Products and various flavors

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Products and various flavors

Post by Ravensnest »

Hey all. I'm sincerely asking because I do not know. I'm from the US and I have noticed a few products taste a little different. Ketchup and milk prominently. I assumed those would taste pretty much the same worldwide, well the ketchup anyhow

Can someone explain why pls?
Still here, in country...
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Products and various flavors

Post by Spigzy »

They are definitely different, even between the UK and USA - Americans need much more sugar with everything seemed to be the simply fact adopted by most companies from Heinz, through to Coca-Cola. #TrueStory

It is completely unrelated to obesity though, you get fat by eating too much salt & bacon ... #NotSoTrueUncleSam :stir:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:13 pm Hey all. I'm sincerely asking because I do not know. I'm from the US and I have noticed a few products taste a little different. Ketchup and milk prominently. I assumed those would taste pretty much the same worldwide, well the ketchup anyhow

When it comes to the taste of milk it will change as to what the cows eat so milk from different countries, different regions, will have a different taste. Also there's a big difference between ''low fat '' and whole milk which has the cream in it.

The same situation goes with any tomato sauce. Different types of tomatoes, different countries, different types of soil or hydroponic tomatoes grown indoors.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

Spigzy wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:49 pm They are definitely different, even between the UK and USA - Americans need much more sugar with everything seemed to be the simply fact adopted by most companies from Heinz, through to Coca-Cola. #TrueStory

It is completely unrelated to obesity though, you get fat by eating too much salt & bacon ... #NotSoTrueUncleSam :stir:

Americans need much more sugar with everything?
I do not think that anybody in the world wants food or drunks more sweet than in Kow or Thailand...
Maybe only south america also.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

https://www.beveragedaily.com/Article/2 ... =copyright

Can’t find the Coca-Cola link, but it is definitely a thing...
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

That's one thing I've never fully liked here: milk. Even the fresh stuff from Thailand tastes pretty awful. I still drink quite a bit of it, but it always tastes so much better back home. I think it's partly just because I grew up on a certain type of milk. I remember having UHT milk as a kid visiting Europe and thinking it tasted like shit as well (I think it's still pretty much unheard of where I'm from).
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Scotsmarc
Tourist
Ireland

Post by Scotsmarc »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:13 pm Hey all. I'm sincerely asking because I do not know. I'm from the US and I have noticed a few products taste a little different. Ketchup and milk prominently. I assumed those would taste pretty much the same worldwide, well the ketchup anyhow

Most products have regional variances. This is due to tastes differing all over the world. Coke has at least 6 different recipes just for Europe!
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 pm That's one thing I've never fully liked here: milk. Even the fresh stuff from Thailand tastes pretty awful. I still drink quite a bit of it, but it always tastes so much better back home. I think it's partly just because I grew up on a certain type of milk. I remember having UHT milk as a kid visiting Europe and thinking it tasted like shit as well (I think it's still pretty much unheard of where I'm from).

Just drink blue diamond almond milk from US, it's a lot better and won't hurt any animal :-)
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

Ravensnest wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:13 pm I assumed those would taste pretty much the same worldwide, well the ketchup anyhow
Good reasons, thanks for responses. I realize the cows graze on different grasses, that's why I made the little statement about the ketchup. I've tried the few different brands here, do they all come from the same region? I do not know how to explain the difference in the milk. Are they pasteurized differently than the US process? Does the FDA require a certain procedure, that's probably useless, that other countries do not do?

The milk that I buy here seems to keep a lot longer than in the US and I wonder if that has something to do with their processing technique and slight taste difference?

I actually feel as though the ketchup here is sweeter and has more of a chili spice going on too.

:beer3:
jrjrjr wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:24 am Just drink blue diamond almond milk from US, it's a lot better and won't hurt any animal :-)
I have not seen that brand but I'll look for it.
Still here, in country...
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:06 pm That's one thing I've never fully liked here: milk. Even the fresh stuff from Thailand tastes pretty awful. I still drink quite a bit of it, but it always tastes so much better back home. I think it's partly just because I grew up on a certain type of milk. I remember having UHT milk as a kid visiting Europe and thinking it tasted like shit as well (I think it's still pretty much unheard of where I'm from).
I drink lots of milk an love cereal,
formost works fine for me, taste just like back home :thumb:
Dont care for Meiji at all

traveling long distances by boat the uht is a godsend
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic