Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

Post by talltuktuk »

I’m a natural born USC. I met someone in Cambodia and am interested in bringing him to the US on a fiancé visa. We are both male, I’m 38 and he’s 20. I’m here looking only for immigration advice, not personal opinions or judgments about our relationship.

When we first met, I was turned off by the age gap. It wasn’t supposed to be serious but has grown into a great, stable, and fulfilling relationship for both of us. There is a large age gap, but because of the cultural difference, not a large maturity gap. He’s far more mature than anyone I’ve dated before, even those closer to my age. Being from Cambodia, it’s difficult for him to immigrate anywhere. I’m looking into the possibility of the fiancé visa, as we can legally get married in the US. I’ve been to Cambodia 3 times in the last year. The 3rd and most recent time(Feb), I decided to live here for a year. We live together, spend time together, and share friends together, much like any other relationship. He’s successful and doesn’t get any money from me. We split all the bills and share all expenses equally. I say all of this to say that it’s a normal, healthy, functioning relationship. Next year I have to decide whether to go back to the US or continue staying here. We would both like to live in the US. I sold everything and have been traveling for the last year - I do not have a job waiting for me in the US but based on my qualifications, it will be super easy to get one the week I land. I have savings that will cover each of us above and beyond the Poverty Guideline requirement. He’s healthy with no criminal record or visa issues.

What is my best course of action here and how long should I expect this to take? Do I need to hire an immigration lawyer? Any hiccups/issues I should be especially aware of? Is the age gap going to cause problems? I appreciate any insight from anyone who’s dealt with this.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Re: Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

Post by logos »

If it were a girl I'd say your chances would be near zero.
With a male ... probably even less.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

logos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 pm If it were a girl I'd say your chances would be near zero.
Can you elaborate as to why?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i'd say

forget it,
1.Your not employed
2. Many states still don't allow same sex marriage
3. age gap

need i go on
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:26 pm i'd say

forget it,
1.Your not employed
2. Many states still don't allow same sex marriage
3. age gap
1. I understand this part.
2. All 50 states have same sex marriage, circa 2015.
3. I’ve heard conflicting arguments on both sides of this one. I’ve read many articles written by immigration lawyers that state that it is not an automatic disqualification but will garner more scrutiny. It’s the only abnormal part of our relationship so I’m not worried about more scrutiny - there’s nothing shady here.
need i go on
I can’t read your mind and I’m here asking for advice, so if you have more insight, please do.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

talltuktuk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:07 pm
logos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 pm If it were a girl I'd say your chances would be near zero.
Can you elaborate as to why?
If I had to guess, I'd say the poster was pointing out how difficult it already would be to bring a female partner (near zero). Add to the mix that the partner is male and 18 years younger than you will probably give you equal (if not less) of a chance.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_ ... s_by_state

agree with Logos; its hard enough to get a Khmer female 18 years younger than you in on a fiancé visa.
and would be even harder if they were only 20 years old

Will ur parents cosign a paper accepting responsibility for him?
Does he have a legit job?

so many hurdles

anyway,good luck
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_ ... s_by_state

agree with Logos; its hard enough to get a Khmer female 18 years younger than you in on a fiancé visa.

so many hurdles

anyway,good luck

Thanks for the clarification. I totally understand the government’s stance on this. And in most cases, I would support it. Lots of shady people doing shady things. This just isn’t one of them.

My parents are dead but I have a close aunt that could co-sign.
BF is educated and has a good job here, but won’t legally be allowed to work in the US until green card. Will be able to find a good job as soon as he’s allowed.
I agree, lots of hurdles and little chance.
Thanks for the insight.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm

so many hurdles

anyway,good luck

Yerg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say the poster was pointing out how difficult it already would be to bring a female partner (near zero). Add to the mix that the partner is male and 18 years younger than you will probably give you equal (if not less) of a chance.

I think everyone saying the chances are "near zero" is a total idiot. He's talking about a fiancee visa, not a tourist visa. It doesn't matter if the 20 year old has a job. All that matters is whether he can show to the consular officers that they are in a genuine, loving relationship.

The consular officers aren't going to bat an eye at an 18 year age gap. That's nothing in this part of the world. Most of the fraud they are on the lookout for is Khmer-Americans marrying Khmers in sham relationships where money is changing hands.

His chances aren't lower because he's gay. If anything they are higher, because the consular officers won't want to be accused of being homophobic.

By the way, I think the OP is a total idiot too for saying a 20 year old Cambodian kid is far more mature than anyone he has ever dated before.

This relationship is likely doomed but the consular officers don't reject fiance visa applications for stupidity, they reject them for fraud, and this guy should have little trouble showing them this is a genuine non-fraudulent relationship, unless there are are some other negative facts he's not disclosing to us.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

talltuktuk wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:28 pm
I agree, lots of hurdles and little chance.
Thanks for the insight.
The hurdles are low, man. You just have to prove that (a) it's a genuine relationship and you're both totally gay for each other, and (b) you or a co-sponsor can financially support him. It's really fucking easy.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic