Beware of the food

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Beware of the food

Post by newkidontheblock »

Sorry for being captain obvious, but not just street stalls can sell inedible food.

Went with missus to the Phnom Penh night market on a meet up with some friends. Had offal, lots of grilled meats, papaya salad. I was stuffed. Because she didn’t have any rice, she was still hungry for dinner.

So we stopped by a Khmer restaurant next to the hotel. Not Sary’s Fork and Spoon, but a good size Khmer restaurant that locals would eat at.

She ordered fried rice. Took a few bites. Then threw down some Riel and we left.

Afterwards she told me that the rice was unmilled, with husks still on the rice. Heavily fried, loaded with sugar and salt.

With bits of dirt still on the rice.

Not just street stalls can sell questionable food in the KOW. Caveat Empor
Isaanbarang
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Beware of the food

Post by Isaanbarang »

Caveat Emptor, I believe is the Latin phrase. Newsflash. even in Texas not all food sold in restaurants is good quality. Newsflash. Not all flip flops are good quality Newsflash. Some hotels are not as clean as others. Newsflash. Some English schools have teachers that only teach for the money
I could go on ad nauseum (also Latin).
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Offal?... eeeeeew!
You could be next.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Unmilled rice is considered pig food so if this story is true they won’t be in business for even a week.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Unmilled rice, sure. :please:
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

John Bingham wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:21 am Unmilled rice, sure. :please:
Maybe unmilled rice isn't part of ACE's curriculum and something was lost in translation.... :stir:
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

Much better for you than polished rice. Sure it wasn't just the brown stuff?
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

cptrelentless wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:15 pm Sure it wasn't just the brown stuff?
I've always found it interesting that in the west, brown rice is considered healthy..all that fibre and unrefined goodness etc.. yet in asia, it's considered to be a poor man's rice. White rice good for diabetes too I hear..
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:17 pm White rice good for diabetes too I hear..
It's one reason there is so much diabetes here.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Burger Time
Tourist

Post by Burger Time »

She complains if there’s no rice, and she complains if there is rice.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic