Recommended MOVIES

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Recommended MOVIES

Post by Marty »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:27 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:00 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:03 pm

I'm just at the beginning of watching once upon a time in Hollywood. hell of a cast.

I finished it. I'm not a Tarantino fan, but I liked this movie a lot. unbelievable cast. it's a good flick to watch.
Interesting coz I'm a Tarantino fan and I was really looking forward to this movie. I thought the acting was great but somehow I got bored with the plot half way through..

Interested to hear what other members thought.
Some interesting depictions of Manson Family members, about 15 minutes of this otherwise long, tedious, boring waste of film.
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

I've got nothing recent to recommend, not off the top of my head anyway, with regards to cerebral films though,
my favorite SciFi movie is Primer:

It's about 2 guys, accidentally inventing a time travel machine & the consequences.
Really hard to follow, takes multiple viewings for smarter people than me, but in the end it all adds up, which in itself is quite the achievement for a time travel movie.

This might help:

Top comment:
"Now I understand why I didn't understand the film. I still don't understand the film, but I understand why I don't understand it."

My favorite David Mamet movie is Glengarry Glen Ross with Al Pacino, Alec Baldwin, Alan Arkin, Jack Lemmon, Ed Harris, Kevin Spacey from 1992.
It's a fantastic movie, all talk no explosions, jazz soundtrack by James Newton Howard i believe. Mamet has always been the master of sharp, witty dialogue & it shows.

CommandoRed
Expatriate
Denmark

Post by CommandoRed »

Dario wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 am I've got nothing recent to recommend, not off the top of my head anyway, with regards to cerebral films though,

For good time travel sci-fi. You need to watch DARK Netflix series.
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by cptrelentless »

CommandoRed wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:04 am
Dario wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:48 am I've got nothing recent to recommend, not off the top of my head anyway, with regards to cerebral films though,

For good time travel sci-fi. You need to watch DARK Netflix series.
Time Crimes:

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Primer is indeed the best serious time travel film out there (sorry Time Bandits and Evil Dead 3, you don't count). Shane Carruth is a natural born film maker, producing Primer in his garage with only $7000, most of which was spent on film, and with no prior editing, filming, directing, or writing experience. Carruth's second film, Upstream Color, is a classic too. More speculative fiction than science fiction, it sure has some plot. It's about a man who fuses a woman's personality with a pig using a psychedelic parasite that can alter an organism's genetic structure. It can be difficult to follow as well, but unlike Primer, this is a beautiful movie..

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Loved The VVitch and loved this one two. Great drinking film, and great psychological/psychedelic thriller, probably unlike any other. Isolation, insanity, misguided love, and getting wasted on kerosene.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

I just watched Escape from Pretoria. based on true events in S. Africa pre-Mendela. it's a great movie.
siliconlife wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 pm

Loved The VVitch and loved this one two. Great drinking film, and great psychological/psychedelic thriller, probably unlike any other. Isolation, insanity, misguided love, and getting wasted on kerosene.
I'm going to watch the lighthouse flick tomorrow. :popcorn:
Still here, in country...
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm I just watched Escape from Pretoria. based on true events in S. Africa pre-Mendela. it's a great movie.

I can't get in the mood to try watching this one.

Has anyone seen "The Platform" yet? my God, it is disturbing!
Still here, in country...
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ravensnest wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm I just watched Escape from Pretoria. based on true events in S. Africa pre-Mendela. it's a great movie.

I can't get in the mood to try watching this one.

Has anyone seen "The Platform" yet? my God, it is disturbing!
is the platform comparable to those human centipede movies? If so, I'll skip it.
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic