Calling Android Mobile Techy/Users - File Management

Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Calling Android Mobile Techy/Users - File Management

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I've just bought a Huawei MediaPad M5 Lite 8" as a replacement for my 6 year old Ipad Mini which has served me well but the battery is pretty much shot for extended mobile use, so far really impressed and pleased with the Huawei. One of my main uses is to view and do photo edits on the go for posting to Flickr, 500Px etc and after much searching I found a little mobile micro usb-c hub with 4 USB 2 ports which I can plug in my SD Card/Micro SD card into and do that, it also allows me to use my bluetooth mouse on the device which was beyond my expectations.

Trying to take it a step further I'm wondering if there is solution to back up my SD card photos onto the micro SD card reader within the device, ( 256GB), I think that would offer the most cost effective and portable back-up solution. Anyone know of a file management app, free or paid, that would allow me to move/copy files this way within/through the device.

I'd be interested to hear any other solutions, I realise I could be missing something really obvious since I'm new to android. I'm not into paid cloud solutions as I don't like ongoing costs. I'm searching the net as well.

Any feedback appreciated.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Calling Android Mobile Techy/Users - File Management

Post by beaker »

Use a USB drive for backup instead a cheap one will hold 32G. Get the ones with both sizes of USBs that way you can plug it into phones, laptop, or printers too.

"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Go to setting, cloud and accounts, back up. Done. Android is way better than apple for techies
Still here, in country...
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

I use Google Photos to backup/save/store my photos then they can be accessed via phone, or computer etc. Once it is set up it works automatically and it is free
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

beaker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am Use a USB drive for backup instead a cheap one will hold 32G. Get the ones with both sizes of USBs that way you can plug it into phones, laptop, or printers too.

Success, I've just managed to do it from outside hub into Pad micro sim using the pre-installed files app. I guess it should work using one of these USB drives plugged into another of the outside hub slots, advantages being I don't have to remove the internal micro sd all the time which is fiddly, there is a wide selection of those drives available cheaply and less likely to lose than a micro sd. Cheers for that Beaker. I need big capacity as the raw photo files are large.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:29 am Go to setting, cloud and accounts, back up. Done. Android is way better than apple for techies
What I like about the Android devices is the hard storage expansion options, I went for the cheapest Huawei that only has 32GB internal which is more than enough for the apps I'm likely to need and being able to manipulate files between cards or drives on the go without the need for a laptop is a huge plus for me. The machine has 3GB Ram but it's operating really fast. Thanks for the suggestion.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

beaker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:38 am I use Google Photos to backup/save/store my photos then they can be accessed via phone, or computer etc. Once it is set up it works automatically and it is free
I'll use that for my jpegs as they are likely within the file size limit.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:52 am
beaker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:38 am I use Google Photos to backup/save/store my photos then they can be accessed via phone, or computer etc. Once it is set up it works automatically and it is free
I'll use that for my jpegs as they are likely within the file size limit.
same deal with Microsoft onedrive. I use Samsung cloud, google, and one drive. overkill on backups but they're there. :)
Still here, in country...
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 am
beaker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am Use a USB drive for backup instead a cheap one will hold 32G. Get the ones with both sizes of USBs that way you can plug it into phones, laptop, or printers too.

Success, I've just managed to do it from outside hub into Pad micro sim using the pre-installed files app. I guess it should work using one of these USB drives plugged into another of the outside hub slots, advantages being I don't have to remove the internal micro sd all the time which is fiddly, there is a wide selection of those drives available cheaply and less likely to lose than a micro sd. Cheers for that Beaker. I need big capacity as the raw photo files are large.
I can plug one of those USB drives into my phone, but I have been unable to access it. Do you need to install an additional app? Are there any tricks I may not be aware of? My phone runs Android 6.0,
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Android is essentially a customized version of a desktop operating system (Linux), which is why it offers almost everything a normal PC does, such as a file system / mouse support / easy transfer of files / USB (all types) support and much more.

I know Apple claim that iOS is based on OSX (as it was called at the time) but they deliberately stripped out everything that was useful to completely separate it from the desktop experience. Apple seem to be quite good at stripping out things that are useful. Headphone jack anyone?

I have no idea why people still buy iPhones in an age where the majority of Android phones can do either more, or the same job but often a lot better for a much cheaper price.

Sorry, I went a bit off topic. I'm glad you found a solution. :)
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic