Chose a Wrong Name Can Be In Trouble

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Chose a Wrong Name Can Be In Trouble

Post by yong »

British Man Denied Passport Because His Name Is Considered Too Rude
TOM WOOD in NEWS
Last updated a day ago

A man from Cornwall is unable to leave the UK as his name is considered too rude to be printed on a passport.

It's his own fault, too. A few years back, Kenny Kennard decided to change his surname to Fu-Kennard.

Fu-Kennard, get it?

Well, that joke has now backfired because the former squaddie has had his passport application denied three times by the Home Office because it 'may cause offence'.

He managed to get a driving licence without trouble. Credit: SWNS

The supermarket employee from Bude has now realised that his name change, which he thought it was funny at the time, might not have been the smartest move he's ever made.

That said, he doesn't want to change it back. Staycations it is then.

He said: "I'd decided to change my name to Fu-Kennard a few years back.

"When I had to apply for a driving licence, it was accepted fine, so I figured it wouldn't make much difference in applying for a passport.

"How wrong I was.

"I got refused on grounds that my name could cause offence or was vulgar.

"So I complained, but they upheld their decision so I complained again. I was then told they'd keep the fee for administration costs.

"If I wanted to take the matter further, they said I'd need to contact my MP.

"So I wrote to MP Scott Mann, and he replied saying they're within their remit to refuse."

He's been denied three times. Credit: SWNS

He continued: "Now I'm skint with no passport, like a prisoner in my own country.
"On the one hand, I find the whole thing funny - as do all of my friends.

"But I'm also finding it hard to believe the name could be construed as anything but funny and slightly ridiculous. It's just a joke.

"I agree with Home Office policy that not all names are acceptable, such as racial hate words or anything that invokes hatred.

"'Fu-Kennard' is not offensive, and I object to them denying my chosen name."

This is actually sort of a hobby of Kenny's. When he was 16 he changed his name to 'Coco Kenny' but was told to change it back by the Army when he was aged 19 because it was 'immature'.

After spending eight years in the forces, he left and decided to change again. He says he settled for 'Fu-Kennard' because he had to 'play it a bit safe' when applying for jokes because 'not everyone gets the joke'.

He explained: "Life is too short to be boring."

Yep, life is too short to be boring. Credit: SWNS

According to the guidelines for getting a passport set by the Home Office, 'names that may cause outrage' are 'unacceptable' and not fit for a passport.

That includes: "The use of swear words; sexually explicit references; inappropriate religious connotation; is vulgar, offensive, or libellous to an individual; makes use of a name of a person living or dead which may cause public concern.

"This applies to phonetic, as well as actual use of words comprising of part or the entire name."

Oh, and they're keeping his £94.75 application fee 'to cover the costs of admin'.

Whatever the case, Kenny now can't go on holiday unless it's within the UK.

For the foreseeable future, he's stuck on these shores. Credit: SWNS

"Without a passport, I can't go on holiday abroad." He added.

"I live in a seaside town, but have always enjoyed travelling.

"My last holiday - to Sri Lanka - was about three years ago. But there are so many countries I'd still like to visit, such as Cambodia.

"I went camping down Sennen Beach last month for my week off. For my next leave, I have no plans as my options are limited.

"I have a stag do in three weeks, for instance. When the best man was deciding what to do for it, he knew I couldn't travel - so he settled on Cardiff instead.

"I don't know what else I can do to escalate the situation with HM Passport Office, because no one has advised me how else I can challenge the verdict.

"I only have one red line, though - I'm keeping my surname.

"I don't want to change it again, especially because they're restricting my freedom.

"I like Fu-Kennard."

Well, you're going to find it Fu-Kennard to leave Britain for a holiday, then.

Featured Image Credit: SWNS
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Chose a Wrong Name Can Be In Trouble

Post by John Bingham »

Fu-Kenretard.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 pm Fu-Kenretard.
Fu-kenright!
You could be next.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Arget!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

Another visit to court to get the British equivalent of a Writ of Mandate to compel the passport office to issue him one should not be that difficult. One advantage of a country of laws is that stupid clerks cannot make up their own rules, as happens so often in Thailand-Cambodia.

The arrogance of Western Government is frightening, he should get his passport and everyone involved in denying it should be immediately sacked.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Fu-kinard wrote:Now I'm skint with no passport
Maybe he should figure out how to get less skint before he bothers getting a passport? Otherwise he could try the Channel Tunnel?
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Robins wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:08 pm Another visit to court to get the British equivalent of a Writ of Mandate to compel the passport office to issue him one should not be that difficult. One advantage of a country of laws is that stupid clerks cannot make up their own rules, as happens so often in Thailand-Cambodia.

The arrogance of Western Government is frightening, he should get his passport and everyone involved in denying it should be immediately sacked.
Or, the rest of the world could thank the U.K. for keeping him at home so we don't see him drunk and shirtless on Riverside...
Just a thought
up to you...
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:17 pm
Fu-kinard wrote:Now I'm skint with no passport
Maybe he should figure out how to get less skint before he bothers getting a passport? Otherwise he could try the Channel Tunnel?
Alternatively, he could stop being a d***, save up his giros, and change his name back :lol:
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Cruisemonkey wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:57 pm
John Bingham wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:47 pm Fu-Kenretard.
Fu-kenright!
Fu-Keneh!
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Legion Etrangere.

New name, new nationality, lots of travelling here and there.

He's got some good background to be admitted.

On the other hand, this guy has a passport, so.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiny_Kox

I'd like to see the face of a Thai or Cambodian immig officer when checking a "Tiny Kox" tourist coming in.
Priceless !

:ROFL:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic