Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

Post by phuketrichard »

Maybe he’s the one, maybe he’s not. Time will tell. There is no roadmap for relationships.
if ur not sure, that he is the one, why are you going to marry?
yea, shit can happen but when ur planning on this you should be sure, at this point in time, he is the one.
not to knock ya but, he is only 20 years old, and i would say the same thing if he was a female

You do know that this will take months ( 8 months++)to arrange?
PS< I went this route way back in 1987 and it was a lot easier than

I am sure you have seen these,
https://kh.usembassy.gov/visas/immigran ... interview/
https://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us ... tizen.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

You don’t need a lawyer, waste of money.

Given you have a legitimate relationship I would say your odds of success are 95%, however, you need to sort out the financial side or have a co-sponsor. Plenty of people have a family member act as co- sponsor if they don’t meet the income requirements.

I went through this process and it took 9 months before my wife entered USA after I submitted the paperwork. I think it’s taking less time nowadays.

You should join www.visajourney.com - plenty of straight and gay couples and also some with age gaps.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

-> Printed chat/call logs from messenger. I picked a few months, no need for years of chats.
->Timeline of our relationship I made in excel with each milestone labeled A to Z (A is when we met, B is first vacation, C met parents, D engaged, etc..).
->Photos or evidence labeled A to Z that matched with the timeline above. (I.e. For vacation labeled B -> photos and hotel receipts).
->Signed and notarized Affidavits from 2 USA citizens (my parents) confirming knowledge of our relationship and engagement.
->Life insurance listing her as partial beneficiary.
->Single letter dual authorized by both of us confirming our engagement and intent to marry.
-> copies of my Cambodia visas and flight itineraries

That’s all I recall for now
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:32 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm
agree with Logos; its hard enough to get a Khmer female 18 years younger than you in on a fiancé visa.
and would be even harder if they were only 20 years old

Will ur parents cosign a paper accepting responsibility for him?
Does he have a legit job?

so many hurdles

anyway,good luck
logos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:51 pm If it were a girl I'd say your chances would be near zero.
With a male ... probably even less.

Yerg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:54 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say the poster was pointing out how difficult it already would be to bring a female partner (near zero). Add to the mix that the partner is male and 18 years younger than you will probably give you equal (if not less) of a chance.

I think everyone saying the chances are "near zero" is a total idiot. He's talking about a fiancee visa, not a tourist visa. It doesn't matter if the 20 year old has a job. All that matters is whether he can show to the consular officers that they are in a genuine, loving relationship.

The consular officers aren't going to bat an eye at an 18 year age gap. That's nothing in this part of the world. Most of the fraud they are on the lookout for is Khmer-Americans marrying Khmers in sham relationships where money is changing hands.

His chances aren't lower because he's gay. If anything they are higher, because the consular officers won't want to be accused of being homophobic.

By the way, I think the OP is a total idiot too for saying a 20 year old Cambodian kid is far more mature than anyone he has ever dated before.

This relationship is likely doomed but the consular officers don't reject fiance visa applications for stupidity, they reject them for fraud, and this guy should have little trouble showing them this is a genuine non-fraudulent relationship, unless there are are some other negative facts he's not disclosing to us.
I think anyone quoting me as saying the chances were zero is potentially also a "total idiot". All I did was to try and elaborate on what logos said, per the request of the OP. I'm not even American, so far less placed to comment on US immigration standards. I'd have thought my Union Flag icon might have made that clear. I also balanced my comment by removing the 'less of a chance' element, so as to eradicate any potential for accusations of homophobia.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

GMJS-CEO wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:33 pm You don’t need a lawyer, waste of money.

Given you have a legitimate relationship I would say your odds of success are 95%, however, you need to sort out the financial side or have a co-sponsor. Plenty of people have a family member act as co- sponsor if they don’t meet the income requirements.

I went through this process and it took 9 months before my wife entered USA after I submitted the paperwork. I think it’s taking less time nowadays.

You should join www.visajourney.com - plenty of straight and gay couples and also some with age gaps.
I presume you are US citizen? I wish it was this easy for the UK!!!!
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Yerg wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:39 pm
GMJS-CEO wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:33 pm You don’t need a lawyer, waste of money.

I presume you are US citizen? I wish it was this easy for the UK!!!!
It's tedious in terms of paperwork, nothing about the process is that complicated though. And with a resource like visajourney & a number of facebook groups it is easy to get clarification on the process.

https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide/
https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1flow/
https://www.visajourney.com/content/k1historical/
oldfatbarang
Expatriate

Post by oldfatbarang »

You will be required to show proof of income to sponsor a Cambodian for a fiancée visa.My wife is Cambodian.Her niece was engaged to an American soldier.He sent all of the required documents to include photos of him and her together in Cambodia and proof of income.She received a letter telling her that her fiancée visa was approved.She later received a letter telling her of an appointment at the U.S. embassy for an interview.While she was being interviewed the INS officer who interviewed her asked to speak to her fiancée.She told the him that her fiancée was unable to take another leave from the military to appear at her interview.The INS officer denied her visa and told her to reapply and to bring her fiancée to the next interview.She had gone through a ten month process to get the interview.The immiration officer who denied her visa said that he felt that she was being trafficked.Her fiancée provided copies of his military pay vouchers and had provided plenty of documentation to prove that he is who he said that he is to include copies of his military I.D. and his passport.Who knows what it really requires to obtain a fiancée visa.My niece provided every document that was required.She is not a sex worker and does not look or act like a sex worker.I recall back in the late 80's in Thailand it was very difficult for young females to get a visa to travel to America but quite easy for gay men.So it may be the same in Cambodia.However you will eed to return to the states and get a job to provide proof of income to sponsor a Cambodian.When I applied for my wife's visa to go to America I would have done in in Cambodia but was asked for a huge bribe at the ministry of foreign affairs and decided to take her to Thailand and avoid dealing with really greedy officials in Cambdia.I had been married to my wife for a few years.We went to Bangkok and got her a tourist visa in 4 days and after arriving in America we applied for a change of status for her.My wife and had traveled to several countries together for my work prior to going to Ameirca and the visa stamps in her passport as well as a marriage certificate seemed to satisfy the immigration officers at the U.S. embassy in Bangkok and we had no problem getting her a tourist visa.I do not know if it still works but back in the late 80s I know that some of the guys who worked in the oil fields used to take their Thai girlfriends to Jakarta to the U.S. embassy to get a tourist visa for them.
GMJS-CEO
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by GMJS-CEO »

Tourist visa my fiancé was rejected twice. Having an American fiancé didn’t help, they think we’re just going to stay in USA and skip the k1 visa wait.
elite87
Expatriate
Indonesia

Post by elite87 »

why you not try to take him first as tourist ?
after that you can married in US ,and pullback his citizen
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I’m in the process now with missus. Process is estimated at 11-17 months. Per immigration website, don’t bother them if you hear nothing from them less than 14 months.

Hired a lawyer. So far all I have got is a message that the application has been received. Of course, per lawyer’s advice and guidance, I sent a thick folder of evidence along with the application. Proof of relationship for last 2 years plus marriage, proof of income over the required limit, proof of work, proof of missus professional status (ie, she could get a job on arrival if need be), affidavits, letters of recommendation, etc.

Maybe immigration is still processing the kitchen sink I sent them.

K1 Visa is a little more difficult to get than a spousal visa. Why not just marry him and submit a spousal visa instead?

The wait ... is tough on both of us. But should be well worth it in the end.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic