Expats in Thailand lead charge to change immigration rules

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
The Seawolf
BANNED
Vietnam

Re: Expats in Thailand lead charge to change immigration rules

Post by The Seawolf »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:22 pm
The Seawolf wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:34 am
phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:06 am
The Seawolf wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:13 am I got banged up in the IDC in Bangkok for 6 weeks after spending a month in prison for a 1 week overstay on my visa last year. The conditions were horrendous. I don't even know what I was doing there as I don't like Thailand anyway.
did ya earn ur lesson?
DONT OVERSTAY :stir:
not exactly rocket science>>>
assume you were broke as otherwise you could have brought a ticket out of Thailand and left
as opposed to you, I really love my time in Thailand :beer3:
I had a bad reaction to some medication I was on and became confused. They banged me up. British Embassy were very good and got me out of there. Some poor guys had been in for 2 years
I would love to hear the full story from you. Obviously, your confused behaviour attracted Immigration to you. How long had you been in this state? If you hadn t been picked up by immigration, how long do you think you would have continued in this confused state? They didn t allow you to pay the 3500 baht fine and leave? You are fortunate to be caught so quickly if you were that confused as to where you were and if you had a right to be there, it would have been easy for someone to take advantage of you. I have read stories about confused farang picked up by ladyboy gangs and taken to parties where they are passed around like rag dolls. Immigration police may have well saved your dignity if not your life.
I don't really want to go into the details. I was flying from Chiang Mai to Bangkok (to then fly home) in a very confused state and got picked up at Bangkok Airport. I cant remember what happened either - one minute I was in Chiang Mai, the next I was in a police cell in Bangkok. It was related to the medication I was taking and stopping them abruptly. Whilst in custody my visa expired so they charged me with overstay and put me in the IDC where I stayed for about a month until I was located by the British authorities and deported back to Blighty.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

sigmoid
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by sigmoid »

Those of us who have departed look on with bemusement.

Those who remain will be caught flat-footed as the gradual transition continues.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
I may be going to hell in a bucket,
but at least I'm enjoying the ride.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I went into immigration yesterday for the new re-reporting of my 800k retirement bank balance 3 months after getting my 1 year visa, didn't need a queue ticket from the front desk as no-one was waiting, gave the lady my 5 photocopy pages which she looked at and said with smile " Thank you, see you next year". A 2 minute exercise

A
t least I don't have to concern myself with the exchange rate for another 7 months.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
simon43
Expatriate
Laos

Post by simon43 »

sigmoid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am Those of us who have departed look on with bemusement.

Those who remain will be caught flat-footed as the gradual transition continues.
Yep me too. I will finally leave Thailand next Wednesday, after 19 years in the country... :)
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

simon43 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:31 am
sigmoid wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:03 am Those of us who have departed look on with bemusement.

Yep me too. I will finally leave Thailand next Wednesday, after 19 years in the country... :)
You heading home or to KOW
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic