Recommended MOVIES

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Darkcel
Expatriate
Angola

Re: Recommended MOVIES

Post by Darkcel »

Has anyone said Dune 2021 yet? Absolutely a masterpiece all around
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

more serious films for real film watchers... both are high-impact but personally The Beasts i found especially challenging, not because it's grotesque or anything but just because every scene is so uncomfortable. Quite brilliant, if you're into that kind of thing, highly intense, realistic social drama. but yeah it's a slowburner with long shots, scenery, and social commentary. not for everyone but those who do like it will probably like it a lot

siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

CatBurglar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by CatBurglar »

siliconlife wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 4:30 pm
This is a fantastic movie. Was going to recommend it before I saw it already here. Loved the serial killer story and the ardent female journalist who caught him. Many levels up from the average Hollywood garbage.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

I stream via Netflix etc - can’t find Holy Spider on any of the ones I usually use.a shame
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

siliconlife wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:27 am more serious films for real film watchers... both are high-impact but personally The Beasts i found especially challenging, not because it's grotesque or anything but just because every scene is so uncomfortable. Quite brilliant, if you're into that kind of thing, highly intense, realistic social drama. but yeah it's a slowburner with long shots, scenery, and social commentary. not for everyone but those who do like it will probably like it a lot

Seen "Wolf Greek" that's enough for me. To much reality for me, don't need to watch anymore thanks
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

atst wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:35 pm Seen "Wolf Greek" that's enough for me. To much reality for me, don't need to watch anymore thanks
None of these films compare to Wolf Creek. The Beasts is not violent or sensationalist in that way, it's mainly just extremely tense and uncomfortable. It's about class/cultural tensions, not murder. The Innocents is not realistic at all, it's more like a grim moral fairy tale. But yeah very dark and scary. Once again these films are not for everyone, but for those who like quality film-making and complicated themes, they are excellent.

Avoid the other one I recommended, Holy Spider, as well, as it is quite graphic. Although once again, a far better-made and less exploitational film than Wolf Creek with much deeper themes. It uses the true story of a devout, misogynistic serial killer to reveal the difficult position of women in Iranian society.

Edit: By the way, I also call film of the year on Holy Spider.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Plot: Older guy with a young girl..albeit she's 16 yrs old and still at school and he's a conman already married :shock:

Nevertheless, good watch I thought. Love the period visuals and music.

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

really enjoyed this

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

looks like fun: downloading now

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic