Travel within Cambodia

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
michael.harrison
Tourist
United States of America

Travel within Cambodia

Post by michael.harrison »

Hi All — I would love your help as I am looking at spending about 10 days in Cambodia June 2020. A single 40ish, fit, male traveling solo. After a long school year, I think I would like to see 2 places within this journey. Phnom Penh is definitely one ... being the capital with Palaces, Killing fields, etc. I’m asking where else would you see for stop #2?

I’m typically a beach person and am leaning that way. I also don’t want to take up a whole day traveling. I like sun, fun, beach, beach bars, and some good evening places to hang out!

Thanks in advance for your advice.... my search is on!
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Re: Travel within Cambodia

Post by SINUS »

michael.harrison wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:53 am I like sun, fun, beach, beach bars, and some good evening places to hang out!
probably, you will first need to learn Chinese.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

Koh Rong or Koh Rong Samloem, try not to spend a night in the hell known as Sihanoukville. You will need to arrive by noon to avoid it.
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

To paraphrase the words of the prophet - it would be churlish to visit Phnom Penh and not visit Angkor Wat. Koh Rong & islands best for beaches. Because of your time constraints you would need to fly from Phnom Penh - Siem Reap - Sihanoukville. Why not 2 days in Phnom Penh, 2 days in Siem Reap and the rest at the beach? Yes I know you said two places only but the magic of flying allows for a little more.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

If you want beaches then what FLB said Koh Rong or Koh Rong Samloem would probably suit you. Distances are meaningless here, travel time is what matters. So, fly PP-SHV, one hour, plus one hour airport to the port, maybe more. Bus about 8 hours, plus 30 minutes to the port, van slightly less time, but you'd want to take a Valium and something for motion sickness.
If it were me with that limited amount of time my itinerary would be (assuming fly in/out of PP) PP-Siem Reap-SHV-PP
up to you...
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

I just read the bit where you said you were coming in June 2020. So never mind what I wrote, it will all have changed by then.
up to you...
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

you don't seem to care about Angkor Wat..
you should just fly into Bangkok and go to Pattaya..
Phnom Penh is nothing special..
having to travel to chinaville to get to the pier to take a boat to koh Rong is a waste...
You are a few years too late...lad..
Just go to Thailand and have a good time.
You mentioned the killing fields...the country is covered in killing fields.
the museum you are talking about is near Phnom Penh..
i think you should stop thinking about Cambodia and focus on hitting Thailand...
I lived in Sihanoukville, Kampot and now live in Siem Reap...
I love Siem Reap....going back to the Angkor Wat complex again today...
go to Bangkok...catch a ride from the airport to Pattaya and enjoy the ladies..
SINUS
Expatriate
Russia

Post by SINUS »

Clemen wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:19 am I just read the bit where you said you were coming in June 2020. So never mind what I wrote, it will all have changed by then.
... and for the better, right? :)
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Of course, the highway will be finished, sewage treatment, new water lines, all the construction completed, basically the Garden of Eden (before the business with the apple) but with all mod cons. Paradise on earth
up to you...
Cruisemonkey
Expatriate
Vietnam

Post by Cruisemonkey »

Clemen wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:11 am Bus about 8 hours, plus 30 minutes to the port, van slightly less time, but you'd want to take a Valium and something for motion sickness.
... plus a really good medical/accident and life insurance policies.
You could be next.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic