Interesting video on "new" type of beggers in other parts of the world.

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Interesting video on "new" type of beggers in other parts of the world.

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Thought others might find this interesting...

One of the bloggers I follow on Youtube is Serpentza. His stuff is China oriented, however I see a lot of stuff that carries over into how things are in Cambodia (compared to the west).

I have a funny story about meeting SerpentZa, if anyone is interested just ask.

-Now for the meat of this post-
For a change on the Foreign beggers in Cambodia, I leave this Youtube link.

Chinese begging in other countries now.......

Bueller>Backpacker>Begger ?? :)
What, Me worry?
cptrelentless
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: Interesting video on "new" type of beggers in other parts of the world.

Post by cptrelentless »

So what is your interesting story?
Kampuchia Crumbs
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kampuchia Crumbs »

Note: I was not able to edit my original post.... here is the Video location if you want to cut and paste....
[www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=rgsFtUmKXuY]

cptrelentless wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:41 am So what is your interesting story?
I've watched his videos for a while. As does my wife.

If anyone watches his videos they know that he ALWAYS wears a suit and tie. When I was in Cambodia last year I made it a point to dress better (no shorts,t-shirts etc) and I noticed a BIG change in how people interacted with me.

Anyway for the story. Last March we went out to eat (to celebrate my birthday). This is in Southern California.
When I pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant I saw a guy wearing a suit with his back turned towards us. It was sunny and somewhat warm, so this was a little unusual. I jokingly said "Hey look, there's Serpentza!. It was a JOKE. Next thing I hear from my son is "Holy Shit, it's him!"

I just about crapped my pants when he turned around and it WAS him! It was very surreal and funny. He was there with his wife to eat at the same place.

I asked him if he was ever to visit Cambodia (he had already visited Vietnam). He indicated it was a good possibility that sometime in the future it may happen.

It's funny, the longer I live, the more I find it's a small world.
Last edited by Kampuchia Crumbs on Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
What, Me worry?
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

He puts out a lot of interesting videos. When you watch them you realize Cambodian culture has a lot in common with Chinese culture.

Here is one about travelling, or having a holiday with a Chinese girl. In Western culture we go to the beach, or to the botanic gardens, for example, to relax and have fun. If you take a Chinese or Cambodian girl, it is about taking photos to post on facebook. They often dont want to stay long enough to have fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXm6vpdj5Co

There is another one, if you look for it, about how a Chinese girl will always love her mother more than she will love her husband.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Anyone that has walked along riverside would have seen the old little grey haired lady that sits with a bowl , she has been in the same spot for years. I have often sat on the seat near her and counted the small money that people give her and I estimate that she get about $5 an hour.
Sometimes much more when tourists donate.

[ Click here to donate to the Duncan Can Do fund .]
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

When I was in Cambodia last year I made it a point to dress different (no shorts,t-shirts etc) and I noticed a BIG change in how people interacted with me.
:beer3:

This guy noticed the same thing

BTW:
excellent video
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I met a foreigner who was a part owner of a successful business in Cambodia. She gave money to a beggar. She saw her again and gave to her again. The next time, she told the beggar she would give her a job. The beggar said she could make much more money begging.

Many beggars get money for the whole family. Some are part of begging gangs, and get money for their boss.

There have been cases here children have been intentionally crippled so they get more sympathy, and get more money.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Slightly off topic but related, I've watched quite a lot of Serpentza's videos. A lot of chinese don't like what he says (as can often be seen in the video comments) as they feel it portrays China and its people in a bad light. I imagine this video about Chinese beggars wouldn't go down well either. I've wondered...has he got into any trouble with the authorities at all for what he does? I would've thought what he's doing is pretty risky...after all, he lives there and has chinese wife..
Captain
BANNED
Afghanistan

Post by Captain »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 am Slightly off topic but related, I've watched quite a lot of Serpentza's videos. A lot of chinese don't like what he says (as can often be seen in the video comments) as they feel it portrays China and its people in a bad light. I imagine this video about Chinese beggars wouldn't go down well either. I've wondered...has he got into any trouble with the authorities at all for what he does? I would've thought what he's doing is pretty risky...after all, he lives there and has chinese wife..
Yes of course. He will eventually get caught and either imprisoned or deported. China is a country you don't want to F around with. Doubleplus ungood!
Cricket99
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by Cricket99 »

clutchcargo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:10 am Slightly off topic but related, I've watched quite a lot of Serpentza's videos. A lot of chinese don't like what he says (as can often be seen in the video comments) as they feel it portrays China and its people in a bad light. I imagine this video about Chinese beggars wouldn't go down well either. I've wondered...has he got into any trouble with the authorities at all for what he does? I would've thought what he's doing is pretty risky...after all, he lives there and has chinese wife..
Yes, he and his wife have both been threatened, he talks about it in this video.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic