A Genuine Collector at Heart

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

A Genuine Collector at Heart

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Still crazy after all these years, Peng Heng tells his story on life passion. GT2/Taing Rinith

Taing Rinith
July 12 2018

Peng Heng says many foreigners have made him offers, amounting to hundreds of thousands of dollars, but he always refused to part with them.

"From outside, the Museum Café, located in the middle of Street 124 and opened in 2017, looks no different from thousands of other coffee shops in Phnom Penh. Yet, the first few steps into the modest-sized room gives visitors the same feeling of entering a historical museum and for the elders, a nostalgic trip back to their childhood."

“That museum displayed so many vintage items,” he says. “Then I found out that there were museums like these around the world, except Cambodia. And then I asked myself, ‘why shouldn’t I start the first one here"

"Some visible rare articles include a Leica III (1936) DRP Ernst Leitz Wetzlar Camera, several ship telescopes or spy-glasses used by Norwegian and British captains in the 1700s and 1800s and an Edison Standard Phonograph with all accessories."

"Peng Heng claims that the car, which was bought from Steung Treng, used to belong to Sin Sisamut, the most beloved Khmer singer of all time whose velvet voice and lyrics earned him the nickname “Golden-Voiced Emperor”.

"Museum Cafe is located on Street 124, near Russian Federation Blvd. It is open from 7am-9pm. Tel: 085 711 979."

Full https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50623352/a ... -at-heart/
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: A Genuine Collector at Heart

Post by Brody »

Man, this is great. I love historical tchotchkes.

I'll be heading out to have a look soon.
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Idk man, he says the place is haunted.

“I believe in spiritualism, and I have felt that I have been connected to the spirits of the owners of things I bought,” he says, adding he always gets goose bumps whenever he talks about the spirits.

“Occasionally, I hear their voices and I sometimes am witness to the paranormal, such as the phonograph playing by itself and a broken clock working for a while.”

:?
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

A broken clock correct once a day, for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

whatwat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:00 pm A broken clock correct once a day, for a while.

I thought it was correct twice a day.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

Username Taken wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:41 pm
whatwat wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:00 pm A broken clock correct once a day, for a while.
I think you're right, but the post probably was made thinking that many others might not make it through the full day without being run over by a Range Rover en-route, quite a fair guess? :hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Username Taken wrote:

24 hour clock.

Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

This place looks really interesting. I will, for sure, be visiting the next time in PP.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Headed out there the other day.

It's a pretty cool little place. Not a bad spot to while away a lazy afternoon with an iced coffee.

Thanks @Kung-fu Hillbilly
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Brody wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:50 pm Headed out there the other day.

It's a pretty cool little place. Not a bad spot to while away a lazy afternoon with an iced coffee.

Thanks @Kung-fu Hillbilly
Great. I'm as happy for Mr Heng as for you. Was the good store keeper in to have a chat with?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic