Kampot to Host Sea Festival 2019

Have questions or resources regarding Khmer Culture? This forum is all about the Kingdom of Cambodia's culture. Khmer language, Cambodian weddings, French influence, Cambodian architecture, Cambodian politics, Khmer customs, etc? This is the place. Living in Cambodia can cause you to experience a whole new level of culture shock, so feel free to talk about all things related to the Khmer people, and their traditions. And if you want something in Khmer script translated into English, you will probably find what you need.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Re: Kampot to Host Sea Festival 2019

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

They're not going to get even a fraction of that. The #3 is still horrendous, so I can't imagine many Phnom Penhites heading down there. Probably a lot of locals from the neighbouring provinces, and obviously many from Kampot's surroundings.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
King Keil
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by King Keil »

Guess they mean 500000 in 3 days but would take these numbers with a grain of salt. Lady who has the restaurant downstairs is going with her family but she is from Kampot and takes the opportunity to visit relatives.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Photos of the Kampot Sea Festival 2019 last night, from Huy Bunleng facebook:
Everyone seems to be having a good time, but there are not the numbers of tourists that were expected/announced. Most of the 'tourists' are families from the countryside, and the atmosphere is that of a country fair.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
BR549
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by BR549 »

It reminds me of all the abandoned venues in Siem Reap I ride past and tell my wife...Look, someone lost a lot of money there.
Kampot has many decent places to eat already and plenty of street food areas.
This just hurts the local businesses that have put in years of sweat and love.
Plus, that location was a nice park near my house.
I wonder if all the street food places had to move to this new area?
What next?
Street food along the railroad tracks by the river bridge?
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote:Also useful are the police contact numbers for Kampot: 097 778 0010/077 778 0104.
It would be more useful if the Khmer police stop the usual catch and release of thieves and instead proactively detain and hold them until the festival is over.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

a lot busier on Saturday night compared to Friday walking around through much larger crowds slowed down by people constantly stopping to take photos of freinds as well as selfies. Riverside restaurants a bit quiter than usual- partly due I know to expats not wanting to navigate the heavy traffic and restictions so staying away
. Nearly every building or house in the area but not on a street with stalls were selling something...clothers, shoes, food you name it every one was trying to sell stuff out side their home... oddly Captin Chim closed early again and they are right in the middle of it... while the Fun Pizza across the street added a little bar for "Cocktail Street" Quite a lot of the mail food stalls in that area were run by restaurants that operate in other areas of town. The crowd all looked happy enough to be out enjoying it.
offroadscholar
Expatriate
Australia

Post by offroadscholar »

On the big stage inside the stadium there was some very impressive cultural dancing acts from Cambodia and Vietnam that I saw. I believe some other countries were represented too. More to come tonight.
HE made a couple of appearances on the stage.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Approximately 900,000 Visit Sea Festival in Kampot: Tourism Minister
25/12/19 07:49
Kampot (FN), Dec. 23 – Tourism Minister Thong Khon told Fresh News on Monday that about 900,000 local and international tourists visited the 8th Sea Festival in Kampot province for three days from 20-22 December 2019.

Minister Khon expressed his thanks to Prime Minister HE for attending the festival and delivered valuable recommendations.

According to the premier, Cambodia’s coastal tourism development envisions to make Sihanoukville become a center of the cluster of the Cambodia’s bays; Kep to become a high-end and luxury tourist destination; Kampot to become a tourist destination for cultural heritage and agro-tourism; and Koh Kong to become a tourist destination for eco-tourism.

Echoing the premier’s appeals, Tourism Minister Thong Khon urged governors of the four coastal provinces to be well prepared to host the 2nd round of the Club’s World Congress in 2022 in Cambodia on the Development and Achievement of Cambodia's Bays and continue developing the necessary infrastructures that serve tourism sector.

He also pledged not to allow Cambodia’s coastline to become a place for drug trafficking, human trafficking and transnational crime which are disastrous for our society.

2018 Sea Festival, held in Koh Kong province, attracted about 180,000 visitors to the province, according to the minister.
=FRESH NEWS
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

No 2020 Sea Festival for Sihanoukville.

September 26, 2020
Sea Festival to be postponed
The annual Sea Festival, the 9th of its kind, which was supposed to have taken place in the coastal province of Preah Sihanouk at the end of this year has been postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The decision was made by Prime Minister HE in order to protect tourists and citizens from contracting the virus, said the Ministry of Tourism in its official Facebook page.

“Given the situation of COVID-19 in some countries, especially from countries who have visited the Sea Festival in the past, Mr HE has decided to postposen the Sea Festival to next year,” the ministry said.

While the ministry had planned to hold this year’s Sea Festival this year in December 2020, the new date for it has not been confirmed.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50766826/s ... postponed/

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic