Normal-Looking Woman Arrested for Drug Trafficking in Phnom Penh Market

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Yobbo
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Normal-Looking Woman Arrested for Drug Trafficking in Phnom Penh Market

Post by Yobbo »

Duncan wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:10 am
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:25 am Why do the headlines for topics involving women always have to make comment on the woman’s appearance?

Headlines for threads involving men don’t refer to their looks.

It’s very objectifying of women.
And it's about time men were given equal rights to women, we are sick of being left out of the headlines
and only being referred to as drunks, yobbos and such.
Why not handsome good-looking drunk man or sexy looking yobbo .
I always get referred to as welcome handsome man :wink:
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Brody wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:16 pm FFS, I hope that common sense prevails and CEO doesn't turn into some kind of half-baked millennial safe space.

I'm beginning to feel that this entire generation should have been smothered in the crib.
Nah, there's a lot of "us millennials" that are constantly wondering WTF is going on. Reality doesn't seem to be lining up with what media and television tries to sell.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Yobbo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:32 pm
rozzieoz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:25 am Why do the headlines for topics involving women always have to make comment on the woman’s appearance?

And it's about time men were given equal rights to women, we are sick of being left out of the headlines
Followed by: 'Hey, I know you!' :plus1:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

clutchcargo wrote:
Yobbo wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Followed by: 'Hey, I know you!' :plus1:
But....they do!

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

Personally I find it quite funny that a woman's appearance is often commented on in these sorts of headlines on CEO.

The fact that the author couldn't think of any relevent adjectives to describe this woman, so just said 'normal looking' actually made me chuckle.

I'm just from that pre-PC generation I guess.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

The "normal looking" title is in response to a tsunami sized backlash against the objectification of women on this site, somehow it ties into ClutchCargos ascendency to mod status (preliminary to world domination and the coming of the four horsemen), the slight homepage redesign, and a few other things I am not currently at liberty to discuss.
N.B. No adjectives were harmed in the making of this post
up to you...
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Clemen wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:38 pm The "normal looking" title is in response to a tsunami sized backlash against the objectification of women on this site, somehow it ties into ClutchCargos ascendency to mod status
That's correct it is; and no it doesn't.

I think it's been mentioned countless times but, it's not CEO objectifying anything, those headlines are translated directly from the Khmer news source.

So the Khmer's are writing it that way, and CEO cheekily keeps it that way in the translation. Its amusing. And it's a reflection of present day Khmer culture.

I don't think Khmer women get all worked up over being "objectified". I think some of our Western membership are projecting that on them.

I mean, just take a look at some of the professional female office attire around town. Acleda bank for example, skin-tight skirts, waaaaaaaay above the knee. There's no women's lib movement with Khmer women up in arms at being forced to wear such sexual uniforms to work. They think it's 'saaaart' and are just peachy about it I'm sure.

I defy any red blooded man amongst us to wait in line for a wire transfer and not walk out of there without a half-chub working in his pants.

Anyway, where was I....Oh yeah, "normal"? This chick is a straight up butter-face. Nothing normal going on there.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

rozzieoz wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:56 am I vote to leave personal appearance out of topics completely.
Agree with this, the exception being where they copy the news source.

What percentage of topics that include a woman as part of the story devolve into rating their looks on this site? It feels like it’s over 90% chance that if the OP has a pic of a woman that most of the posts would discuss her looks instead of what happened.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

GMJS-CEO wrote:
What percentage of topics that include a woman as part of the story devolve into rating their looks on this site? It feels like it’s over 90% chance that if the OP has a pic of a woman that most of the posts would discuss her looks instead of what happened.
Exactly! Thank you for saying this.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

It's a dance.
How do we have a good open forum, without a having a few fools taking great delight in being offensive, or grossing everybody out, just because they can??

I don't know the answer, but at least we are talking about it.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic