Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Re: Fiancé Visa for Cambodian > US

Post by Cam Nivag »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:04 pm https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_ ... s_by_state

agree with Logos; its hard enough to get a Khmer female 18 years younger than you in on a fiancé visa.
and would be even harder if they were only 20 years old
You can believe Logos and phuketrichard or you can believe, you know, people who actually know what they are talking about:

https://rapidvisa.com/much-age-differen ... ance-visa/
Pedroviera
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Pedroviera »

Op go to "visa journey" website. Recent info many successful detailed usa/Cambodia k1 couple visa stories instructions, ect... If you want more info/help/ect look at "rapid visa" agency outta USA.... "Visa journey" shares input how to file k1 yourself... "Rapid visa" agency maybe most experienced k1 agent in USA and cheapest if you decide to go that route and pay for help/paperwork
logos
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by logos »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:32 pm
I think everyone saying the chances are "near zero" is a total idiot. (...)

By the way, I think the OP is a total idiot too for saying a 20 year old Cambodian kid is far more mature than anyone he has ever dated before.

This relationship is likely doomed but the consular officers don't reject fiance visa applications for stupidity
Let's see if I got this right:
OP = total idiot
All other posters = total idiots
Relationship = doomed
Cam nivag = shining light, excellent judge of character with years of successful relationships and multiple visa experiences.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

His chances aren't lower because he's gay. If anything they are higher, because the consular officers won't want to be accused of being homophobic.
---------
Very true.

As I see it the only hurdle is that you cannot show ongoing ability to be above the 125% poverty threshold. I don't believe an Aunt will qualify as immediate family to sign an affidative for support. To be solid, you'll need to go back to the USA and get a job and then apply.

Be sure that you can document the relationship through photos and other documents like co-signed lease, travel together, photos etc.

I believe a US based immigration lawyer will cost you $3-5K if you don't want to handle it yourself. But I'm told it does NOT increase your chances of approval.

Just be aware that on a fiance visa you only have 90 days to be legally married. IF not, then the visa becomes invalid and he'll have to leave (prior to the 90 days if he doesn't want to be considered an overstay). So if thats the route you choose to go then better be sure!

Just as an aside - give serious consideration to what he will do in the USA also prior to applying. I've seen lots of adults struggle to adapt to new countries - even with much financial support being available.

Good Luck
Cam Nivag
BANNED
Sao Tome & Principe

Post by Cam Nivag »

logos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 pm

By the way, I think the OP is a total idiot too for saying a 20 year old Cambodian kid is far more mature than anyone he has ever dated before.

This relationship is likely doomed but the consular officers don't reject fiance visa applications for stupidity
OP = total idiot
Relationship = doomed
Cam nivag = shining light, excellent judge of character with years of successful relationships and multiple visa experiences.
Yes that’s about right. I just don’t know why you’re trying to cockblock the guy with this nonsense about the fiancé visa being hard to get. You’re not American, you have no idea how the process works, and you had no problem importing your own 30 years younger Cambodian partner to your own rodent and chocolate infested shithole country.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Cam Nivag wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:44 pm
logos wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 7:28 pm

OP = total idiot
Relationship = doomed
Yes that’s about right. I just don’t know why you’re trying to cockblock the guy with this nonsense about the fiancé visa being hard to get. You’re not American, you have no idea how the process works, and you had no problem importing your own 30 years younger Cambodian partner to your own rodent and chocolate infested shithole country.
Calling other members total idiots and using insulting language is not welcome here. There's no need for that to get your alternative view/corrective/additional information as it may apply across. Take some time off.
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

the only barrier is 125% of poverty level income.
as others mention, they will want evidence of a genuine reltionship.
FB correspondence and photos together with dates can show this.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

I don’t really need to justify or explain my dating history to you but I will say many American guys are annoying, immature, emotionally needy, and late to develop emotional maturity. My relationship history is (by my own choice) limited specifically because of this. I don’t have the time or desire to get serious with these type of guys. The guy I met here breaks the mold and I’m honestly surprised I met someone like this. Maybe he’s the one, maybe he’s not. Time will tell. There is no roadmap for relationships.
This relationship is likely doomed but the consular officers don't reject fiance visa applications for stupidity, they reject them for fraud, and this guy should have little trouble showing them this is a genuine non-fraudulent relationship, unless there are are some other negative facts he's not disclosing to us.
You’re sending mixed messages with this statement and I honestly can’t determine if you’re just unclear or being sarcastic. Either way, there are no other negative facts. The biggest negatives I’m hearing are 1 - I don’t have a job in the US, and 2 - the age gap. This relationship is really straightforward and neither of us have any surprise issues that will pop up and burn everything to the ground.

Thanks for your feedback.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:36 pm the only barrier is 125% of poverty level income.
A joint bank account is good to show. And even letters or emails addressed to you both. Photos of you together with dates are also good. No detail is too small to show that you are genuinely together in a longterm relationship. I've done this before for a defacto relationship, but not for the US.
With the new Trump anti-immigration strategy, all this might be for nothing, but good luck anyway OP.
talltuktuk
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by talltuktuk »

frank lee bent wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:36 pm the only barrier is 125% of poverty level income.
I have savings to cover this. I do not have a job currently (took a year off to travel) but will have one within a week of landing in the US. Would a letter from an employer help in this case? It’s something I can get.

Until a few weeks ago, I never used FB. I hate it everything about it. I finally caved and got one because it’s the only way people communicate in this part of the world. I have to use it to tie into the expat community. That being said, I have every text message and Instagram message we’ve ever exchanged, including all the way back to the first day we met. I have pics of us together both here and in other countries that we’ve traveled to. I have pics of our friend group together. None of them are date stamped (because who does that under normal circumstances) but the EXIF data shows dates and times. I’ve read a lot of stories of much less documented/legit fiancé visas getting approved so it gives me confidence. But again, I know it’s totally up to whoever reviews my app.
Cambodia: where money can buy you absolutely anything except intelligence.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic