Bicycle Tour?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
annie_PEKLON
Tourist
Great Britain

Bicycle Tour?

Post by annie_PEKLON »

Anyone been on any good bicycle tours for the intermediate cycler??
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Bicycle Tour?

Post by explorer »

Do you mean go out and come back in the same day, or travel for days?

What type of things do you like to see?

I recommend not travelling long distance, because the roads are too dangerous. If you want to do long distance, the road from Phnom Penh to Seam Reap is wider and safer than other roads.

You can take a bicycle in a minivan or bus, often for an extra $5.

Lets say you go somewhere and return on the same day. Lets say you see Cambodian villages, and all that goes on in the villages. There are a lot of home businesses, which I find interesting. Tor example, they grow and dry tobacco, grow mushrooms, weaving, dying shirts, frying and packaging banana chips, packing cigarettes, making brooms, making canoes or other woodwork items, then there is construction of houses, just to name a few. If you see anything interesting, just ride in and have a look. Cambodian people are friendly.

A good place for cycling day trips is Kampong Cham. I suggest exploring all different directions, as you will find interesting things in many different places. Maybe start with Kaoh Pan (Pan Island). Dont cross the main bridge in town, but head approximately 3 km south, and cross the concrete bridge to the island. You could spend all day every day for a week and not see it all. There are a lot of trees, which make it nice.

If you want more adventure, cross the bridge in town, head south along the other side of the river, and eventually ride two different ferries to the island. Then back the way you came when you were on the island. The round trip is approximately 40km. The word for ferry in Khmer is almost the same as 'door' in English. If you cant find a ferry, you can ask them.

If you want an even greater adventure, go to Kaoh Pan (Pan Island). Then go to the far end. There is no road for the last few km, but just a dirt track. Dont go shortly after rain, because of the mud. After exploring the village, get a ferry across the river to the island on the other side, and explore the island. You can then go by road back to town. The round trip is also approximately 40km.

As I mentioned, you can go any direction out of Kampong Cham and see interesting things. Check out other places.

I also had a good time in Stung Treng. Cross either bridge and go to the villages on the other side.

In Kratie, you can head south a few km. Get a ferry across the river. Head approximately 10km north. Get another ferry across the river. Head back by road. There are less trees, so it is not as nice.

Kampot is not good for cyclists who want to head out of town, as the roads are too dangerous.

You can basically just go anywhere, then explore. I have been to towns where almost no tourists go, and had a lot of fun.

When you are cycling, it can get very hot. If you start out early in the morning, it is not normally too hot for the first few hours. I often consume a lot of frozen drinks. Another option is to drink sugar cane juice and then eat the ice. You can buy a drink and sit in the shop for a long time, during the hot part of the day.
## I thought I knew all the answers, but they changed all the questions. ##
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Here is an article on Kampong Cham that has some interesting bicycle references by a British travel writer. Some of the info is dated but the later comments by readers and the author are helpful in keeping the general info contained in the article relevant: https://www.bordersofadventure.com/the- ... pong-cham/

Enjoy your trip.
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

Another thing when it is very hot. Buy any kind of drink, and get it with a cup of ice. Pour it in the ice and drink. Then eat the ice. When the weather is very hot, It can really drain your energy. Consuming ice can get your body temperature down to a reasonable level. Have a rest in the shop while you are there.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

explorer wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 am Another thing when it is very hot. Buy any kind of drink, and get it with a cup of ice. Pour it in the ice and drink. Then eat the ice. When the weather is very hot, It can really drain your energy. Consuming ice can get your body temperature down to a reasonable level. Have a rest in the shop while you are there.
But be careful with the crushed ice. It’s made of any kind of water except purified water and unless you’ve been around for a while might give you the mighty runs. Cubes are usually fine.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Check your PM's Annie, i sent you one last night.
annie_PEKLON
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by annie_PEKLON »

Thanks everyone for the great advice, wasn't expecting this much in-depth response!
explorer
Expatriate
Australia

Post by explorer »

I have met some people who have brought expensive bicycles from Europe. You can buy good bicycles in Cambodia, and you dont need to pay too much.

However, if a foreigner tries to buy a bicycle in Phnom Penh, or another area where there are a lot of foreigners, they normally ask stupidly expensive prices.

If you go to a smaller town where there are few foreigners, they normally ask the same prices as they ask the locals. In the very small towns, they may not have a good selection of mountain bikes. In the larger towns often have a good selection of mountain bikes. In Kampong Cham there are shops with a good selection of mountain bikes, at local prices. In one shop there is a selection of mountain bikes and other bikes on the ground floor. They also have a room upstairs with a large number of second hand, what were expensive mountain bikes.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

my bike cost $225 in SHV a few years back . It was new but had clearly been there a while. Since then its had at least 8 chains 6 freewheels (7speed) on chain ring set one wheel respoked , two new wheels, two sets of hand grips, many sets of brake blocks, a complete set of cables and housings and two seats. I doubt a more expensive bike would have had less replacments needed its a harsh enviorment here with the dust and rain even when you look after bikes. Currently I cycle the roads and lanes around Kampot.

Chains are $5 fitted and I get a new one every 3 months as they are worn out by then. They only have one type available in Kampot so no choice. I brought a sram chain back from the uk which I fitted will see how long it last compared to the local ones which are a third of the price.....
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

one_dolla wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:45 am I doubt a more expensive bike would have had less replacements needed its a harsh enviorment here with the dust and rain even when you look after bikes. Currently I cycle the roads and lanes around Kampot.
Expensive bikes have quality parts that don't wear out or break so much, but of course if you are on rough roads a lot that won't help.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic