$120 to wire $700 out of Cambodia?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

$120 to wire $700 out of Cambodia?

Post by Nixon »

Quick question

I wired $700 to my personal account back home and ended up paying $120 in different fees.

It is ridiculous. So the question is as follows..

What is the easiest and cheapest way to wire money OUT of Cambodia?

Thanks in advance
Terry Fishsauce
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: $120 to wire $700

Post by Terry Fishsauce »

Find someone who want's to make the opposite transaction.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I've had the same problems, sending money by that telegraphic transfer or whatever the fuck they call that dinosaur shit is a total rip-off. I've paid $125 to wire €30 before, but there wasn't any other way to do it so I just sucked it up.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

If I may, and for fear of being ridiculed. It depends what you are sending and where. Assuming the $ sign is money from CAM to USA? I use Moneygram to send money from various countries to either UK or Cambodia. Exchange rate is pegged to the US$, and I never pay more than $5 for a transaction. As long as the money is being sent to a proper bank account, and not a person to be cashed ;) I have never had an issue. (I have an ABA bank account and send money there. Whether I send $50 or $5000 makes no odds. I pay $5 charge.)
jrjrjr
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jrjrjr »

Transferwise ?
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

Yerg wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:21 am If I may, and for fear of being ridiculed. It depends what you are sending and where. Assuming the $ sign is money from CAM to USA? I use Moneygram to send money from various countries to either UK or Cambodia. Exchange rate is pegged to the US$, and I never pay more than $5 for a transaction. As long as the money is being sent to a proper bank account, and not a person to be cashed ;) I have never had an issue. (I have an ABA bank account and send money there. Whether I send $50 or $5000 makes no odds. I pay $5 charge.)
So,I would need an account at ABA and they could then provide that service?
Nixon
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Nixon »

John Bingham wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:23 pm but there wasn't any other way to do it so I just sucked it up.
Same as me
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Yerg wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:21 am If I may, and for fear of being ridiculed. It depends what you are sending and where. Assuming the $ sign is money from CAM to USA? I use Moneygram to send money from various countries to either UK or Cambodia. Exchange rate is pegged to the US$, and I never pay more than $5 for a transaction. As long as the money is being sent to a proper bank account, and not a person to be cashed ;) I have never had an issue. (I have an ABA bank account and send money there. Whether I send $50 or $5000 makes no odds. I pay $5 charge.)
transfer is dependent on the intermediary branch. Many banks use these when money comes and goes to ususally a bank in Hong Kong or Singapore like Standard Chartered they take the big slice even if your Cambodian Bank says it charges $5 and the bank you send to takes $5 the middle bank can take $60-$100. These are the most recommended by regular transferrers in Cambodia:

https://transferwise.com/?fbclid=IwAR3i ... kvIum8FO4w
https://www.xendpay.com/?fbclid=IwAR2_d ... PcgK9JVmoQ
https://www.riamoneytransfer.com/us/en
CamExpat
Expatriate
Canada

Re: $120 to wire $700 out of Cambodia?

Post by CamExpat »

Its the way the correspondent banking network works. Each bank in the chain takes a cut and it adds up. Cambodia being high risk, so not many banks will partner with the banks here. This makes it expensive and transfers from Cambodia likely go through 1 or 2 more hops then banks in other countries.

Up until recently, there was no way to know what the fees were in advance. But the Cambodoan banks likely don't have abiity to calculate that yet.

You might try payoneer as well. I have received money with them but not sent. Sender is paying $20 at the moment. (Not as good as transferwise)
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: $120 to wire $700 out of Cambodia?

Post by phuketrichard »

i know there fees are higher than banks in thailand but maybe lower in Cambodia
https://locations.westernunion.com/sear ... phnom+penh
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic