Reason for staying in guest houses

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Re: Reason for staying in guest houses

Post by Anchor Moy »

Whatever floats your boat I guess. I stayed in hostels when I was 19-21 and that was fine. You meet people who are about at the same stage as you in life. When you are still young, there is a herd instinct, so you want to meet up and belong.

After that, you get over it and get a room of your own. ;-)
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:04 pm I guess most people that do want to save money/arent that precious.
It's almost as if there is some kind of connection between standard of living and finance.

Hmmm... I haven't figured out what it is yet.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

CamExpat wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:01 pm Well, $4 is about 8 beers if I remember correctly. :beer3:
Yep and after the eight beers you can bunk up with lots strangers farting and snoring if I got to that stage I'd re-evaluate my needs to travel there must be more to it than saving a dollar or two that's why I asked the brainless question
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Stinkman
Expatriate

Post by Stinkman »

atst wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am The thought of sleep in a six bunk room with total strangers sharing bathroom with don't know how many to save a couple dollars a night has never appealed to me ,
Can someone please enlighten me on the attraction and what I'm missing
Depends entirely on who the other bunk mates are.

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

atst wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am what do you do when you meet a friend for the night?
i once stayed in a hostel on Koh Samui when i first came over,
i know many posters probably wont believe it but i actually shacked up with a white bird who was also staying there,
back when the yellow fever hadn't ruined my life yet!
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
fax
Expatriate
Korea North

Post by fax »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:42 am i actually shacked up with a white bird
You should get that checked by a doctor. White birds have all kind of disease. Cheap cheap
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

I had the misfortune of staying at a hostel in New Orleans once.

Didn’t realize it was a hostel, because I had rented a single room(online). It was a single bed room wedged between rooms with 6 and 8 beds each. Shared bathroom, kitchen, the works. Paper thin walls. Loud partying at all hours on the weekend.

Hostels are not conducive to focused studying overnight, getting up early, getting suitably dressed in business attire, and then promptly leaving on schedule.
ressl
Expatriate
Germany

Post by ressl »

A dorm bed goes for 3$50...
Driving on Cambodian roads is just like playing a classic arcade top scroller. The only difference is a force feedback controller, the limitation to only one life and the inability to restart, once Game Over
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

fax wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:57 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:42 am i actually shacked up with a white bird
You should get that checked by a doctor. White birds have all kind of disease. Cheap cheap
she was Canadian so it was safe
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Seasquatch
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Seasquatch »

Stinkman wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 pm
atst wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:43 am The thought of sleep in a six bunk room with total strangers sharing bathroom with don't know how many to save a couple dollars a night has never appealed to me ,
Depends entirely on who the other bunk mates are.

And if you're lucky they'll make you Feijoada in the morning :mrgreen:
------
aka Yankee Gringo Gaijin aka Seppy Yank
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic