Streets 51 and 172 looking worse than ever?

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Streets 51 and 172 looking worse than ever?

Post by angkorjohn2 »

j57 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:42 am san francisco has city workers whose job is to answer an app that there is human feces to come scoop up.....the crap app...
It seems to be a job here as well, according to this inspirational kids book :ROFL:

shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

:clap:

It was decided between myself and drinking buddies that Street 172 needs some kind of beautification. It really is a very nice street that just needs a bit of lover and care.

The traffic is awful and it should be restricted only to supplies. The road needs to be pedestrianized and the buildings need fresh new paint and pretty colours.

It could offer hope and increased business to the area.
pissontheroof
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by pissontheroof »

shnoukieBRO wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm :clap:

It was decided between myself and drinking buddies that Street 172 needs some kind of beautification. It really is a very nice street that just needs a bit of lover and care.

The traffic is awful and it should be restricted only to supplies. The road needs to be pedestrianized and the buildings need fresh new paint and pretty colours.

You can go back in time and pretend you’re back at snookie ( but without the views ) , bro ! 🙈😉
พิซออนเดอรูฟ
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

pissontheroof wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:32 pm
shnoukieBRO wrote: Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:07 pm :clap:

You can go back in time and pretend you’re back at snookie ( but without the views ) , bro ! 🙈😉
Anything better 2 add?
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

obviously room for a new NGO to remedy this dire situation.
shnoukieBRO
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by shnoukieBRO »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 am obviously room for a new NGO to remedy this dire situation.
It's up 2 business owners if they wanna persist in low sales due to peepers avoiding the area due to reasons outlined.It's only a matter of time b4 the area is bought up by foreign investment and churned into a "Riverside Kingdom of Malldom"

:whip2: :BangHead:
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Progress, that's what is the governments and investors aim, here people like you and I see change that may affect us, simply by the places that gave us and our friends enjoyment in the past, environmental change sums up the situation of what you seem to be seeking, soon to be past but more now in limbo. I wonder what are the thoughts of business owners, in streets behind riverside. Yes, only time, once the planned development starts on the riverside its self, there is bound to be more change to such streets nearby.
It’s not very often I go to the area, but last night I found myself there, street 172 sat at a street side restaurant table, eating pasta accompanied with a cold glass of draft. With the establishment closing for the evening, on receiving pizza too take away, I settle payment due.
I decided to have a ride around the area, see what was happening around some areas, first I went down street 51 via Central market, the Nana hotel now has its new signage in place. I knew some time ago Chinese had bought the place, a friend visiting the city was reluctantly given the key to a room, a hotel he had stayed over past years. Street 51 seemed busy has I rode down. Once past the Pontoon club the road is dark and quiet very little traffic, across Preah Sihanouk Blvd. Dance Bakery & Cafe BKK1. I find myself now in a mixed cultural area, western, possibly helped along with the Mad monkey nearby. But, with choice of pastry's, such as dark cherry cheese cake and custard's that give me a taste of back home (Yorkshire), the bakery is open 24 hours, I sat outside for some time, with raisin bread and coke, the cakes here are very good. The night air was very cool on the 28th, more so when I arrived on Koh Pich. Unicity is coming along with progressive development. Any members have comments or remarks of this project?
I like the planning, design of Architecture, progression of its build. Unicity, I think is an adventurous build "too say the least". Does it belong? More to the question who does it belong too, and what of its business runners and renters or buyers, more so its expected customer base.
And what of the show piece, "Wow" the Simplex, definition is - simple, single.
I personally have mixed views on developments, if this and others I have not seen are of this calibre, they are here to stay! where I may possibly not if, living costs escalate like the progressive building, but mainly what I observed with the moto ride towards road 1 and home, Chber Ampov, was how many Chinese businesses have opened, and how many Chinese people I observed. Yes, change to the capital city Phnom Penh. :hattip:
Always "hope" but never "expect".
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

It belongs to Canadia Bank.
k*rm*geddon
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by k*rm*geddon »

frank lee bent wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 am obviously room for a new NGO to remedy this dire situation.
Surely, somewhere in town there must be a female Puerto Rican bartender with all the solutions.
MY 99 CENT KINDLE: ... 1974 TRAVEL IN THAILAND, CAMBODIA AND SOUTH VIETNAM : http://www.amazon.co.uk/EXPLAINING-CAMB ... B00L0LC8TO
Jcml19
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Jcml19 »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 am Progress, that's what is the governments and investors aim, here people like you and I see change that may affect us, simply by the places that gave us and our friends enjoyment in the past, environmental change

Looks cool but the real question is whether the economic pass through effect impacted a large number of local businesses and people. there are a lot of locals experiencing gains but from my limited understanding, these minoliths were designed for foreigners with kaching... The funny thing is that the wealthy tend not to buy when it's a bad investment unless there is another reason behind the acquisition...

Influx of Chinese money I reckon is more short term.. albeit still positive but I'm one to advocate for long term growth initiatives..
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic