Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Post by MarkVNCB »

Hello,

I’m a Brit who arrived in Phnom Penh by bus via Ho Chi Minh. When I gave the bus drivers assistant my passport and $35, I was expecting a 30-day E Ordinary Business visa. But when returned I had a 30-day tourist visa. I’ve been told I can’t convert my T visa to an E visa, so I’ll have to exit Cambodia and attempt to obtain a 30-day E visa on re-entry.

I‘d like to do this, this coming week. However, given my T visa doesn’t expire until the 6th September I’m wondering what will happen if I exit and re-enter Cambodia on say, 14th August - given I’ll still have 22 days left on my T visa. Will this prevent me from getting the E visa or will my T visa have expired early because I’d have already exited Cambodia (I don’t know if the T visa is single or multi entry).

My second question is how to do this. I can’t do it via Vietnam as I can’t return for at least 30 days, so I’ll have to do it via Thailand. I’ve heard conflicting reports on the best way to do this, either by bus to Poi Pet or flight to Bangkok. Either way, I’ll attempt to get my 30-day E visa on arrival. I don’t have any work-related documents (letter of employment, interviews etc.) to bolster my case for a 30-day E visa. Some say this doesn’t matter whilst others say it does. I’ve also been told I should hand immigration $45 ($35 for the visa and $10 to make it go smoothly).

My third question (apologies for the long post) is regards a Cambodia bank account. All being well I’ll return to Cambodia with a 30-day E visa. I’ll then convert this to a 6-month EB visa. I visited a branch of ABA bank last week and enquired what was needed to open an account. The girl I spoke to said all I needed we a 6-month visa, a Cambodian phone number and address (I could use my hotel for the address). This conflicts with the info on their website which states that I’d also need something work related, i.e. a letter of employment / employment contract.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mark
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

As soon as you depart Cambodia your T-type Visa will be cancelled as it is only valid for single (initial) entry.

Best, less hassle option is to fly to a neighbouring country and fly back, avoid land border entry points and bus/taxi travel.

Apply for the E-type (Ordinary) Visa on arrival when you return.

You will not be able to apply for a 6 month EB (Business) EOS unless you have employment with a Cambodian registered company, or own a Cambodian registered company.

Apply for a 6 month EG (General) EOS, no supporting documentation is required.

Once you gain employment or register a business you can then convert to an EB EOS within 1 month of your EG expiring.

Banking. I recommend ABA. 6 month Visa EOS, phone number and address (hotel is fine)...no employment documents required. Many people have even managed to open ABA accounts with only a T-type Visa. Be sure to sign up for internet banking, mobile app, and a Visa Debit Card.
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Re: Visa run to Thailand to change T visa to E visa, plus Cambodian bank account

Post by MarkVNCB »

Thank you for your considered reply, PSD-Kiwi.

OK, I’ll get a return to Kuala Lumpur with perhaps 12 hours before my return flight, in case my outbound flight is delayed. Guess I can hang out at the airport.

Sure, my first six-month visa needs to EG, not EB.

Regards booking the flight to KL: I don’t have a visa card, so I’ll have to pay cash. My dates are flexible, within the next 7 days or so. Could you recommend the best place to buy a ticket here in PP, or just try a few travel agents to find the cheapest flight?

Thanks again,

Mark
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Regards booking the flight to KL: I don’t have a visa card, so I’ll have to pay cash. My dates are flexible, within the next 7 days or so. Could you recommend the best place to buy a ticket here in PP,
Air Asia have an office on Riverside in between st 110 and 118
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

Great, thanks clutchcargo!
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

clutchcargo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:30 pm
Regards booking the flight to KL: I don’t have a visa card, so I’ll have to pay cash. My dates are flexible, within the next 7 days or so. Could you recommend the best place to buy a ticket here in PP,
I dont believe that is a '' Air Asia '' office owned by Air Asia . It's just an agency. You will find that out when you want to make a complaint or such. They will tell you to contact Air Asia.

But aside from that, I have always found KL 2 good to hang around for 12 or 24 hours . Plenty of different restaurants to try and when you know the layout of the place, there are a couple of quiet spots where you can lay down and have a kip.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
AnaPol
Tourist
Afghanistan

Post by AnaPol »

cheaper to fly to Bangkok than KL an why spend 12++hours in airport??
go have fun one night
https://www.expedia.co.th/Flights-Searc ... edia.co.th
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:19 pm
I dont believe that is a '' Air Asia '' office owned by Air Asia . It's just an agency.
Ah, yeah. They got all the signage etc that had me fooled but looking into it more you're right, they're some sort of agency.

There's a similar one on the ground floor of Aeon 1 mall but I suspect the same .

The airport office might be the only 'official' one then?
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

Duncan wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:19 pm
I dont believe that is a '' Air Asia '' office owned by Air Asia . It's just an agency. You will find that out when you want to make a complaint or such. They will tell you to contact Air Asia.

But aside from that, I have always found KL 2 good to hang around for 12 or 24 hours . Plenty of different restaurants to try and when you know the layout of the place, there are a couple of quiet spots where you can lay down and have a kip.

Yes it's not airasia.
Aisasia sells ticket at the airport.
MarkVNCB
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by MarkVNCB »

Thanks, Duncan.

It would be nice to see a bit of KL but I’m in a tight spot. I’ve lived in Vietnam for the past 13 years but some issues with my VN visa meant I had to get out quickly. So I’m here in Cambodia on a limited budget until I can open a bank account. I need to transfer funds bank to bank from the UK, Western Union is not something I’d like to consider at this stage.

Online, the cheapest return flights I’ve seen - PP / KL - range from $130 - $230, depending on the site. No idea if I can get a flight in this price range from a travel agent.

Thanks,

Mark
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic