Xmas Gifts For The Folks Back Home. Suggestions??

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
potty
Expatriate

Re: Xmas Gifts For The Folks Back Home. Suggestions??

Post by potty »

what is a viet drip cup ?
anyone with a picture ?
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

StroppyChops wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Not sure what you can take into Oz for coffee etc (customs), but there's a charity shop (blind people maybe ?) at Russian market that sells little gift packs of Khmer curry and other spices. Its on a street on the outside of the market.
I wouldn't take any food products into oz, this will hold you up in customs for a very long time and it will almost certainly be removed from you anyway.
You are talking out your arse Stroppy. If the heavily quarantined brought in stuff like prahok and dried marinated finish are allowed over many years I wouldnt worry too much about it.
EVERYONE BOW DOWN AND PAY EXTREME HOMAGE TO HIS MAJESTIES flying chicken©
Playboy
Lord Gayboy
Great Britain

Post by Playboy »

potty wrote:what is a viet drip cup ?
A Youn hooker with gonorrhea ???
Last edited by Playboy on Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Actively seeking Thai Ladyboys to sexually dominate me. Please inquire within.
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

flying chicken wrote:
StroppyChops wrote:
Anchor Moy wrote:Not sure what you can take into Oz for coffee etc (customs), but there's a charity shop (blind people maybe ?) at Russian market that sells little gift packs of Khmer curry and other spices. Its on a street on the outside of the market.
I wouldn't take any food products into oz, this will hold you up in customs for a very long time and it will almost certainly be removed from you anyway.
You are talking out your arse Stroppy. If the heavily quarantined brought in stuff like prahok and dried marinated finish are allowed over many years I wouldnt worry too much about it.
Important information for domestic passengers travelling on international flights to Australia
If you’re carrying food or other items of biosecurity risk, you must show a biosecurity officer a receipt or other document proving that the product is of Australian origin. If you cannot show proof, your items will be seized. Please note that some states prohibit the entry of fresh fruit from other parts of Australia.

The following is not a complete list of items that you must declare on arrival. In many cases items you declare will be returned to you after inspection. If biosecurity concerns are found during the inspection, a Biosecurity officer may give you the option of treating goods (at your cost), after treatment they will be returned to you.

Some items may be allowed in if accompanied by an Import Permit (issued by the department before your arrival) or with mandatory treatment in Australia (fees and charges apply). Alternatively you can drop them in quarantine bins at the airport.

•airline food and snacks
•commercially prepared, cooked and raw food and ingredients
•dried fruit and vegetables
•instant noodles and rice
•packaged meals
•herbs and spices
•herbal and traditional medicines, remedies, tonics and herbal teas
•snack foods

Prohibited dairy and egg products
•infant formula (must be accompanying a child)
•dairy products (fresh and powdered) including milk, cheese and ‘non-dairy’ creamers
•cheese—must be commercially prepared and packaged and originate from countries free from foot and mouth disease
•all whole, dried and powdered eggs, and egg products, such as mayonnaise
•egg products including noodles and pasta that are not commercially manufactured

Prohibited meat products
•meat including fresh, dried, frozen, cooked, smoked, salted or preserved—from all animal species
•sausages, salami and sliced meats
•fish and other seafood products
•pet food—including canned products and raw hide chews
•rawhide article sand handicrafts including drums

Prohibited Seeds and nuts

•cereal grains, popping corn, raw nuts, pinecones, birdseed, unidentified seeds, some commercially packaged seeds, and ornaments including seeds

Prohibited fresh fruit and vegetables

•all fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables
•all fruit and vegetables must be accompanied by a valid import permit. Please search the department’s Import Condition Database (ICON) for specific commodity requirements.
http://www.agriculture.gov.au/biosecuri ... /cant-take
Tim Linkinwater
Expatriate

Post by Tim Linkinwater »

Married friends seem to appreciate Zeagra, or at least their wives do.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

Instead of copying and paste from the boring Australian immigration rules, why not tell about your experience. Airports around the world have similar things written too. Not to mention no smoking place at Sydney international airport after hours on the flight.

I had put dried fish passing through that Singapore airport, Sydney, Auckland and Christchurch. I was asked and green lights all the way. I think the reason brought stuff is confiscated is because of the excessive amount.
Digg3r
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Digg3r »

I've pretty much always brought food through Australian customs. So long as you declare it there hasn't been a hassle.

They get kind of pissed off about excess cigarettes and prescription pharmaceuticals without a prescription...
Kuroneko
Expatriate

Post by Kuroneko »

flying chicken wrote:Instead of copying and paste from the boring Australian immigration rules, why not tell about your experience. Airports around the world have similar things written too. Not to mention no smoking place at Sydney international airport after hours on the flight.

I had put dried fish passing through that Singapore airport, Sydney, Auckland and Christchurch. I was asked and green lights all the way. I think the reason brought stuff is confiscated is because of the excessive amount.
Because my experience of travelling around the world is irrelevant to the question. We are talking about what is legal to import to Australia and so the Australian Government site listing what is legal is highly pertinent. The fact that you successfully smuggled dried fish to Auckland is irrelevant. When you were at Sydney airport did you leave the airport and go through customs. Because if you did you were lucky to get through because if you had have been caught you would have been fined and prosecuted

On arrival your baggage may be assessed by x-ray, detector dog or inspected by a biosecurity officer. If you fail to declare or dispose of any biosecurity risk items, or make a false declaration:
•you will be caught
•you could be fined $340 on-the-spot, or
•you could be prosecuted, fined more than $66000 and risk 10 years jail and a criminal record.

A couple of years ago I was travelling back and fourth to Australia two or three times a year and on countless occasions. In the customs area sniffer dogs check your bags. I saw travellers on numerous occasions have their bags checked following the dog search then taken aside to be charged.
flying chicken
Expatriate

Post by flying chicken »

I meant to say Custom not Immigration in my above post.

I put the dried fish in the luggage in the above mentioned airports. After 9/11 the NZ and Oz airports were strict than a nun's tits...smuggling is the last thing on my mind and not a nice word to use. They were very strict about quarantine. I filled out the required forms. The only complaint I got from the custom officers was they are stink, but OK.
potty
Expatriate

Post by potty »

i was there before 9/11.
though, I could agree and eat the chocolate bars before immigration, but didn't mention my 3 kg supplements in the backpack.
sorry - this was too expensive, and I didn't know this stuff when booking.
walked through with my umpteen bottles of supplements.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic