Solar Lamp Libraries for Rural Schools around Kandal.

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
otteh.edubio
Tourist
Germany

Solar Lamp Libraries for Rural Schools around Kandal.

Post by otteh.edubio »

Hello All,

I am working on a social project as part of a collaboration between ACE Energy Solutions (https://africancleanenergy.com/) and Phillips Lighting (now Signify). As the title suggests we are hoping to setup the infrastructure for Solar Lamps to be borrowed for use within a community using schools as the hub for storage. Right now as this is part of viability, we would like to launch this in 10 schools in total. We would provide them Phillips Solar Lamps and Software to manage their Lamp inventory.

Having this project means that there is access to lights when the power cuts come around, students have lights when going home late at night, they are able to charge their phones using the lamps as well and the format of a library will hopefully ensure the longevity of access to the benfits of free lighting.
https://aashamissiontravel.files.wordpr ... .jpg?w=750

I really want this project going out to the schools that need them the most and that is where I would love some input from Expats involved in any volunteering projects or schools that can put me in touch with schools that can benefit from such a setup. If you work in or with rural schools please can you contact me on this email address: [email protected] or contact us through our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ace1cambodia/. Please also reach out if you can place me in contact with someone who is involved in such a school. I have a strong bias for contacts who can be reached frequently, as a bit of upfront planning is necessary to ensure a smooth launch and a sustainable setup.

This project has already been run in India and once already in Cambodia and we have seen that it led to unforeseen benefits such as increased attendance rates of students, because parents encourage them to go to school to get their solar lamps recharged so that it may be used at home, for homework and communal spaces.

Click on the following links for some pictures to learn more about the project:

India:
https://aashamission.com/2019/04/30/dha ... g-library/

Cambodia:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pzsTzE ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1G28lWl ... sp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Mppg1o ... sp=sharing

I appreciate any form of support from you all.

Warmest Regards
Otteh
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Solar Lamp Libraries for Rural Schools around Kandal.

Post by Kammekor »

Why Kandal?
otteh.edubio
Tourist
Germany

Post by otteh.edubio »

As I said it is a trial at this stage, to understand if we can promote more sustainable use by setting up this Library System and Kandal is just easier to work with because our office in Phnom Penh, places further away might make it a little harder to manage the roll - out.

But I am very open to any suggestions in neighbouring provinces.
whatwat
Expatriate
Hong Kong

Post by whatwat »

otteh.edubio wrote:
This project has already been run in India and once already in Cambodia and we have seen that it led to unforeseen benefits such as increased attendance rates of students, because parents encourage them to go to school to get their solar lamps recharged so that it may be used at home, for homework and communal spaces.

Otteh
Why would they need to go to school to get solar lamps charged?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don’t listen to Chinese whispers.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Why can't you get lists of schools from the relevant government ministry or one of the recognised and established NGO's who work in the education sector.
They would all love free solar lamps.

Once you have produced your credentials to them I am sure they would be more than happy to take as much as you could offer.

Can I suggest that the mod team also seek the OP's credentials (Proof of ID, details of his Phnom Penh office etc) before allowing him to trawl here for people and names and details of people and schools.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:13 pm Can I suggest that the mod team also seek the OP's credentials (Proof of ID, details of his Phnom Penh office etc) before allowing him to trawl here for people and names and details of people and schools.
Already done. :thumb:

You can Google his user name if you like.
otteh.edubio
Tourist
Germany

Post by otteh.edubio »

Not really shure how to quote, but @whatwat :

The setup would be that we leave the solar panels at the school and only loan out the lamps to the students to take home. This ensures that more children over time can benefit from the lamps.

@Doc67 : That is exactly what I am doing. It isn't as easy to get in contact with the relevant government ministries but yea I am definitely approaching NGOs, I am just hoping to also maybe get some schools thats are not necessarily "NGO Darlings", hence why I posted there.

Thanks for all the feedback.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

otteh.edubio wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:34 am Not really shure how to quote, but @whatwat :

The setup would be that we leave the solar panels at the school and only loan out the lamps to the students to take home. This ensures that more children over time can benefit from the lamps.

@Doc67 : That is exactly what I am doing. It isn't as easy to get in contact with the relevant government ministries but yea I am definitely approaching NGOs, I am just hoping to also maybe get some schools thats are not necessarily "NGO Darlings", hence why I posted there.

Thanks for all the feedback.
While Kandal province is of course easy when it comes to logistics because the office is in Phnom Penh (like most NGO's...) it fully with your goal / desire to cooperate with schools not being 'NGO darlings'. If you look for those, spread your wings, and look further than the low hanging fruit around Phnom Penh / Siem Reap. Most has been picked already.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic