Ream Naval Base Hosts Contested Shooting Range

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Ream Naval Base Hosts Contested Shooting Range

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Interesting article:

July 24, 2019
Shooting range splits officials
The Cambodian Gun Club is advertised as “the greatest authentic military experience on earth”, but the site is also a battleground for navy and environment officials who claim jurisdiction over the area.

Ream National Park, Preah Sihanouk province – In Ream National Park, tourists and locals alike arrive via tuk-tuks and cars at a compound where there is a restaurant.

One would think that visitors come here to taste local delicacies, but the sound of gunfire makes it obvious that the compound is a shooting range.

After Ream National Park was established, the Environment Ministry was given a portion of it, while the Ream Naval Base received the other. The Cambodian Gun Club is located along a road in an area contested by both entities.

Environment officials say the establishment of the CGC is a violation of the law because it raises environmental and safety concerns, which were dismissed by navy commanders.

One provincial police official who requested anonymity says the concerns are about illegal land clearance and weapons being taken out of the range.

According to an environment official who also requested anonymity, CGC was built in an area managed by the environment officials, not the navy.

“[The shooting range] began operation in recent years. We acted to prevent the club from being built because it was going to encroach land in a protected area,” the environment officials says. “They stopped temporarily, and we reported to the Environment Ministry, but they resumed construction. When you visit the area [today], you’ll see how it looks.”

“The business belongs to the navy, most of my officials are treated like a threat by them,” he says. “Before, there weren’t many cases of land encroachment, but since the price of land went up, the problem started.”

“We are facing many challenges, we are facing off with powerful people and armed soldiers,” he adds. “Sometimes, when we patrol areas, we face potential legal action and violence.”
Full article: https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50626701/s ... officials/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Ream Naval Base Hosts Contested Shooting Range

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

I heard there was a ****ese torpedo firing range around Ream too.

saalbifrons
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

SternAAlbifrons wrote:I heard there was a ****ese torpedo firing range around Ream too.

saalbifrons
Wait and see. Rumours appear to abound.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Barang chgout wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:16 pm
Wait and see. Rumours appear to abound.

It will probably be in the Wall Street Journal and Bloomburg tomorrow.
- quoting unnamed authoritative satellite photo interpreters believed to be "close to" certain unnamed top-shelf western intell organisations.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

Wasn’t there a barang involved in this, like from the start?
He got jumped by “Russians” a few years back?

Joel?

He probably got out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Barang chgout
Expatriate

Post by Barang chgout »

Joel's still around, in S.R. now i think.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic