Westerners Injured & Khmer Killed in Gas Station Explosion in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Re: Westerners Injured & Khmer Killed in Gas Station Explosion in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by King Keil »

Username Taken wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:35 pm
hanno wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm the foreign ladies really should have known better than to come to Cambodia
:facepalm:

I find it hard to believe that you, of all people, just said that.
Hanno is absolutely right. Don't know why you quote only a part of what he said.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Westerners Injured & Khmer Killed in Gas Station Explosion in Siem Reap, Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

On 16 August, a Facebook account named "Born Sambo", gave out the latest information on the police officer who was hit by a gas blast in a car gas station explosion. The man has been identified as Lieutenant-Colonel Huot Mony. He is in a Thai hospital being treated for severe burns on his face and body and needs respiratory assistance.
Social media is full of praise for the man's courage at the accident scene.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 pm Image

Social media is full of praise for the man's courage at the accident scene.

He's the guy in the short video clip who walks over when the ming in Red comes out squaking.

He stood there, pointed at the source of the leak and was promptly engulfed in the blast.

I can't fathom why everyone stood around looking at the gas vapor and didn't run the fuck away.

I also can't fathom how, so far, there's just one fatality. Was it Ming in Red?
hanno
Expatriate
Germany

Post by hanno »

hanno wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:53 pm the foreign ladies really should have known better than to come to Cambodia

Quoting only part of what I wrote is not very gentlemanly.....
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

The cause of the accident:

Gas tank blast injures 13 in Cambodia
By XINHUA
August 16, 2019
Thirteen people were wounded when a gas tanker truck exploded in northwestern Cambodia’s Siem Reap province, a deputy provincial police chief confirmed on Thursday.

The incident happened at a liquefied petroleum gas station on Wednesday afternoon at Wat Bo village in Siem Reap provincial town, when the 2,000-liter-LPG tanker truck was transferring the gas from the tanker truck to the station’s storage tank.
https://www.manilatimes.net/gas-tank-bl ... ia/601013/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
miciur
Expatriate
Hungary

Post by miciur »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:28 pm
brisie wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:43 pm Faulty cigarettes would have been the cause of explosion. Rarely do you see a Khmer pouring a liter bottle of fuel into his bike without a smoke in he's hand and I'm sure the same goes when they hand over the 4kg gas bottle to refill you need to light up while you wait.
An already burning cigarette is not hot enough to light petrol or gas. Otherwise your spark plugs would be made by Benson and Hedges.
Already burning cigarette around 1000 Celsius hot! Propane gas flash point -104 Celsius!! Why not enough?? If propane gas concentration less then 9.5% and more then 2.7% will detonate by cigarette or anything! ! Don’t try just believe me, I’m chemist!
Be yourself, no matter what they say!
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

hanno wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 pm

Quoting only part of what I wrote is not very gentlemanly.....
Tend to agree. The context was traveling without insurance, if I read and understood correctly. It has been a devastating series of events, and the injured I wish a speedy recovery, and RIP to those that lost their lives. Cambodia, or otherwise, as a tourist you could never odds a gas station exploding.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Yobbo »

Technically would insurance cover them if they are riding a motorbike?
Flexxman
Expatriate

Post by Flexxman »

Sovann Rithy of TVFB apparently is brother in law of intervention police officer Hout Mony Pisak who suffered severe burns, and appealed to the public for help. Okhna Vichet donated 4 million Riel to help towards medical costs.

https://tvfb.news/article/25178
https://www.facebook.com/SovannRithyOfficialPage/
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Cambodia News: On 15 August, the Ministry of Mines and Energy has announced that the lpg station which exploded in the afternoon of August 14, 2019 in Siem Reap, did not have proper permission from the Ministry and local authorities for the commercialization of gas. The Ministry of Mines and Energy has been conducting further investigation into the case.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic