Recommended TV shows and series

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Recommended TV shows and series

Post by rozzieoz »

I love the Scandinavian stuff on Netflix, there are some good series dubbed into English.
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
Big Daikon
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Big Daikon »

I dig the Scandi vibe.

This was a fun watch.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:13 pm
Big Daikon wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:05 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 pm I hate that. You give hours of your life, 2 or 3 seasons into a series and it just gets worse, but you are committed. I did that with Animal Kingdom but I just gave up, it became too boring and implausible.
Happened to me with Walking Dead and Vikings. Gave up on both. Sucks.
What is worse is when you start a series thinking it is completed. I did that with Game of Thrones only to find that after bingeing 7 seasons I realised there was an eighth and it was not released yet.
Game of Thrones didn't miss an episode - overall happy with it.

Walking Dead I lost interest in many seasons ago.

Vikings - It started really strong, in the middle it hit a valley with a particularly weak season or two focusing on Ivar leading the town like a madman. For that period every episode seemed to be making the same point and was repetitive, just making more episodes to make them ($). Thankfully I found the ending of Vikings recovered from those low seasons, not to the strength of the first 2 seasons but satisfying.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Big Daikon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:39 pm Worth the bump.

Watching another Korean series. Fun.
I watch these Korean and other non-English shows (The rain) and they are good enough to keep me watching. I could do with less of the relationship stuff that is geared for the teen/twilight crowd but overall has enough action to keep it enjoyable for me.
tightenupvolume1
Expatriate
India

Post by tightenupvolume1 »

I just watched a disturbing documentary on Netflix called "Three perfect strangers" Basically an experiment was done in the USA all through the 60s and 70s by separating identical twins and triplets putting them up for adoption and then studying them. They chose the children of people who had mental health problems and carefully chose the family's they put the kids with. The kids were filmed and questioned all through their lives nobody except the doctors knew about it. All the results from this experiment are in a vault and can not be seen until 2066
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 pm
violet wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:08 am
Narcos is the better of the two but Narcos Mexico is also very good.

There is another one that I have been meaning to start on - Queen of the South - which has run to 5 seasons so must have quite a following.

Has anyone seen it and can recommend it?
for what it's worth. I watched it. I got half way through Season 4 and then finally gave up. It was okay.
I hate that. You give hours of your life, 2 or 3 seasons into a series and it just gets worse, but you are committed. I did that with Animal Kingdom but I just gave up, it became too boring and implausible.

I'll give Queen of the South 1 series and unless it thrills I will bail out.
I’m five episodes into Snowfall. I hadn’t heard about it until last week but there five seasons. It might be of interest if Queen of the South didn’t survive with you.
It’s about the development of the crack epidemic in LA in the 80s
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

violet wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:49 pm
violet wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:19 pm
Doc67 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 11:08 am
Narcos is the better of the two but Narcos Mexico is also very good.

There is another one that I have been meaning to start on - Queen of the South - which has run to 5 seasons so must have quite a following.

Has anyone seen it and can recommend it?
for what it's worth. I watched it. I got half way through Season 4 and then finally gave up. It was okay.
I hate that. You give hours of your life, 2 or 3 seasons into a series and it just gets worse, but you are committed. I did that with Animal Kingdom but I just gave up, it became too boring and implausible.

I'll give Queen of the South 1 series and unless it thrills I will bail out.
I’m five episodes into Snowfall. I hadn’t heard about it until last week but there five seasons. It might be of interest if Queen of the South didn’t survive with you.
It’s about the development of the crack epidemic in LA in the 80s
its good :thumb: have watched all since day one
another new one out there

Mayans is back as well, ( not as good as "sons of Anarchy" but watchable"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Trial 4 - available on Netflix.

This is an 8 part documentary about a 19 year old black kid in Boston convicted in 1994 for murder of a Boston police officer and sentenced to life without parole (on the 3rd attempt after 2 previous mistrials). He was released 22 years later in 2015 when he was granted a new trial (after 2 previous attempts!)

This is a story of serious police corruption slowly being exposed, with each new disclosure more egregious than the last, and the build up to his 4th murder trial.

The only downside is you have to suffer very thick Boston accents throughout, and now I get the joke about it in "Ted".
Spoiler:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

2 new ones

"We own this city"
Another series set in Baltimore by the same writer, ( recall "The wire", one of the best tv shows of all times)

https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainmen ... wire.html/

Slow Horses

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

rozzieoz wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:18 pm I love the Scandinavian stuff on Netflix, there are some good series dubbed into English.
Have you watched Borgen?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic