Students speak English quicker working in a restaurant with foreign customers

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Students speak English quicker working in a restaurant with foreign customers

Post by explorer »

I know some Cambodian students who have been learning English for 4 or 5 years, and cant even have a simple conversation in English.

I know some students who work part time in a restaurant with a lot of foreign customers. These students are speaking more English quicker. They are in a situation where they have to speak English, which results in learning much faster.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Sidewalker
Expatriate
Netherlands

Re: Students speak English quicker working in a restaurant with foreign customers

Post by Sidewalker »

Really?
There are people who cannot imagine that there are other ways of life than their own life. :facepalm:
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Re: Students speak English quicker working in a restaurant with foreign customers

Post by Barang chgout »

Sidewalker wrote:Really?
Nah, he's just having a lend of you.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

explorer wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:14 pm I know some Cambodian students who have been learning English for 4 or 5 years, and cant even have a simple conversation in English.

I know some students who work part time in a restaurant with a lot of foreign customers. These students are speaking more English quicker. They are in a situation where they have to speak English, which results in learning much faster.
I am having trouble grasping this.... how is it possible to learn English faster without studying?
Please explain how they do this.
rozzieoz
Expatriate
Australia

Post by rozzieoz »

What’s your point Explorer?
Of course people are going to learn to speak a language faster if they have to speak it.

[Admin Edit: Cleaned a few of these posts up, and no need to attack other members.]
Once you've read the dictionary, every other book is just a remix.
bob.fortin
BANNED

Post by bob.fortin »

Obviously
Anthony's Weiner
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Anthony's Weiner »

I agree completely, I read many books about driving a car, I watched movies about driving a car, I even used to sing the wheels on the bus go round and round, but until I actually drove a car, I really was just wasting my time. Now I can drive a car!!
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Anthony's Weiner wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:19 am I agree completely, I read many books about driving a car, I watched movies about driving a car, I even used to sing the wheels on the bus go round and round, but until I actually drove a car, I really was just wasting my time. Now I can drive a car!!
I take it Days Of Thunder is your life story.
reggie perrin's dad
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by reggie perrin's dad »

Oh christ, here I go... I never thought I'd be stepping in to defend him but possibly, explorer has a point. I am on occasion appalled at what passes for English instruction and how little speaking practice students are given. In most cases people learn languages in order to be able communicate and plenty who could ace a grammar test are flummoxed when asked to explain something as simple as a recent absence, then unable to expand much beyond 'I go wedding brother', when the penny has dropped.

If I was paying for my kids to study English for years, I'd be pretty pissed off if that was their level of communication after multiple courses.
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

I taught English in a Thai school for eight years. Most experienced (more than 2 years) bar girls in Pattaya and Ban Chang spoke better English than the Thai English Teachers. I doubt if Cambodia is any different.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic