Lucky Supermarket overcharging

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Lucky Supermarket overcharging

Post by Duncan »

Three times now in the last few months I have caught Lucky over charging me for items that were
on the shelf at one price but rang up on the check out at a much higher price. Each time I demanded to see the manager and every time they tried to say ,but that was a special promotion price and is now back to normal price.
Here is todays ripoff.

ImageImageImage
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Lucky Supermarket overcharging

Post by canucklhead »

Good deal on the oj.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Has been happening for years, question is why do you shop at Lucky when you have so much more choice for supermarkets (also why keep going back after three rip offs)?. Lucky has always been overpriced, hidden charges, wrong prices on items, questionable quality of fresh produce particularly meat. The Lucky in central market has Thai Hout and Bayon nearby, same the other on Sihanouk you have a couple of Super Dupers and a Thai Hout in the vicinity so no reason to force yourself to go to Lucky
A10
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by A10 »

Unless I'm only shopping at markets with these kinds of practices and there's honest grocers I am not aware of, I haven't found an honest grocer in my area since I've gotten back, and I frequent 4 different stores. ALL of them overcharge, mislabel etc.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:34 pm Has been happening for years, question is why do you shop at Lucky when you have so much more choice for supermarkets (also why keep going back after three rip offs)?. Lucky has always been overpriced, hidden charges, wrong prices on items, questionable quality of fresh produce particularly meat. The Lucky in central market has Thai Hout and Bayon nearby, same the other on Sihanouk you have a couple of Super Dupers and a Thai Hout in the vicinity so no reason to force yourself to go to Lucky
Exactly. I think I've been into lucky maybe four times in the past six years. If anything is "on sale" though, you have to be careful in every supermarket. Thai Huot is usually pretty good, but Super Duper went through a phase where everything would ring at regular price despite having discounts (30-50%) clearly labelled. It's a bit better now, but you still have to stare as the prices get displayed and be diligent. No consumer laws here, so just keep your wits and tell them every time you see a discrepancy. When I took the lady to see the family back home she was amazed that we get items for free if the price on the till is different from what's advertised on the shelf.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Probably I should have mentioned that it was Lucky at Takhmau and there is no other s/market there that stocks most things ( that my kids) I want.

I have stopped taking them to the upstairs part for chicken, burger and chips, cause since the change of
manger / owner? the place has gone from the very best to the very worst.

When in PP I mostly buy at Bayon.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Are you an Ovaltiney member too?

timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Lucky Premium at Exchange Square does nice roast chickens for $4.50 and also has sushi.

But, as in the name, most things do cost a premium there.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 pm Lucky Premium at Exchange Square does nice roast chickens for $4.50 and also has sushi.

Sushi.
Ummm... 'you mean as in raw fish? In Cambodia?? from Lucky's???

You're a brave man Tim.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

SternAAlbifrons wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:51 pm Lucky Premium at Exchange Square does nice roast chickens for $4.50 and also has sushi.

Sushi.
Ummm... 'you mean as in raw fish? In Cambodia?? from Lucky's???

You're a brave man Tim.
Haha. I said they have it. Didn't say I buy it. The roast chickens are good though.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic