Recommended MOVIES

Streaming video, book reviews, movie requests and more.
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Recommended MOVIES

Post by Ravensnest »

violet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm I just watched Escape from Pretoria. based on true events in S. Africa pre-Mendela. it's a great movie.
siliconlife wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 pm

Loved The VVitch and loved this one two. Great drinking film, and great psychological/psychedelic thriller, probably unlike any other. Isolation, insanity, misguided love, and getting wasted on kerosene.
I'm going to watch the lighthouse flick tomorrow. :popcorn:
I can't get in the mood to try watching this one.

Has anyone seen "The Platform" yet? my God, it is disturbing!
is the platform comparable to those human centipede movies? If so, I'll skip it.
Not at all. It was certainly created with outside of the box thinking. Watch the trailer.

The lighthouse movie may be the worst flick I have ever seen. I cant believe the cast they talked into doing it.
Still here, in country...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

why must my list of good tv show DELETED>
yea,i know not movies,,, but come on>>>>>>
surely it was relevant to be inside with nothing to do and time on ur hands
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:40 pm why must my list of good tv show DELETED>
yea,i know not movies,,, but come on>>>>>>
surely it was relevant to be inside with nothing to do and time on ur hands
Not deleted PR, moved to dedicated TV show topic here post408091.html#p408091 If you look through your previous posts, you'll see the post there and select 'jump to post' to see where it is.
violet
Expatriate

Post by violet »

Ravensnest wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:42 pm
violet wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:30 pm
Ravensnest wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:38 pm I just watched Escape from Pretoria. based on true events in S. Africa pre-Mendela. it's a great movie.
siliconlife wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:10 pm

Loved The VVitch and loved this one two. Great drinking film, and great psychological/psychedelic thriller, probably unlike any other. Isolation, insanity, misguided love, and getting wasted on kerosene.
I'm going to watch the lighthouse flick tomorrow. :popcorn:
I can't get in the mood to try watching this one.

Has anyone seen "The Platform" yet? my God, it is disturbing!
is the platform comparable to those human centipede movies? If so, I'll skip it.
Not at all. It was certainly created with outside of the box thinking. Watch the trailer.

The lighthouse movie may be the worst flick I have ever seen. I cant believe the cast they talked into doing it.
I didn't want to watch the trailer for risk of being caught out with scenes I wouldn't appreciate. I'll watch it on your recommendation .... .
Despite what angsta states, it’s clear from reading through his posts that angsta supports the free FreePalestine movement.
siliconlife
Expatriate
Palau Island

Post by siliconlife »

Hilarious and disturbing. I recommend.
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

Sir Stephen
Expatriate
France

Post by Sir Stephen »

Myself, I like the 'Story of O' a lot :ROFL:

BklynBoy
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BklynBoy »

Anyone ever see the movie Saint Jack?

It's in Singapore but reminds me of some of the grittiness of cambodia
The Counter-Imperialist: Reflections on Bogdanovich’s Saint Jack (1979) by a Singaporean

However, when we consider Jack’s general position in Singapore society – that of the survivor, rather than the conqueror; the negotiator, rather than the hawk – thankfully, we are relieved of the unfair assumption that under the trademark Batik shirt lies an unapologetic imperialist. Jack, a proud member of the camp that frequents Bugis Street (along with transvestites, hookers, and any mixture of the two) and who is besieged by both the triads and the police, is as much a part of Singapore as the transvestites themselves: the some say “unsavoury,” some say “real” part of Singapore that, today, has been lost to the crushing mouth of history. Jack is an immigrant. An immigrant who has found a living in Singapore, a country that, as Bogdanovich duly points out in the trailer, is like an “Eastern America” in that it is both a land of immigrants and a beautiful cacophony of ethnicities (if we discount the troubling neo-supremacist movement brewing in the US today).

What enables such observations to be made is the compromising position of Jack Flowers (and, to an extent, Theroux himself) as the white man who happens to be living (and not vacationing) amongst locals; the white man who, at once, employs and is employed by locals and who doesn’t spend most of his time with other white folk in a gated compound in the outskirts of the city.

review

https://brightlightsfilm.com/counter-im ... q3XI6hKiM-
Manhattan keeps on making it, Brooklyn keeps on taking it
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

best foreign language film you've watched recently

Post by fazur »

remarkable film

phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: best foreign language film you've watched recently

Post by phuketrichard »

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic