold mutiple currencies of the solution providers within the cities.
more worrying:
Limestone Network, an initiative of Global Tech Exchange, South East Asia real estate developer, will first be deployed in a city centre with up to 10,000 business tenants and 190,000 daily population, spanning across 20 hectares of work spaces, encompassing shopping malls, schools, retail outlets and housing the largest exhibition hall for business, it aims to be the financial hub, convention centre and go-to business place in the capital of Cambodia and thus giving this blockchian project a mandatory use case.

https://limestone.network/
Last edited by Phnom Poon on Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

monstra mihi bona!
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:00 am they are actually proposing a crypto coin
Then they will soon wake up to the KYC, AML and e-money licensing nightmare which stops everyone else from doing so.

Or they will go full ICO crook and scam investors like so many before them.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

fax wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:04 am Then they will soon wake up to the KYC, AML and e-money licensing nightmare which stops everyone else from doing so.

Or they will go full ICO crook and scam investors like so many before them.
I'm guessing the "20 hectares of offices" could be diamond island
If they're in agreement with the ultimate owner there, I think licenses will be forthcoming
otherwise, yes, good luck with that

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

fax wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 am
Kammekor wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:46 am the public transport card stored is the actual public transport card stored and you wouldn't have to carry the card anymore
Frankly I think there's a very small percentage living in the community who care about how their transport card is stored.

This is a big problem with nerds. They solve problems nobody has.
Couldn't agree more. Guess the cynicism in my post wasn't clear enough.
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Spigzy wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:32 am As always the questions with "Blockchain" are ...

What is in the blocks?
How consensus is formed?

Firstly, I have to point out that if you sincerely don't know the answer to these questions, it's because you either haven't looked or made no effort to understand. It isn't complicated unless you're seeking to understand it at a mathematical/code level (I'm sure you don't understand the technicalities behind how your debit card works at a technical level either, but you do understand that it works).

Now to answer your questions:

-It's in blocks to make it manageable and distributable, and in most implementations the blocks are also a method of clearing and confirming transactions.
-Consensus is formed by comparing the same block across all users running nodes to make sure they reconcile.
- Anyone who wants to.

I work for one of the world's leading crypto exchanges and this video has become my go-to explanation for people seeking to understand the basic concepts and mechanics of how Bitcoin works. If you are genuinely interested in understanding it, then watch the video and you will understand. It isn't rocket science.

As for the subject of the OP, this sounds like more bandwagon nonsense that someone conned a bunch of incompetent people into going along with. It doesn't sound like a useful implementation of blockchain technology, though of course that could change if they go into detail about how it will be utilized.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

I suspect Spigzy may have some technical understanding regarding payments
I think his points are, if I may be so bold:

1) What is in these blocks?
2) how are they "signing" blocks in this particular blockchain; proof of work, stake, pre-shared key segments, etc
3) and therefore, who takes part; anyone who can, anyone with a stake, designated stewards, etc

We can agree it's all quite murky

further information might be found here:
https://www.pundix.com/

monstra mihi bona!
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:41 pm I suspect Spigzy may have some technical understanding regarding payments
I think his points are, if I may be so bold:

1) What is in these blocks?
2) how are they "signing" blocks in this particular blockchain; proof of work, stake, pre-shared key segments, etc
3) and therefore, who takes part; anyone who can, anyone with a stake, designated stewards, etc

We can agree it's all quite murky

further information might be found here:
https://www.pundix.com/
Ah, if he's asking with regards to this project in specific then yes, it looks like a waste of time, as I already noted.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Bubble T wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:28 pm As for the subject of the OP, this sounds like more bandwagon nonsense that someone conned a bunch of incompetent people into going along with. It doesn't sound like a useful implementation of blockchain technology, though of course that could change if they go into detail about how it will be utilized.
This bit; that's what I was aiming at more than the in depth workings of blockchain. Those three questions I posed usually sort the wheat (proper blockchain implementation) from the chaff (bandwagon nonsense) - but that's a good video explanation on the guts, have to agree. :bow:

Example answer to my own question on a blockchain example (Bitcoin) would be:
What's in a block?: best explanation I saw was here: https://dev.to/damcosset/blockchain-wha ... block-48jo
How consensus is formed?: proof of work mechanism
Who takes part in the consensus forming process?: All users & my mum.

Roughly :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic