Phones, Internet, Computers and such.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Calling Android Mobile Techy/Users - File Management

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:15 pm
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:39 am
beaker wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:57 am Use a USB drive for backup instead a cheap one will hold 32G. Get the ones with both sizes of USBs that way you can plug it into phones, laptop, or printers too.

Success, I've just managed to do it from outside hub into Pad micro sim using the pre-installed files app. I guess it should work using one of these USB drives plugged into another of the outside hub slots, advantages being I don't have to remove the internal micro sd all the time which is fiddly, there is a wide selection of those drives available cheaply and less likely to lose than a micro sd. Cheers for that Beaker. I need big capacity as the raw photo files are large.
I can plug one of those USB drives into my phone, but I have been unable to access it. Do you need to install an additional app? Are there any tricks I may not be aware of? My phone runs Android 6.0,
No extra apps should be needed. Go to Settings>Storage and it should show up there as USB then just select it
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 am No extra apps should be needed. Go to Settings>Storage and it should show up there as USB then just select it
On my phone the USB does not show up.

Another option I would be happy to use, is a USB cable connected directly to the Computer running Linux. I have not been able to get this to work either.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 am
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:29 am No extra apps should be needed. Go to Settings>Storage and it should show up there as USB then just select it
On my phone the USB does not show up.

Another option I would be happy to use, is a USB cable connected directly to the Computer running Linux. I have not been able to get this to work either.

for viewing on computer you need the proper phone drivers installed on computer

1)turn on your developer options go to Settings>About Phone then press the build number 7 times in succession that should give you the developer options
2)go to the developer options and then enable USB debugging
3)then when you plug it into your computer you should get a notification on your phone pull down the notification screen and tick on transfer files. It may take a while the first time as the computer sets up and installs the phone

when you connect a USB drive for the first time you should get a notification and be asked if you want to format it tick yes after you format it then it should show up
"i'm the one who has to die, when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way i want to"
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am 1)turn on your developer options go to Settings>About Phone then press the build number 7 times in succession that should give you the developer options
3)then when you plug it into your computer you should get a notification on your phone pull down the notification screen and tick on transfer files. It may take a while the first time as the computer sets up and installs the phone
I have got 1 and 2 to work.

With 3, I get, USB connected, Charge only.
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am when you connect a USB drive for the first time you should get a notification and be asked if you want to format it tick yes after you format it then it should show up
The USB drive does not show up to format.
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

At least for the iPhone/iPads the USB drives require a dedicated app from the manufacturer.

Is there anything on the box that says download app first?

Sorry to be so obvious.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 am
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am 1)turn on your developer options go to Settings>About Phone then press the build number 7 times in succession that should give you the developer options
I have got 1 and 2 to work.

With 3, I get, USB connected, Charge only.
There should be a notification telling you it is connected charge only and also it should have options for file transfer on that same notification. Some have another option in the System>developer options for Debugging notify ( to display a notification when USB debugging is enabled) that should also be turned on. There also could be a Default USB configuration click on that then select 'file transfer
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am when you connect a USB drive for the first time you should get a notification and be asked if you want to format it tick yes after you format it then it should show up
The USB drive does not show up to format.
check your File Explorer when you plug the flash drive in , press the 3 little lines upper left corner and it should be listed there then just select it
jimi hendrix
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am With 3, I get, USB connected, Charge only.
There should be a notification telling you it is connected charge only and also it should have options for file transfer on that same notification. Some have another option in the System>developer options for Debugging notify ( to display a notification when USB debugging is enabled) that should also be turned on. There also could be a Default USB configuration click on that then select 'file transfer
There is no option to transfer.
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am The USB drive does not show up to format.
check your File Explorer when you plug the flash drive in , press the 3 little lines upper left corner and it should be listed there then just select it
There is not 3 lines in the upper left corner.

My phone runs Android 6.0. Is it possible that what you are talking about runs on other versions of Android, but not Android 6.0?

Maybe there are other settings which need to be changed.

Maybe there is an app or apps which need to be installed.
beaker
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by beaker »

explorer wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:45 am
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am With 3, I get, USB connected, Charge only.
There is no option to transfer.
beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:08 am The USB drive does not show up to format.
There is not 3 lines in the upper left corner.

My phone runs Android 6.0. Is it possible that what you are talking about runs on other versions of Android, but not Android 6.0?

Maybe there are other settings which need to be changed.

Maybe there is an app or apps which need to be installed.
Sorry my memory doesn't go back that far I forget what that was like possibly there could be permission that need to be applied to access the USB
I would suggest you update the operating system. What make and model is it ?
jimi hendrix
jimpson
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jimpson »

To access the USB on my android smartphone i need to go to settings, additional settings, OTG Connection then select the OTG as on
The USB is readable and useful whilst connected. Once removed and yo want to use it again you need to repeat
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

beaker wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:49 pm Sorry my memory doesn't go back that far I forget what that was like possibly there could be permission that need to be applied to access the USB. I would suggest you update the operating system. What make and model is it?
It is a Huawei, approximately two and a half years old.

The next thing I will probably experiment with is installing an app in Linux that is supposed to give access to the phone. Maybe not immediately.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic