Prenatal Doctor in PP (recommendations)

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Prenatal Doctor in PP (recommendations)

Post by stupid-barang »

I am looking for a good prenatal doctor in PP that won't break the bank.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Re: Prenatal Doctor in PP (recommendations)

Post by TWY »

I don't know how large the bank is but I would recommend the gynecologist at Royal Hospital. There were four on staff during the years when we had our kids including a Khmer woman (believe her name was Dr Remi). Two US board certified gentlemen. And a woman from another SE country that I can't remember (believe her name sounds like Moo Moo). I found all of them to be at least good. And I felt the deliveries were very professional and well supported (even at 1am in the morning).

Good luck.
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Thanks, I've been to Royal a few times. Do you remember what the fees were like?
Bubble T
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Bubble T »

We did our first few check ups at Royal with Dr Mu Mu. The staff (the nurses, not Dr Mu Mu, she was great) were incredibly rude and dismissive and refused to answer even basic questions. We ended up going to Khema Clinic where we had a much better experience. It looks a bit less flashy but they were far more professional and the birth happened without any issues.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

stupid-barang wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:45 am Thanks, I've been to Royal a few times. Do you remember what the fees were like?
---------------------------------------------
Generally I felt things were reasonable.

They had a delivery package (available only if you have your monthly checkups with them). It was very reasonable for our first child - something like $1400 which included the nurses, doctors, delivery, nursery, and three or four days hospital room. And I think the total bill was something like $1700. For our second child we were out in Siem Reap and didn't go there for monthly visits so I ended up paying about $3K for the delivery (all in). I believe they have raised the cost of the delivery package to $2K - they have a pamphlet that lists what is included and the price.

For the monthly checkups I think the bills ran anywhere from $40 to $200 depending on what tests were done. I can't remember the doctor/hospital fees off the top of my head - but I think to see the doctor was only $10 or $15 and hospital fee was $5. I'm sure you could call and they'll tell you the rates today. I do remember that my wife's sonicgrams were only about $20.

IN regards to the comments about the nurses. In the clinic I'd agree there are a few "real winners" - which I attribute to both being fairly busy - and one or two of them not approving of my wife's choice of husband :). I just acted oblivious and, if needed, I'd just keep right on asking however times was necessary to get some action. I do have a very good opinion of the nurses in the delivery room and on the post delivery floor/nursery. In fact, they remembered me the 2nd time - which is a decent sign that the turnover is low.

If you have your delivery at Royal, one thing to take care of prior to delivery is a form you have to fill in to get the certificate of birth (or whatever its called) issued. You need this to later get the birth certificate from wherever your wife is registered. They will not help you fill this out. That means you need to translate the child's name into Khmer on your own (and a few other things like occupation, etc). Ask for the form prior to delivery and save yourself a lot of last second hassles and overpriced translation service.

Only other thing I'd add is that Dr Remi is Khmer and that allowed my wife to be able to freely communicate with her doctor in Khmer.
Patcan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by Patcan »

ImageImage
Highly recommend this Russian doctor.
Step 1 for us was removing ovarian cysts.
Step 2 was 3 month reducing size of a cyst that regenerated.
Step 3 was producing a high red blood cell count and fast-tracking a pregnancy (2 months and she was pregnant)
Step 4....All the tests and the doctor's guidance.
Step 5 Healthy baby Anna
Consultation $45 at her office 60$ at hospital.
Good luck!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

Khema clinic have prenatal and delivery packages that are quite reasonable. Dr Maryan delivered our boy. Staff were great.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Word of warning - make sure that if you do not choose a fully equipped hospital that you are bloody close to one. mant maternity units here do not have the equipment or staff to deal with emergencies so mum has to be transported to Calmette or the like. if i was paying for it I would oscar mike to thialand at the appropriate time
stupid-barang
Expatriate

Post by stupid-barang »

Thanks everyone.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic