AirAsia to remove processing fee for credit card, online banking payments

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

AirAsia to remove processing fee for credit card, online banking payments

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

KUALA LUMPUR: Low-cost carrier AirAsia said on Tuesday (Jul 30) it will no longer be charging customers who make payments via credit card and online banking a processing fee.

The move will take effect in October.

“We (will) still have some charges to drive traffic to cheaper, safer and less fraudless (sic) methods. But there will be methods with no fees,” said group chief executive officer Tony Fernandes, who tweeted the announcement with the hashtags #technologyrules and #makingairfaresaffordable.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/bu ... n-11766162
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: AirAsia to remove processing fee for credit card, online banking payments

Post by timmydownawell »

Well that's good. They don't seem to do free seat promos any more (i.e. just pay taxes) but their planes always seem to be pretty full now.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Their card fees were always a bugbear of mine. When booking from Australia card fees would be $10.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:23 pm Their card fees were always a bugbear of mine. When booking from Australia card fees would be $10.
The article implies that Union Pay has their highest fee, but it's a lot cheaper than the $17 they once wanted me to cough up for using an Aussie debit card.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:20 pm Well that's good. They don't seem to do free seat promos any more (i.e. just pay taxes) but their planes always seem to be pretty full now.
They used to have ridiculously cheap fares in quiet periods. Fare sometimes cheaper than the taxes.
But a few years ago they put a minimum prices on tickets. Still cheap if you surf the dates, but never almost free as before.
They seemed to have tweaked the algorithms pretty well tho, as you say Tim, the flights are pretty full these days.

I still get a three seat bed almost every time tho' - you just gotta know the system, be as cunning as hell, have more front than Marilyn Monroe, and be prepared to be ruthless to the point of cruelty.
It's worth it - just to carry that smug smile while everyone else is looking so resentful.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Soon they will be offering special seats at very cheap prices.

## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Well, it was either us or them.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 pm I still get a three seat bed almost every time tho' - you just gotta know the system, be as cunning as hell, have more front than Marilyn Monroe, and be prepared to be ruthless to the point of cruelty.
It's worth it - just to carry that smug smile while everyone else is looking so resentful.
Care to enlighten us as to how?
You could be next.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Cruisemonkey wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:22 am
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:34 pm I still get a three seat bed almost every time tho' - you just gotta know the system, be as cunning as hell, have more front than Marilyn Monroe, and be prepared to be ruthless to the point of cruelty.
Care to enlighten us as to how?
OK Cruise, but afterwards you gotta give me some tips on stowing away on one of your cruisesliners. Deal?

I just started writing the instruction manual but I am not very good at keeping anything simple. Give me a day or so.
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

I can tell you how get the best fare for a cruise (pay less than anyone else), but 'stowing away' is neigh on impossible.

P.S. For me to fly Air Asia, the flight has to 2 hrs. or less. I just did a visa run SGN to KUL... and back... the same day.
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic